Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Skyline aka our Infiniti G35 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-05, 05:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ok that's enough guys... please, i am so tired of this. talk about cars, yes, but what you guys are doing here? no. period, very clear. if i see that again i am going to do something about it. i am very serious, i have seen more than enough of this.
Old 09-14-05, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Whats so hard about buying the nice those nicely designed, thick Infiniti All Weather mats for your car or just buying new floormats when the original ones get worn out? My coworker has a set in her G35C and they look pretty good. They actually look nice and do a better job of protecting your original carpet instead of a universal Wal Mart floormat that slides around and does nothing but collect and slide dirt onto the original floormats anyway.
I agree that rubber mats are the way to go. I have almost never had a car without them. Trying to keep fabric and carpeted mats presentable in lousy weather (and often even in dry weather) is just about hopeless....especially in the lighter colors.
I won't get involved in the factory-vs.-aftermarket mat arguement, but I do want to say that the amount a rubber floor mat will slide around is dependant on many things....the compound of the rubber used, the design and length of the rubber nibs on the bottom ( not all mats have them ) , the material used and the depth of the carpet in the vehicle, what kind of mechanism you have holding the mat in place (some vehicles have a built-in-hole in the mat and a clip that sticks up from the carpeting and holds it in place).
If you are buying an aftermarket mat, I would suggest that you see if the store will allow you to actually try it out on the carpet and put a little pressure on it to see if it will slide. You don't even have to take it out of the package.....just bend the exposed half down and open, place it on the exposed part of the carpet, and see how much resistance it has to sliding. You may have to trim a little on the edges to make room for things like the gas filler handle, trunk release, etc..... or just reach under the mat when you need to get at the handles.
Also keep in mind that the higher the built-in ridges in the mat, the more water and dirt it will trap without running over onto the carpet.
My experience ( with my ultra-big and ultra-heavy size 15 shoes ), is that the drivers' one lasts about two years on average....the passenger's, of course, depending on how often people ride with you.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-14-05 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-20-05, 01:59 PM
mystify
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from an es300 -> 2005 g35 sedan, I can make some comparisions.

A Lexus has a wayyy better interior. Sure the G puts a huge smile on my face when I take it out fo ra ride, but when I'm not moving and I start staring at the car/looking around... I wished I had my Lexus back.

The interior's not as good on the G, and my goodness... the Bose system blose XD

The G35 is still a great car.. but a Lexus it is not. If you want refined luxury, go with a Lexus. If you want performance now, play with the G. But if you wait until next month for the new IS... the G35 might not be a contender anymore.

There are a lot of mods for the G though. But even with the mods, you mainly gain noise and not a lot of performance. WIth the 2nd Gen GS, you can get quite a bit of performance, like TC/LSD upgrade.
Old 09-20-05, 06:58 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by mystify
Coming from an es300 -> 2005 g35 sedan, I can make some comparisions.

A Lexus has a wayyy better interior. Sure the G puts a huge smile on my face when I take it out fo ra ride, but when I'm not moving and I start staring at the car/looking around... I wished I had my Lexus back.

The interior's not as good on the G, and my goodness... the Bose system blose XD

The G35 is still a great car.. but a Lexus it is not. If you want refined luxury, go with a Lexus. If you want performance now, play with the G. But if you wait until next month for the new IS... the G35 might not be a contender anymore.

There are a lot of mods for the G though. But even with the mods, you mainly gain noise and not a lot of performance. WIth the 2nd Gen GS, you can get quite a bit of performance, like TC/LSD upgrade.
Well said and welcome to CL!
Old 10-10-05, 01:34 PM
ShenLong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
I just checked KBB (the dealer one which is more accurate, not the consumer one) on the retail value of a 2003 GS300 vs a 2003 G35 sedan, both with 45,000 miles. The GS came in at about $31,225 vs the G35 at about $25,025. The residual value that was linked over isn't accurate because there is a new '06 GS body style out and whenever that happens, the old body style goes down in residual from the bank. So it really isn't a fair comparison since we have been sold out of '05 GS's since last March. Also, the bank "forecasts" what they believe a new car to be worth in the next 3 years, but that doesn't mean they will be on target. You have to factor in the current market value or "cash value". What is someone willing to pay for this car in 3 years?

The G35 is a decent car for the money, but I'd take a 2nd gen GS anyday, anytime.
Yeah but how much did the person pay for the 03 GS300? I know someone who bought a decked out 05 G35 for $30k out the door.
Old 10-10-05, 04:12 PM
2ndchance
Pole Position

Hopefully someone will lock these trolling resurrections.
Old 10-10-05, 07:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 2ndchance
Hopefully someone will lock these trolling resurrections.
That somebody is me