Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Skyline aka our Infiniti G35 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-05, 03:27 AM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Nissan Skyline aka our Infiniti G35 Sedan

Just wondering if anybody here owns one, or has owned one? I've been meaning to check it out in person for ages, so I decided to head over to the dealership today since I had some free time. The price tag and 3.5L RWD configuration really got me interested. Heard the handling is pretty neat too but have yet to test drive one. Although the engine seems like a PITA to work on.
On the other hand, styling is pretty good, except I'm not a fan of the air conditioning display being on top of the dashboard with the controls in the center...might make it a bit inconvenient when it comes to adjusting settings. Other than that, the quality of the materials seem to be simillar to that of Nissan, not as top notch as Lexus and it doesn't seem to have as much features as a Lexus: no cassette player, no trip computer, no light sensing headlights, no auto dimming door mirrors and no reverse tilt, no rear window sunshade, no memory seats...the list goes on. in the end, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Falcon LS; 09-11-05 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-11-05, 09:39 AM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Most people buy the G35 and G35x with what Infiniti calls "Premium Package C". It includes all the stuff your car was missing plus a ton of other stuff like Smart Key entry etc..
Old 09-11-05, 11:15 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

there was a long thread about this here if you search.

Biggest complaint from owners is the seat is unconfortable for long rides and you can't change the seats due to the airbags. I would think the seat is one of the most important things in buying a car and would personally be a deal breaker for me.
Old 09-11-05, 04:32 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my friend has a g35X..it handles awesome i was shocked how nice it was
Old 09-11-05, 04:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I haven't actually owned a G35 sedan but I've looked at them closely and test-drove one.
It drove pretty much like a BMW 3-series....minus maybe a little steering feel.....only much better assembled, without the usual BMW creaks and rattles. G35's are a little bulkier and heavier on the outside but IMO handle just as well...easily the RWD car's best feature. Fit-and-finish is OK, but, as you note, in the past not up to Lexus standards. Inside, materials are basically just a small notch above regular Nissans and no more....though the latest Altima has been improved quite a bit here, and the Rosewood console on the new G35's are a step up also. Two nice features the G35 has that similiar Lexus products don't are the articulating A/C vents and the fact that the whole instrument cluster tilts up and down with the steering wheel....a good feature for tall drivers who normally have the top of the cluster blocked from view.

If you are willing to trade a small amount of power, gas mileage, steering feel, and high-speed cornering for MUCH better wet and snowy-road traction, go with the All-Wheel-Drive G35X.....that would be my choice. Make sure, though, that even with AWD, you don't try and run summer-only high-performance low-profile tires on slippery roads. Many sports sedans came with them standard..... they are almost worthless on anything but dry surfaces, and wear very quickly besides. If you get AWD, either get one with all-season tires or have an extra set of mounted all-seasons for the winter months.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-11-05 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-11-05, 05:17 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Falcon LS
Just wondering if anybody here owns one, or has owned one? I've been meaning to check it out in person for ages, so I decided to head over to the dealership today since I had some free time. The price tag and 3.5L RWD configuration really got me interested. Heard the handling is pretty neat too but have yet to test drive one. Although the engine seems like a PITA to work on.
On the other hand, styling is pretty good, except I'm not a fan of the air conditioning display being on top of the dashboard with the controls in the center...might make it a bit inconvenient when it comes to adjusting settings. Other than that, the quality of the materials seem to be simillar to that of Nissan, not as top notch as Lexus and it doesn't seem to have as much features as a Lexus: no cassette player, no trip computer, no light sensing headlights, no auto dimming door mirrors and no reverse tilt, no rear window sunshade, no memory seats...the list goes on. in the end, you get what you pay for.
i believe most of these features are available.. i dont know about you, but who uses cassette tapes anymore? it should have a rear sunshade.. heck my 2000 infiniti i30 has one, has memory seats as well... and almost all cars these days except the cheapest ones have auto headlights.
Old 09-11-05, 05:28 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

It's a great car for the money, drives very well, mod-friendly, perfect entry-level "luxury" sports sedan. But, as others have said, interior still feels cheap (common pieces across most of the Nissan/Infiniti lineup) for what one would expect in that price range.
Old 09-11-05, 05:57 PM
LexFather

2003 G35 sedans are going for the price of 2001 IS 300s here in Atlanta. This means you can find some under 20k, and low 20s with no problem. That is a GREAT deal, IMO, for a G35 sedan.

Personally, I think its asinine having the seat controls under your ***, the controls on the other side of the damn console and the sedan looks ugly to me and the badge does nothing for me.

But DRIVING it, well that is its case. The car is a BLAST to drive stock. Torque V-6, abundance of power in any gear, handles GREAT, better for 99.9% of the people out there. And there are mods for it. And its a sleeper, no one knows what an infiniti is, let alone a G35. I can see people getting quite a few surprises at stoplights.

For 20k, I can live past the god-awful interior and all the negatives. Think about it. 20k. There is NOTHING that NEW for that PRICE close.

Old 09-11-05, 06:15 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
2003 G35 sedans are going for the price of 2001 IS 300s here in Atlanta. This means you can find some under 20k, and low 20s with no problem. That is a GREAT deal, IMO, for a G35 sedan.

Personally, I think its asinine having the seat controls under your ***, the controls on the other side of the damn console and the sedan looks ugly to me and the badge does nothing for me.

But DRIVING it, well that is its case. The car is a BLAST to drive stock. Torque V-6, abundance of power in any gear, handles GREAT, better for 99.9% of the people out there. And there are mods for it. And its a sleeper, no one knows what an infiniti is, let alone a G35. I can see people getting quite a few surprises at stoplights.

For 20k, I can live past the god-awful interior and all the negatives. Think about it. 20k. There is NOTHING that NEW for that PRICE close.
you feelin ok?
Old 09-11-05, 06:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by chuckb
you feelin ok?
LOL, yup. I just think Nissans are hella overpriced. They share EVERYTHING, the price should be cheaper than everyone. Instead, they have great marketing and some stylish cars and people are willing to pay more or an equivilent price for them, more power to Nissan/Renault and it reflects in their profits and financial statements.

For 20-24k, a G35 is a GREAT car to buy used. Hell, leather/sunroof sedans go for 28k new! That is a steal.
I love Lexus, but it would be HARD to get a used IS 300 over a used G35 unless your going to FI the IS.

Old 09-11-05, 09:42 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

For 20-24k, a G35 is a GREAT car to buy used. Hell, leather/sunroof sedans go for 28k new! That is a steal.
No it's not.

The G35 sedan is going the way of the Q and I series vehicles - its value is dropping like a rock. When you tire of it in a few years, it'll be worth about 8k. No thanks.

I'll take a 2nd gen GS in that price range instead. I'll bet you would too.
Old 09-12-05, 12:38 AM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Thanks a lot for the info! Seems like a pretty nice car, but as everybody pointed out...no match for Lexus!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I haven't actually owned a G35 sedan but I've looked at them closely and test-drove one.
It drove pretty much like a BMW 3-series....minus maybe a little steering feel.....only much better assembled, without the usual BMW creaks and rattles. G35's are a little bulkier and heavier on the outside but IMO handle just as well...easily the RWD car's best feature. Fit-and-finish is OK, but, as you note, in the past not up to Lexus standards. Inside, materials are basically just a small notch above regular Nissans and no more....though the latest Altima has been improved quite a bit here, and the Rosewood console on the new G35's are a step up also. Two nice features the G35 has that similiar Lexus products don't are the articulating A/C vents and the fact that the whole instrument cluster tilts up and down with the steering wheel....a good feature for tall drivers who normally have the top of the cluster blocked from view.

If you are willing to trade a small amount of power, gas mileage, steering feel, and high-speed cornering for MUCH better wet and snowy-road traction, go with the All-Wheel-Drive G35X.....that would be my choice. Make sure, though, that even with AWD, you don't try and run summer-only high-performance low-profile tires on slippery roads. Many sports sedans came with them standard..... they are almost worthless on anything but dry surfaces, and wear very quickly besides. If you get AWD, either get one with all-season tires or have an extra set of mounted all-seasons for the winter months.
Perfect summary!

Dynasty SC, true, cassette tapes are rarely used...but it doesn't really hurt to have one. I tend to make use of it every now and then, so it's pretty much a convenience thing. Unfortunately, it didn't have a sunshade though...probably an optional extra.
Old 09-12-05, 12:45 AM
Variance
Driver

Originally Posted by pvmike1
No it's not.

The G35 sedan is going the way of the Q and I series vehicles - its value is dropping like a rock. When you tire of it in a few years, it'll be worth about 8k. No thanks.

Is that why the Automotive Lease Guide awarded the G35 with the best residual value in its category for 2005?

http://www.alg.com/press_detail.aspx?id=31

Residual Value Data (2005 models):

G35: http://www.cars.com/go/alg/index.jsp...=G35&year=2005

330i: http://www.cars.com/go/alg/index.jsp...RIES&year=2005

C-Class: http://www.cars.com/go/alg/index.jsp...LASS&year=2005

Just for the heck of it...

GS300: http://www.cars.com/go/alg/index.jsp...S300&year=2005

So as you can see, the G in fact has great resale (not to mention better than the 2nd-gen GS you'd pick over it).
Old 09-12-05, 10:47 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pvmike1
No it's not.

Speaking of tires....

...I think they fixed that issue with some suspension tweaks, but the old ones may not have it done.

At 20k its a good deal, but I've never seen them that cheap.
Old 09-12-05, 11:14 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove one with my g/f (for her) a few weeks ago. The g35 is a very nice car in terms of performance an styling. The handling is very tight and the acceleration is impressive (298hp, 6spd). As for the interior, the seats and ride quality is a little stiff, it might get uncomfortable for long trips...well it is a performance car, so i guess its o.k.
My friend has a bmw 330 and It will absolutely demolish it! Over all, I would love to own it.
BTW, she didn't like the stiff ride, so I think shes going to wait for the new IS.

Last edited by vin 78; 09-12-05 at 11:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Nissan Skyline aka our Infiniti G35 Sedan