Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevrolet HHR's multiplying like rabbits.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-05, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Chevrolet HHR's multiplying like rabbits.

Guys......I know there has been a lot of controversy here at CL about this vehicle but I think GM may be on to something. I don't have any hard sales figures for this vehicle yet ( it may be too early ) and AmethySC or 1SICKLEX will probably post the latest GM figures any way when they become available. But .......here in my area I have distinctly noticed a BIG increase in the number of new HHR's on the roads in just the last two weeks or so. This vehicle is definitely starting to sell.
I don't need to go into the car in detail. Like the PT Cruiser being a redone Dodge Neon, most of you guys already know that the HHR is pretty much a redone compact Chevy Cobalt, so I won't take time to go into the car's mechanicals and specs. And it is obvious, despite public statements by GM's Bob Lutz to the contrary, that the PT Cruiser is the primary competition, despite the fact that the Cruiser now also has convertible and turbo versions.
I have mixed feelings about this vehicle's looks, but overall I have a favorable impression of it. The vehicle in real life....and, like I said, I have seen a number of them in just the past few weeks....IMO looks much better than it does in photos....especially in the burnt-orange copper color. I'm somewhat anxious to see the first sales figures come in......but it looks like this vehicle is going to be a success. For one thing, it offers classic retro-1949 Suburban looks with modern 4-cylinder compact gas mileage.....important with today's gas prices. I think that, among others, is one of the things driving the sales....and employee pricing doesn't hurt either.
http://www.chevrolet.com/hhr/photogallery/

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-11-05 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-11-05, 05:44 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first saw one I was just surprised at how small it was. I don't like them for me, and honestly I'm surprised they are selling so well seeing how far behind the PT Cruiser Craze GM is. I guess with all their flops, one mediocer looking car was bound to do good. Please GM, keep it rolling with cars like this, the Z06, new V8 Grand Prix, and Trailblazer SS.

James
Old 09-11-05, 05:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Guys......I know there has been a lot of controversy here at CL about this vehicle but I think GM may be on to something. I don't have any hard sales figures for this vehicle yet ( it may be too early ) and AmethySC or 1SICKLEX will probably post the latest GM figures any way when they become available. But .......here in my area I have distinctly noticed a BIG increase in the number of new HHR's on the roads in just the last two weeks or so. This vehicle is definitely starting to sell.
I don't need to go into the car in detail. Like the PT Cruiser being a redone Dodge Neon, most of you guys already know that the HHR is pretty much a redone compact Chevy Cobalt, so I won't take time to go into the car's mechanicals and specs. And it is obvious, despite public statements by GM's Bob Lutz to the contrary, that the PT Cruiser is the primary competition, despite the fact that the Cruiser now also has convertible and turbo versions.
I have mixed feelings about this vehicle's looks, but overall I have a favorable impression of it. The vehicle in real life....and, like I said, I have seen a number of them in just the past few weeks....IMO looks much better than it does in photos....especially in the burnt-orange copper color. I'm somewhat anxious to see the first sales figures come in......but it looks like this vehicle is going to be a success. For one thing, it offers classic retro-1949 Suburban looks with modern 4-cylinder compact gas mileage.....important with today's gas prices. I think that, among others, is one of the things driving the sales....and employee pricing doesn't hurt either.
http://www.chevrolet.com/hhr/photogallery/
GREAT thread b/c I cannot lie, these things have caught my eye in a GOOD way, unlike the PT Cruiser. And I've seen quite a few of them already.

Looks like a hit

Old 09-11-05, 05:57 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

It an alright car. Not the greatest looking car(not really into small crossovers yet), but definitely better looking than the aging PT Cruiser and others in its price range. I'm sure its one of the better built GM vehicles. I do like some of the small design details, like the bright chrome grill, hatch, door handles and roof rack and bulging fender flairs.

Price seems very competitive as well.

I have seen a lot down in Florida when I was vacationing, but yet to see them driving around in Philly and NJ. I too have seen it in that Burnt Orange color which demands attention and a bright blue as well.

And yes, compared to pics, this car is pretty damn small.
Old 09-11-05, 07:18 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I was behind one the other day after the gym and To me it just a glorified PT cruiser.. Sorry guys I'm not a fan of this...

T
Old 09-11-05, 07:49 PM
Dixond
Pole Position

meh... to me it looks like they're trying to redesign the minivan
Old 09-11-05, 07:58 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think its a handsome car. A far cry from the same company that released the Aztek. I was never a fan of the PT Cruiser, but I'm instantly taking a liking to the HHR. Much smaller in person than the ad pics make it seem.
Old 09-11-05, 08:06 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Not feeling that car at all
Old 09-11-05, 08:54 PM
UndrAchvr
Driver School Candidate

That POS sucks!!!!
Cheesy soccer mom minivan.
Looks so cheaply made,
o wait it is!!!!
Old 09-12-05, 06:53 AM
4runnin
Driver School Candidate

Great another crappy GM!!!!!
They all look the same to me, cheap lookin!!!!
Old 09-12-05, 08:00 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

With the four-banger there's probably not a lot of appeal for the enthusiast crowd, but as a practical second car, a grocery-getter, a Home Depot shopper, or a mini-size minivan, the HHR, like the PT will find a ready market.

Its retro-fifties look reminds me of a University Chevy panel truck I drove when I worked at college. An ex-Air Force vehicle, that old '53 with well over 100K on the clock (this is when a car with 50K was often a junker) had a manual transmission, no radio, no heater, not even a back seat. While the old Blue Flame six might turn over reluctantly on a cold morning, it would start when other vehicles in the fleet would not. It was old, beaten, and ugly, but it was reliable and utilitarian - and it always held a certain charm for me . . . Beneath the faded blue paint and the "Property of U. S. Air Force Official Use Only" stencil still visible on the doors lay a faithful friend.

Now if the HHR were only available in a smudged denim blue with a factory rust patina . . .