Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Party Crashers - GM makes hay outside Toyota's gig

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-05, 07:33 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Party Crashers - GM makes hay outside Toyota's gig

You've heard of the wedding crashers. How 'bout the party crashers?

Toyota Motor Corp., riding high and living large thanks to its status as the most profitable automaker in world history, spent $800,000 to rent out Chicago's Millennium Park Thursday for a VIP-only dealer event.

Since the park opened a little more than a year ago, tourists have flocked to see its fountains, Frank Gehry architecture and Cloud Gate, a 110-ton, bean-shaped stainless-steel sculpture.

Luckily, General Motors Corp. came to the rescue of bummed-out sightseers shut out of the park. A cadre of GM reps showed up and handed out Fisher-Price slide viewers with images of the Cloud Gate and the Jay Pritzker Pavilion. What's more, GM used more than 40 shiny Cadillacs, Hummers and Chevys to give tourists rides to other popular destinations in the Windy City and provided free tickets to Navy Pier attractions and the Museum of Contemporary Art.

Toyota didn't appreciate the intrusion by their (slightly) larger rival. GM stopped giving the free rides at Toyota's request in the early afternoon. "Our intent was never to embarrass Toyota," said GM spokesman Todd Carstensen.

While Chicago's Millennium Park was closed to visitors Thursday for a private event for Toyota dealers, General Motors made the most of the situation by providing free rides to other tourist spots

from detnews
Old 09-12-05, 07:38 PM
LexFather

GM has been gettins its collective **** kicked by Toyota for sometime now. Its just a matter of time TOyota is #1 in SIZE. Its CLEARLY, the #1 car company in the world already.

Old 09-12-05, 07:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
GM has been gettins its collective **** kicked by Toyota for sometime now. Its just a matter of time TOyota is #1 in SIZE. Its CLEARLY, the #1 car company in the world already.
What is even more remarkable is that Toyota, while having ties to other auto manufacturers, does not outright own other companies like GM does, except of course for its own divisions Scion and Lexus. Toyota and Toyota divisions pretty much did this on their own.
Old 09-12-05, 07:57 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What is even more remarkable is that Toyota, while having ties to other auto manufacturers, does not outright own other companies like GM does, except of course for its own divisions Scion and Lexus. Toyota and Toyota divisions pretty much did this on their own.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I agree 100%.
Old 09-12-05, 08:20 PM
UndrAchvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sure all the toyota dealers had a great time rippin on all those hummers and POS GM's on the road.

What a joke!
Old 09-13-05, 12:34 AM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

LMAO! That's hilarious.
Old 09-13-05, 01:51 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I think that was absolutely ignorant.
Old 09-13-05, 02:29 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

"Our intent was never to embarrass Toyota," said GM spokesman Todd Carstensen.
Yeah right
Old 09-13-05, 04:21 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No cime was committed so I guess its all fair in love and war
Old 09-13-05, 06:48 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jimxo
No cime was committed so I guess its all fair in love and war
But it's tasteless and crass. That showed a lack of couth on GM's part.

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised...I mean it is GM.
Old 09-13-05, 07:43 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Good article & good for GM! That's pretty funny!
Old 09-13-05, 08:16 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I actually think it was very clever of GM...put yourself in the shoes of a tourist in Chicago to go see the park only to show up and be told that Toyota has taken it over and you can't see it today...as a consumer you would be more than thrilled to receive a free slide-viewer of the site and a free ride to another desitination...doesn't mean I would go out and buy a GM product, but it would lessen my sour mood of Toyota and the city for renting out a public tourist destination and ruining my vacation plans for that day...

If Toyota was smart, they would of done this themselves...then we would all be praising Toyota for their community insight...reality is that both GM and Toyota are companies out to make a profit...not make your life better (unless it makes them a profit). Kudos to GM...
Old 09-13-05, 09:14 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Wow that's stooping pretty low for GM to do such a stupid stunt. That's why they had to offer employee discounts for all, because Toyota sales never was hurt by it one bit during that time...whereas GM had to take drastic measures to sell their products and sucker customers with freebees and giveaways just to buy their products. This stunt is a perfect example. LOL
Old 09-13-05, 10:29 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KVA
I actually think it was very clever of GM...put yourself in the shoes of a tourist in Chicago to go see the park only to show up and be told that Toyota has taken it over and you can't see it today...as a consumer you would be more than thrilled to receive a free slide-viewer of the site and a free ride to another desitination...doesn't mean I would go out and buy a GM product, but it would lessen my sour mood of Toyota and the city for renting out a public tourist destination and ruining my vacation plans for that day...

If Toyota was smart, they would of done this themselves...then we would all be praising Toyota for their community insight...reality is that both GM and Toyota are companies out to make a profit...not make your life better (unless it makes them a profit). Kudos to GM...
I think they could better use their money by putting more of it into research and development so they stop churning out piles of garbage they call cars

Case in point: The new C6s right out of the factory came with a special crank pulley that pops off on its own!!! Did you know that? Thats so cool
Old 09-13-05, 11:48 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. We're talking about marketing here, not build quality or design. Maybe a bit too brazen, but quite clever. Who shows up to a public park prepared for the possibility that it is rented out? Even if you like Toyota or even drive one I don't think you would be pleased.

Originally Posted by KVA

Quick Reply: Party Crashers - GM makes hay outside Toyota's gig