Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need a car to replace my Z with LOW INSURANCE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-05, 08:17 AM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a car to replace my Z with LOW INSURANCE!

Well the title says it all. Looks like i will need to replace my Z as my insurance rate is through the roof and well deserved ($600/month!!!!!).

Anyways, I need to get something with low rates and something I can still feel somewhat cool in while driving (i know this could be difficult). Does anyone have anything in mind used/leased which will work out and keep my budget to a min. Thanks guys. Now excuse me as a bang my head on my desk untill i bleed again.
Old 09-14-05, 08:23 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

$600/month is insane !! I'm paying much less with my 2 cars combined.
I guess you need something with 4 doors to lower your rates, what's the price range you're looking at ? You want something as fast as the Z ? or just a stylish car to drive in ?
Old 09-14-05, 08:34 AM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

Default well

I dont think I will be able to get anything faster than the Z as that would play into the insurance cost. Trust me, i know how bad my insurance cost is........
Old 09-14-05, 09:00 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

If you just want something cool to drive with lower insurance rates, the first thing that comes to mind is the new IS250.
Sporty, stylish looking sedan that's not too big, & should be fun enough to drive if you don't take it to the track. You may find it underpowered compared to the Z, but I don't think you want to go with the IS350 if you want lower rates . . .
Old 09-14-05, 09:02 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

This is a pretty uninformed opinion but what about the Chryco hemi offerings. The panic buying should be over and you might be able to get a good deal on one of the three with the hemi. Without getting into a flame war about them, I have been pretty favorably disposed to the driving experience of the 300C. No, it will have neither the build quality nor interior spec of just about anything Japanese but maybe you could slide one of these in under the radar of your insurance company. Before you say you have to have two doors, think carefully because I doubt anything with two doors is going to be viewed very kindly by your insurance company with the possible exception of a Miata or Solstice. Just a thought and the hemi will allow you plenty of opportunity to keep that insurance premium astronomical.

Besides, maybe any cost savings you realize with an American car could be sent to the insurance company.
Old 09-14-05, 01:30 PM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RON430
This is a pretty uninformed opinion but what about the Chryco hemi offerings. The panic buying should be over and you might be able to get a good deal on one of the three with the hemi. Without getting into a flame war about them, I have been pretty favorably disposed to the driving experience of the 300C. No, it will have neither the build quality nor interior spec of just about anything Japanese but maybe you could slide one of these in under the radar of your insurance company. Before you say you have to have two doors, think carefully because I doubt anything with two doors is going to be viewed very kindly by your insurance company with the possible exception of a Miata or Solstice. Just a thought and the hemi will allow you plenty of opportunity to keep that insurance premium astronomical.

Besides, maybe any cost savings you realize with an American car could be sent to the insurance company.
Thanks Ron for the info. So you think a 300c would cutt insurance by a lot. Any other ideas or suggestions. Im a 25 yr old who is still trying to have something somewhat "cool" in my driveway and fun to drive.
Old 09-14-05, 01:54 PM
SacKen
Driver

I'm thinking that the reason your insurance is $600/month is not because of the car. Getting a different car may not make that much of a difference if the rate is because of tickets and/or accidents. These days, the car itself doesn't change the rate all that much. For example, my '93 Suzuki, '01 Acura CLS, and '04 Lex GX were all less than 10% difference in rate. Reason being that the Lexus may have more costly parts, but personal injury is much less than if I got into an accident in my little suzuki.... and personal injury is a big chunk of the rate you pay.

Try asking your insurance agent. They usually know. My guess is that RON430 is going down the right path... a domestic 4-door will probably be the lowest (good safety, cheap to fix, not a target of thieves).
Old 09-14-05, 02:03 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

In europe it is much more up front about what class your car falls into. In the US we think a lot more about tickets, accidents, etc. Both are important. But I think you will find that any two door, and the Z is no Solstice, is going to be in one of the more expensive categories. If the little puppies also have a reputation for attracting the vermin thieves, you are doubly cursed. The insurance companies have rolled back their thinking about pure horsepower which is much different than the 60s. The latest actuarial figures I saw showed that there are a higher percentage of payouts on under 200hp cars than over 200hp cars. Please keep in mind that this is always within limits. M5s and Z06s are not going to get a break. First off four door sedans as a class are good for low rates. Domestic is probably also putting you in a lower class. And sometimes insurance companies base most of their rates on the model, like Dodge Charger and don't get too involved in a premium because it has a hemi engine option. There is the Chrysler 300 and the 300C. The only way you get a 300C is with a hemi so this would favor the Magnum or Charger.

Finally, some of the best advice you got in this thread was to have a chat with your agent and see if you can play what if with some different cars. My experience is that the cheapy insurance companies that use the internet or call centers aren't very good at this. The old style, and often more expensive companies, that have agents in local offices are better. Good luck.
Old 09-14-05, 03:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
$600/month is insane !! I'm paying much less with my 2 cars combined.
I guess you need something with 4 doors to lower your rates,
Yes...that kind of insurance money IS nuts.....even for high-risk drivers. I paid only a little over $700 a YEAR for my IS300....less than that for my Outback. But you don't necessarily need to get a 4-door to lower insurance rates. Just stay away from classic two-seaters...insurance companies don't like just two seats.
Give your insurance company a call and see what they want for a Mazda RX-8....maybe a two-year-old one if you cannot afford a new one. The RX-8 has 2 small rear clamshell doors and a small back seat. My guess is insurance will be a little lower than for a Z. If not, you, of course, can go on from there. Be prepared, though, if you buy an RX-8....they use both oil and gas significantly.
Old 09-14-05, 04:46 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I pay less than that for all 3 of my cars with high limits and a low deductible. My Eclipse,
SC400 and Sequoia are also all within $40 of eachother.
Old 09-14-05, 10:44 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a S2000? I was taking a look at the Z before buying the s2k but since I wanted a convertible, I went with the s2k and also because it's a fun car to drive. It's not as torquey as the Z, but as far as performance goes, it runs in the same pack as the Z, rx-8, etc.

~Josh
Old 09-15-05, 04:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joshthorsc
How about a S2000? I was taking a look at the Z before buying the s2k but since I wanted a convertible, I went with the s2k and also because it's a fun car to drive. It's not as torquey as the Z, but as far as performance goes, it runs in the same pack as the Z, rx-8, etc.

~Josh
S2000's, being relatively high-powered 2-seaters, qualify for high premiums. Dgtbullet said he was looking for lower insurance.
Old 09-15-05, 08:12 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dgtbullet
Well the title says it all. Looks like i will need to replace my Z as my insurance rate is through the roof and well deserved ($600/month!!!!!).

Anyways, I need to get something with low rates and something I can still feel somewhat cool in while driving (i know this could be difficult). Does anyone have anything in mind used/leased which will work out and keep my budget to a min. Thanks guys. Now excuse me as a bang my head on my desk untill i bleed again.
Underage DUI got my friend 9k a year. The things they say about blondes
Old 09-15-05, 08:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000gs300
Underage DUI got my friend 9k a year. The things they say about blondes
Heck...for THAT kind of money, why have insurance at all?...........Just use part of it to pay for your OWN accidents, part to bribe the judge if he or she pulls your license, and the rest to bribe the prison guard if the judge locks you up for bribery. If the prison guard won't take the bribe, give it to Bubba to get you out. He'd rather get that from you than....well, never mind.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-15-05 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-15-05, 09:36 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Heck...for THAT kind of money, why have insurance at all?...........Just use part of it to pay for your OWN accidents, part to bribe the judge if he or she pulls your license, and the rest to bribe the prison guard if the judge locks you up for bribery. If the prison guard won't take the bribe, give it to Bubba to get you out. He'd rather get that from you than....well, never mind.
Or just drive a $5K car and give the other guy the keys after the accident assuming you haven't hurt anyone.

After all we have been trying to give the automotive possibilities but the truth is that whatever got tht $7200 a year insurance bill on the Z probably was not the Zs fault and is going to follow to the new car for at least three years after the last event.