Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RL, the good and the bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-05, 07:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

The RL is an excellent vehicle, but I can't justify it's premium over the TL, especially it really itsn't bigger inside & the exterior design is just ho-hum, I like the TL better . . .
Old 09-15-05, 08:14 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
The RL is an excellent vehicle, but I can't justify it's premium over the TL, especially it really itsn't bigger inside & the exterior design is just ho-hum, I like the TL better . . .

Totally agree. To me the TL is the best car Acura makes. Two of my best friends are salesmen for one of the bigger Acura dealers in New Jersey and they cant move them things off the lot at all(They had 33 of them late last month when I went over there). I asked them last month what they were going for, and they told me on average around invoice which is $44,329. CarsDirect in my area can get them for $42,900. We all agreed it was an awsome car, but even some of the big guys(GM and Owner) at the dealership think its overpriced.
Old 09-15-05, 08:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
Totally agree. To me the TL is the best car Acura makes. .
Yes and no. It is a good car, no doubt, but transmissions have been a weak point.
Old 09-15-05, 09:19 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I live in Mexico City, where Acura recently opened its doors to the Mexican market. Unlike the states, they only sel only the MDX, TL and RL. The TL sells quite well but I rarely see an MDX or an RL (usually just someone testing a demo). Infiniti sells only the Q45 now. Lexus is not here yet.

One of my neighbors in my building has a TL and bought it simply because he was sick of Mercedes telling him about great the quality was and the fact he was bringing it in for repair every other month. Loves the power. When I asked him (since he has the dough to buy one) why he would not go with the RL (he hates the Q45), he responded it looks just like a bigger TL but for more money.

I recently walked into the Acura dealer and I wanted to see their sales approach. They really hit hard on the quality of their products repeatedly. Same thing I see at my local Toyota dealer. Honda has the same approach. Meanwhile, Nissan sells their cars here and touts options rather than quality.

Meanwhile, I still get comments from people wherever I drive how much they like my new car, but they are shocked when I tell them it is a 1999 RX300.

Last edited by Lexmex; 09-18-05 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-15-05, 09:20 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes and no. It is a good car, no doubt, but transmissions have been a weak point.
Sorry to hear that. I think the TL is about the best looking thing in that price range. To me, the TL has the look that Bangle was trying to get for bimmer. It is just that Acura got it right. And if you haven't looked at the RL upclose, you owe it to yourself. It is one of those cars that the more you look at it up close, the better it looks. Especially at the reduced price.
Old 09-15-05, 09:32 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Depending on the trim and area, I wouldn't doubt it. Back in 1991 the Acura Legend LS was already hitting $40K or more here in Hawaii. By 1995 (The last year of the Legend) the LS Coupes and GS Sedans were easily selling for about $42K average. I don't specifically know of anyone myself that paid $44K, but i know of a few personally that paid anywhere between $37K and $42K. IMHO, the Legend LS Coupe and GS Sedan were definately worth the money. I've owned 3 second generation Legend's (A 91L, 93 LS Coupe 6-Speed, and 95 LS Coupe automatic for my wife) and I also now own a 93 SC400. My honest opinion is the Legend is the better car. It is not until 1998 with the higher HP motor and VVT engine that I myself would have a hard time choosing between a 95 LS Coupe and SC400. To get back on topic, after owning all those Legends and considering them the best Honda/Acura cars aside from the NSX, I would consider the 2005 RL a worthy replacement. This is the car they should have replaced the Legend with back in 1996, or at leasdt 2001. I would say low $40K is a great price, and while $49K MSRP was a little high, the market value should be around $45K. I would still have bought one at $50K, but the choice is hard because there are a lot of good cars in that price range. At $42K nothing IMHO competes with it. Not even the M35 or GS300. At $45K, I would still think it is ahead of at least the GS300 which I probably would not buy myself. I'd spend more and get the GS430.

One thing I do have to point out is it is amazing how widely prices range from the different markets around the nation. Here in my state the RL is still selling for near MSRP. I see more RLs on the road than the new 06 GS. I seem to see a new GS around 2-3 times a month. I see the RL at least once a week. The one thing in my area that the Acura RL does have an avantage over the Lexus is that they offer navigation. That for me is a big selling point in favor of the RL at this point. That is one reason why if I was ready to buy a new car now the RL probably would win over the GS. I hear next year Lexus will offer navigation to us in my state, so that could even the odds or sway it back to Lexus. I'm just talking about my area and not the nation trend.
Thanks for the post. Sometimes we really are a remarkable community here. I am still amazed that the Legend got to 44K at the end of its life. That was pretty agressive pricing.

It is juvenile to not appreciate diferent car markets. I hope I did not imply that what I have seen in my micro world of silicon valley may have had any relation to anywhere else. Normally we are the Ginza of the US, with the exception of Hawaii. Houses cost more here, gas costs more here (until recently), and cars cost more here. I even saved several thousand dollars on my GS by just getting it in San DIego. At least four years ago. That is why I was so affected by the lowered RL pricing. I really don't know if what is going on around here is going on everywhere but it doesn't seem to be hard to get that 42s price.

Totally unscientifc reporting has more new GSs on the road around here than RLs. I find that difficult to believe as the RL has been out a bit longer and the GS is a little disappointing to me. Not trying to start a flame or get into car attributes, I just haven't seen enough in the new GS to make me want to either trade my existing GS in on it or replace my GS with it (need for something different, that's all). Then again, either one is a lot more exclusive than bimmers, even the new five and three are a lot more plentiful around here already than either new GSs or RLs. I had prolems wtih the RL at 50K, 42K is a lot different if I were looking for that class car.
Old 09-15-05, 09:34 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Oh yeah without a doubt. Every car has its negatives. According to the service guy and tech guy at the same dealership, a few customers are experiencing a droning sound from the tranny around 30-35mph. They said Acura will be releasing a TSB on it shortly. How to fix the problem?? Brand new tranny. They also have many rattle problems coming from the rear.

But with that said, to me the TL is still the better Acura out of the lineup. I love the way it looks and drives for FWD car.
Old 09-15-05, 10:53 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
T

It is juvenile to not appreciate diferent car markets. I hope I did not imply that what I have seen in my micro world of silicon valley may have had any relation to anywhere else. Normally we are the Ginza of the US, with the exception of Hawaii. Houses cost more here, gas costs more here (until recently), and cars cost more here. I even saved several thousand dollars on my GS by just getting it in San DIego. At least four years ago. That is why I was so affected by the lowered RL pricing. I really don't know if what is going on around here is going on everywhere but it doesn't seem to be hard to get that 42s price.

Ahh, SiiconValley. I think the type of car buyer in that area is pretty different from most places. I'm nnot saying they are all rich, although they probably are but I can actually see people in that area buying more Lexus and Mercedes vs Acura cars no matter how good the cara may or may not be. What is surpring to me though in Hawaii we really don't need AWD, but the RL is slling okay here. A lot of it might be because Acura probably is willing to deal a bit more than Lexus is early on when the cars were first released. Our one Lexus dealer in the State likes to sell at MSRP and no deal for a while before they start dealing. I guess when there is no competition it doesn't really matter to them. Lately I have been buying my ussed cars from the mainland and shipping it in for $1000.. Even with the shipping it is often cheaper by a few thousand. Hawaii car prices is just stupid at times. That is for both new and used.

I do have to be honest though. All throughout the release of the new GS I said I wouldn't buy the GS300 and go for the GS430. However, lately I've been thinking that maybe the GS300 is not so bad. Fortunately gas prices are going down for us next week, but Premium was hitting $3.90+ and on some Island's were over $4.00+. I can handle $3.50 or a little higher, and can make enough adjustments at near $4.00, but anything higher and forget it. That would be almost doubling my gas bill. That could be an extra $5000+ each year and I could think if a lot better things to spend $5000 on

Last edited by CK6Speed; 09-15-05 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-15-05, 01:44 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Ahh, SiiconValley. I think the type of car buyer in that area is pretty different from most places. I'm nnot saying they are all rich, although they probably are but I can actually see people in that area buying more Lexus and Mercedes vs Acura cars no matter how good the cara may or may not be. What is surpring to me though in Hawaii we really don't need AWD, but the RL is slling okay here. A lot of it might be because Acura probably is willing to deal a bit more than Lexus is early on when the cars were first released. Our one Lexus dealer in the State likes to sell at MSRP and no deal for a while before they start dealing. I guess when there is no competition it doesn't really matter to them. Lately I have been buying my ussed cars from the mainland and shipping it in for $1000.. Even with the shipping it is often cheaper by a few thousand. Hawaii car prices is just stupid at times. That is for both new and used.

I do have to be honest though. All throughout the release of the new GS I said I wouldn't buy the GS300 and go for the GS430. However, lately I've been thinking that maybe the GS300 is not so bad. Fortunately gas prices are going down for us next week, but Premium was hitting $3.90+ and on some Island's were over $4.00+. I can handle $3.50 or a little higher, and can make enough adjustments at near $4.00, but anything higher and forget it. That would be almost doubling my gas bill. That could be an extra $5000+ each year and I could think if a lot better things to spend $5000 on
I can't speak for the new ones but I have a 2k1 GS430 and my wife has a 2k3 GS300. The GS 300 gets maybe two or three mpg better mileage overall. And I would bet that if someone got an AWD GS3 it would pretty close to a dead heat mileage wise to the GS4.
Old 09-15-05, 02:37 PM
VorghenRiz
Driver School Candidate

Hey, I'm actually one of the few who have an RL, so I figure I'd throw in my $.02. About a month ago, I was in the market for a luxury sedan w/ AWD. Something that I could take up the mountains on a snowy day, and still be in the lap of luxury. My choices came down to the A6, M35x, and RL. After reading through multiple car comparisons, and test driving them, I ended up getting the RL based on three words: Comparably equipped price. Admittingly, the RL didn't blow my socks off, but when I was pricing cars, the RL was simply more bang for my buck in terms of creature comfort content. I love gidgets and gadgets. I'm a technology fiend at heart. Anyhow, since I wasn't completely sold, I ended up leasing the car. The negotiated cap. cost came to $41,500 with zero down, monthly payments being $608 (taxes included) for a 15k mi/3 year lease. 1500 miles later, I'm still happy with the choice I made. If I wasn't, I could still easily get rid of it in 3 years.

To make a long story short, the answer is a whopping "Yes, I chose the RL because of its price." And guess what? Both of the two dealers in my city were willing to do this deal. In the long run, people buy what they want. Despite these deals to be had, I haven't seen too many RL's roaming the roads in my area. But that's okay, as it brings a big grin to my face knowing that I'm one of the few driving this car, instead of all the TL's that I see out on the road.
Old 09-15-05, 02:47 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trd4me
Hey, I'm actually one of the few who have an RL, so I figure I'd throw in my $.02. About a month ago, I was in the market for a luxury sedan w/ AWD. Something that I could take up the mountains on a snowy day, and still be in the lap of luxury. My choices came down to the A6, M35x, and RL. After reading through multiple car comparisons, and test driving them, I ended up getting the RL based on three words: Comparably equipped price. Admittingly, the RL didn't blow my socks off, but when I was pricing cars, the RL was simply more bang for my buck in terms of creature comfort content. I love gidgets and gadgets. I'm a technology fiend at heart. Anyhow, since I wasn't completely sold, I ended up leasing the car. The negotiated cap. cost came to $41,500 with zero down, monthly payments being $608 (taxes included) for a 15k mi/3 year lease. 1500 miles later, I'm still happy with the choice I made. If I wasn't, I could still easily get rid of it in 3 years.

To make a long story short, the answer is a whopping "Yes, I chose the RL because of its price." And guess what? Both of the two dealers in my city were willing to do this deal. In the long run, people buy what they want. Despite these deals to be had, I haven't seen too many RL's roaming the roads in my area. But that's okay, as it brings a big grin to my face knowing that I'm one of the few driving this car, instead of all the TL's that I see out on the road.
Congrats man...that's what i keep telling people...as long as they are happy and enjoying their purchase that's all that counts.....

Just wondering though why you didnt consider the GS 300 AWD?
Old 09-15-05, 03:19 PM
VorghenRiz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS4fun
Congrats man...that's what i keep telling people...as long as they are happy and enjoying their purchase that's all that counts.....

Just wondering though why you didnt consider the GS 300 AWD?
That's a nice GS300AWD you have! Anyhow, I briefly considered the GS3, but the Lexus folks in my area weren't willing to deal at the time. In that instance, I wasn't willing to travel several hundred miles to SoCal for a good deal. (I live in NorCal and previously purchased my IS300 from Beverly Hills. Go figure ) In addition to that, I was curious about the other makes, especially Audi. But some day...A8 W12...
Old 09-15-05, 04:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by magneto112
Oh yeah without a doubt. Every car has its negatives. According to the service guy and tech guy at the same dealership, a few customers are experiencing a droning sound from the tranny around 30-35mph. They said Acura will be releasing a TSB on it shortly. How to fix the problem?? Brand new tranny. They also have many rattle problems coming from the rear.

I'm not an Acura Technician, of course, but what little I do know about this problem indicates that on the TL, Acura may have used some undersize and understrength transmissions for the torque that this engine puts out. Many of the failures seem bearing-and shaft related, which is a classic clue to an undersize tranny. Why Acura might have done this, I'm not sure, but one clue is that GM tried that almost 30 years ago....back in the late 70's.......presumably to both save money and cut the car's weight.
They were using automatic transmissions designed for in-line 6's ( there was only one V6 back then...the 3.8L ) and hooking them up at the factory to 305 ( 5.0L ) and 350 ( 5.7L ) V8's....with predictable results. There was eventually a class-action suit, similiar to the one where GM was using Chevy-sourced engines for other-division cars...primarily Oldsmobile. Have you guys ever noticed that inside the brochures of all GM-nameplate cars, in the specifications section, there is a long disclaimer paragraph that says that this particular vehicle may be equipped with source components from other GM divisions. The lawyers came up with that some 25 years ago...after the class-action suit.

Anyhow...back to the TL. I don't know for a fact that Acura cut corners on the automatic transmissions to save a little money or car weight, but I certainly would not rule it out. It certainly would be unusual for a company like Acura that prides itself on quality....in general one of the few nameplates that can compete with Lexus in this area.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-15-05 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-15-05, 04:34 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Maybe I missed something and someone has mentioned this already but Acura just put out a $2500 cash to dealer incentive to move the RL. Now anybody can get one for $41, 500. As a former Acura customer I got my notice in the mail Monday. I wouldn't dream of paying 50k for this car but at 41.5 it's tempting.
Old 09-15-05, 04:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaydunn
Maybe I missed something and someone has mentioned this already but Acura just put out a $2500 cash to dealer incentive to move the RL. Now anybody can get one for $41, 500. As a former Acura customer I got my notice in the mail Monday. I wouldn't dream of paying 50k for this car but at 41.5 it's tempting.
Well....that's just one more sign of what I said several posts ago.....that I thought the RL was overpriced, though I have moderated my view of that somewhat.

Quick Reply: Acura RL, the good and the bad