Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Jaguar XK Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-05, 11:09 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default 2007 Jaguar XK Convertible

All-new 2007 XK Convertible will go on sale in North America alongside the recently announced XK Coupe in spring 2006

IRVINE, Calif., September 14, 2005 - Following the World Premiere of the XK Coupe, Jaguar is proud to announce that it will be joined by the all-new XK convertible.

From the outset Jaguar knew it needed to create a convertible version of the XK and designed and developed it in parallel with the Coupe. The XK Convertible uses the same advanced aluminum body structure technology to achieve excellent body rigidity and torsional stiffness while minimizing weight: at just 3759lbs the new Convertible is one of the lightest cars in its competitive set.

A 300bhp (SAE), 4.2-liter V8 engine and Jaguar Sequential Shift steering-wheel-mounted gear change controls ensure rapid performance of 0-60mph in just 6.0 seconds (0-100kmh in 6.3 seconds) and an electronically limited top speed of 155mph (250kmh)*.

The luxurious triple-lined, fabric roof - which can be powered up or down in less than 18 seconds – when retracted it stows fully out of sight beneath an aluminum tonneau cover. A roll-over protection system comprising two 'hidden' aluminum hoops that deploy in the event of an incident is standard on all XK Convertibles.

"The all-new XK was designed from the outset to be a beautiful convertible. It is a statement of confident Jaguar design, elegant as well as powerful and with the performance and driving dynamics to match its looks", commented Jaguar Design Director, Ian Callum.

The XK Convertible will be available from spring 2006. Full details of the car and pricing will be announced later this year.

The XK Convertible is manufactured and assembled in a state-of-the-art production facility at Jaguar's Castle Bromwich plant in the West Midlands region of the United Kingdom .

source : autoweek
Old 09-14-05, 11:23 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

GOD DAMN!!!! If I had the money, I would certainly purchase that. That looks 20 times better than the coupe, and the coupe is damn attractive as well.

Hasnt the Jaguar convertibles always outsold the coupe?? I know the resent generation did, what about the earlier models??
Old 09-14-05, 11:33 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-05, 02:54 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i like the coupe better, but ive never been a convertible guy... just give me a damn 6mt!
Old 09-14-05, 03:06 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I might like the coupe better as well. But the E type I had was a convertible and it was pretty magical. If they can get their reliability up (OK, quit laughing) and it has the extra room that the current owners requested, it might be a serious competitor. Anyone think that at the price point the convertible is going to sell at that it should have a folding hardtop?
Old 09-14-05, 03:32 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

It's looking good, just like coupe. Did anyone else see the license plate?

James
Old 09-14-05, 03:35 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by jet864
It's looking good, just like coupe. Did anyone else see the license plate?

James
Hahaha, yeah
It's sexier than the 645, particularly in convertible form. No back seats though, & I think the 6 will still be the better driver's car.
Old 09-14-05, 03:37 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Gotta love the Taurus front end!!!!
Old 09-14-05, 03:54 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Hahaha, yeah
It's sexier than the 645, particularly in convertible form. No back seats though, & I think the 6 will still be the better driver's car.
From the article I read in one of the British car mags, one of the bigger complaints they had from current owners was lack of room. They debated about stretching it enough to put in a set of useless rear seats but the feedback they got was just to make it more comfortable as a two seater. Can't really fault them, just have to see how they did.

I don't want to start bimmer bashing but for whatever reason, run flats, running around that dumba$$ Nurburgring, etc., the bimmers are getting decidedly harsh to me. That wasn't too important a few years ago but it is getting more important to me now. This XK is a GT in the sense of genteleman's tourer and if it has a good ride/handling balance, that's worth doing. I hope they get the reliability up because god help me, my wife and I are seriously thinking about going from two GSs to an R class merc and this (coupe).
Old 09-14-05, 04:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jet864
Did anyone else see the license plate?

James
My thoughts exactly.
Old 09-14-05, 04:28 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

that is beautiful..

i didn't know Jagua's NA base was in Irvine
Old 09-14-05, 04:59 PM
LexFather

That is gorgous. Makes the 645 look even more like crap as a convertible.
O-60 in low 6s. VERY disapointing. Thats barely average today. The 650 will blow its doors off.
As the IS 350 and SC 430, and LS 430 and GS 430

Old 09-14-05, 05:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS FAN!

i didn't know Jagua's NA base was in Irvine
A number of automakers have major facilities, if not their home bases, in Irvine. Many of the 1-800 Customer Assistance lines ring there. To an extent, it is not surprising. The L.A. region has taken over from Detroit ( Motor City ) as the center of the country's auto culture.....with perhaps the huge auto-dependant D.C-area second. To put things into perspective, the D.C.-Baltimore area sells roughly six times the number of new cars that the Detroit area does, and the even more massive L.A. area 10 to 12 times as much. So to an extent, the HQ are moving where the markets are.
Old 09-14-05, 05:07 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

God DANG that thing is beautiful!!!!! I think Jaguar really knows how to design coupes better than anyone else. SEXY SEXY SEXY!!!!!

I thought the previous generation was nice...but this thing is gorgeous.
Old 09-14-05, 05:11 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never thought i'd say this, but hey... i like the XK! i believe it was on car and driver this past weekend right?

Quick Reply: 2007 Jaguar XK Convertible