Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why is every car black or silver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-05, 10:37 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is every car black or silver?

Just a little venting here.....
When I got my GS430 it was only available in black on black. That's all the midwest dealers were ordering.
When I decided to check out if there were any 545s out there this month, there were only black on black and silver on black. (interior of course).
So tonight I went and drove the M45. While I don't think it is the car for me, I asked them if they had any Red or Blue M45 Sports. Not only did they not have one, the only colors being brought into the entire region are black and silver - THROUGH DECEMBER! (I can of coruse order one with a 3 1/2 month wait).

Why is it that V8 powered sedans only seem to come in Black or Silver? I know I've seen a couple of the new GS430s in the new flint mica, but other than that, even those seem to be predominately black or silver.

Anybody?
Old 09-14-05, 11:03 PM
KneeShoe00
Lexus Test Driver

black is the sickest color on a car...durrrrrrrrr, red is close....

- Nizhu
Old 09-14-05, 11:13 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Black and Silver are universal colors that look good on almost any car. Not all colors look good on every car. A bright red BMW doesn't look good. Ever.

Personally, I'm a big fan of white cars. You don't see a lot of those. Plus, I don't want to own 3 silver cars in a row
Old 09-14-05, 11:13 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Black > All
Old 09-14-05, 11:21 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Once you black......

black is honestly the best looking color on a car, however not the most fun trying to keep clean.
Old 09-14-05, 11:31 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Doug, you know how it goes.The mfrs have taken to only producing a few colors at a time. So when you shop off the lot they have pretty limited selection. At least most dealers. When my wife got her GS it was about the same way. When I got mine, I went out of town to Penske Lexus in San Diego and the exra volume they move showed, they had about every combination there was. At the same time, dealers up here in good ol silicon valley still only had a limited selection. Maybe you should try dipping the net and letting somebody try to turn up the right color combinaton for you. Can't get around the nouveaux auto poor younguns who think black and silver are the only colors. Us older folk tend to like a bit more choice but maybe a lot of dealers are more comfortable moving black and silver to the easier to sell young uns than trying to stock for us harder to please older folk.
Old 09-14-05, 11:41 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Here in the desert southwest, you see very few black cars. It's just too darn hard to keep them clean with all of the dust. White and silver rule this area.

drink300
Old 09-14-05, 11:54 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

black looks the best when kept clean and shiny.

silver shows bodykits the best, and is the easiest to keep clean.

The best of 2 worlds would be graphite/gunmetal, where you get the shinyness of black, with the low-maintainance of silver.
Old 09-15-05, 12:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

haha ai guess you just have to move to cali?
Old 09-15-05, 03:21 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
black is honestly the best looking color on a car, however not the most fun trying to keep clean.
True that... My car's got a layer of dirt on it (I just washed it on Monday ) so I think I'll wash it again tonight hehehe.

The most common color in my area (besides whitegood company cars like Diamantes, Camrys and Falcons) is green... eeech....
Old 09-15-05, 03:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
black looks the best when kept clean and shiny.

silver shows bodykits the best, and is the easiest to keep clean.

:
Black paint in general DOES shine the most...( one of the reasons it is used so widely by limo firms) but it is a major PITA to keep clean. You have to wipe off fingerprints every time you touch it, and dust, winter salt , light surface scratches, deformed blobs from bird and insect droppings, sap, and waterspots are other problems....one of the reasons I give away bottles of SCRATCH-OUT to many car buyers. And it is hotter than h - - - in the summertime if you don't stay out of the sun.

Silver, yes, is close....but not quite the easiest color to keep clean. In general beige, light tans, and champaines are....they are the same color as road dust and don't show scratches much..

Silver has one big problem. It........and other light metallics...... are probably the hardest colors to match on a re-paint or accident damage......primarily because very small amounts of pigment have to be used, as opposed to darker colors where you have much more room for error. Body shops are MUCH better at matching it today than they were years ago, but it still takes paitience, care, and know-how.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-15-05 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-15-05, 07:26 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
. A bright red BMW doesn't look good. Ever.

did you see the Candy Red 7 series in the movie TAXI with Jimmy Fallen and Queen Latifa?
That color looked pretty kick ***, maybe it was because the car was always sideways with 4 hot chicks in it
Old 09-15-05, 07:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
did you see the Candy Red 7 series in the movie TAXI with Jimmy Fallen and Queen Latifa?
That color looked pretty kick ***, maybe it was because the car was always sideways with 4 hot chicks in it
Yeah, that 7 looks hot but they peeled it off to reveal that it's a blue car though
Candy red is quite different from the flat bright red you see on cars like Ferrari's though, I don't think any bimmers look good with that red color.
Old 09-15-05, 07:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Yeah, they are the most popular colors, there are many of them on the road. I actually find a regular silver car quite boring to look at for most models, but I guess people like it because they think it's easy to clean . . .
Old 09-15-05, 08:14 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Yup Black is the hot color for cars. My car is black and when I went to Fletcher Jones Mercedes Benz all of their E500's were sold out of black (actually only one left)

Quick Reply: Why is every car black or silver?