Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda WON'T build V8 engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-05, 05:25 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engine announcements are only the tip of the iceberg as far as I am concerned. Honda needs a good stiff drink and then sit down and decide what the want Honda and Acura to be. The engines are going to do the positioning for Acura. Good grief anyone getting a V8 knows they are going to get clobbered on mileage. That does not mean you shouldn't supply one. Let the consumer make the choice. They used to talk about the Japanising of american business. This sounds like the generalmotorising of japanese auto business.
Old 09-15-05, 05:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Though who will turn down a V-10
Interesting question ....we might find out if gas prices keep climbing.
Old 09-15-05, 05:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RON430
Good grief anyone getting a V8 knows they are going to get clobbered on mileage. This sounds like the generalmotorising of japanese auto business.
This may be something new for Honda and Acura, but not for Japanese auto industry. GM-ising started there a long time ago. Japanese firms have used V8's in luxury cars and luxury sport sedans for years....and more recently on full-size and semi-full-size pickups.
Old 09-15-05, 05:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This may be something new for Honda and Acura, but not for Japanese auto industry. GM-ising started there a long time ago. Japanese firms have used V8's in luxury cars and luxury sport sedans for years....and more recently on full-size and semi-full-size pickups.
Exactly, that is why I have no idea why Honda is making such a big deal outta this. Nissan has had a 4.5 liter V-8 since 1989. Lexus a 4.0 liter since 1989. Both companies have V-8 trucks and SUVs.

For goodness sakes, lexus will have a V-8 hybrid very soon. So who really cares if they make a V-8 or not. Besides Honda fanboys.

Old 09-15-05, 05:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
If you count honda's other divisions besides acura, such as motorcycles, atvs, generators, lawnmowers,personal watercraft,outboards,etc...Is Toyota Corporation still bigger & stronger? honda sells alot of that stuff all over the world.

I don't know, but it seams like that should come into play.
oh, overall, toyota corp is still way bigger than honda corp - 2x more revenues and almost 3x more net income for 2004. Although Honda sells more products overall (20mil/year), Toyota's products are more expensive.

still, if anyone knows some numbers from 10 yrs ago, it would be appreciated...
Old 09-15-05, 05:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
oh, overall, toyota corp is still way bigger than honda corp - 2x more revenues and almost 3x more net income for 2004. Although Honda sells more products overall (20mil/year), Toyota's products are more expensive.

still, if anyone knows some numbers from 10 yrs ago, it would be appreciated...
I know in Japan, Toyota has controled 40% of the market for sometime now, no one else is even close.
As staed, Honda is big on other products and seems to be more interested in airplanes. Honda is not about being the biggest, never has. They are about efficiencey and modesty

Old 09-15-05, 06:51 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I spent a lot of time trying to understand GM engine policy in the late 60s and 70s. It hasn't changed much today. Thou shalt not have close to Corvette hp was insane. Seems to be breaking down a bit now with Cadillac and Pontiac but still a pain. I expected more than the Solstice. And talk about disappointment with Acura how about the GTO. Might be a great car but it is no GTO. Even the spy shots of the nextgen seem laughable. Sorry to interject this into the thread I truly hope Honda resists generalmotosising. But like I said, I think somebody at Honda needs to really sort out a long range plan including short range objectives and start moving on it. If their plan is niche exploration, they are going to find it difficult.
Old 09-16-05, 02:05 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would agree with 1Sick on this one. The average miles for the NSX owner is about 5K miles a year. While there are many who daily drive it, the NSX is usually a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th car for many. Granted, the V10 probably wont get the 22-28 miles per gallon the current NSX gets now, but I wouldn't mind at all filling up $60 ever 3-4 weeks if I owned a V10 NSX
Old 09-16-05, 02:08 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
I spent a lot of time trying to understand GM engine policy in the late 60s and 70s. It hasn't changed much today. Thou shalt not have close to Corvette hp was insane. .
And if you do, pretend that the Camaro really has a lot less HP than it really does
Old 09-16-05, 09:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I would agree with 1Sick on this one. The average miles for the NSX owner is about 5K miles a year. While there are many who daily drive it, the NSX is usually a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th car for many. Granted, the V10 probably wont get the 22-28 miles per gallon the current NSX gets now, but I wouldn't mind at all filling up $60 ever 3-4 weeks if I owned a V10 NSX
look at the gas mileage of the farrari, it's way lower. honest if they make a v10 pushing something ike 15/20, people will still buy the car
Old 09-16-05, 10:06 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Say it with me..... diesel, diesel, diesel.
Old 09-16-05, 10:36 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

You know what? Gas would have to reach 5-10 bucks a gallon before I even consider an economy modeled car rather then a performance or modded one. In that case I might opt to ride a bike and keep my car of choice only for fewer driving but id still buy a performance over economy ANY day of the week.
Old 09-16-05, 10:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

I don't think anybody in the market for a NSX or other high end performance cars would be too concerned about gas prices . . .
Old 09-16-05, 12:09 PM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I don't think anybody in the market for a NSX or other high end performance cars would be too concerned about gas prices . . .
Then how do you explain a BMW 730d?

Seriously, if you can afford a 100K car, $100-200 per fill up is not going to make a diff.
Old 09-16-05, 03:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Inabj2
You know what? Gas would have to reach 5-10 bucks a gallon before I even consider an economy modeled car rather then a performance or modded one. In that case I might opt to ride a bike and keep my car of choice only for fewer driving but id still buy a performance over economy ANY day of the week.
Your views are not alone. There are those who would rather walk or ride a bike than give up their performance cars. And there is some merit to this arguement....a little more excercise, in most cases, sure won't hurt.

Or......you can just buy a new Mercedes and, unlike with a Honda, end up walking most of the time either way.

Quick Reply: Honda WON'T build V8 engines