Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda WON'T build V8 engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-05, 10:20 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Honda WON'T build V8 engines

Honda Motor Co., the third-largest Japanese automaker, has decided not to build an eight-cylinder engine because high fuel prices are pushing buyers to more efficient motors. The company will focus instead on expanding diesel and gasoline-electric engine output.

"It's not the time to make a V-8," Honda Chief Executive Takeo Fukui said at the Frankfurt International Motor Show in Germany. "We need to focus on diesels and hybrids first."

Honda this year expects to build 70,000 diesel motors, for models in Europe, and 30,000 gasoline-electric hybrid motors, which will mainly be sold in U.S. cars. The company plans to boost diesel output to 100,000 motors in two years and hybrid production to as many as 50,000 a year by 2007.

Honda also plans to boost its ability to design new cars and trucks for the U.S. with a second studio in California. The Pasadena facility will help develop "advanced" models for Honda's biggest market.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...ck=1&cset=true
Old 09-15-05, 10:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

OK, everybody. .....it's spin the wheel time again for a Honda V8. Line up and place your bets......toss those dice right in. Monday Yes, Tuesday, No, Wednesday Maybe, Thursday if we feel like it, Friday take a wild guess, Saturday we DON'T feel like it..... closed on Sundays.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-15-05 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-15-05, 10:39 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, everybody. .....it's spin the wheel time again for a Honda V8. Line up and place your bets......toss those dice right in. Monday Yes, Tuesday, No, Wednesday Maybe, Thursday if we feel like it, Friday take a wild guess, Saturday we DON'T feel like it..... closed on Sundays.
Give me $10 on Thursday if we feel like it, mmarshall

AGain, no V8, but a V10 for NSX?

Yeah, they need to work on their hybrid: Insight is damn ugly, The accord's mpg is not that great to justify the cost. How's the civic? I hardly see one of those as compared to prius.

EDIT: History question, just wondering: How long did it take Honda to finally make a V6?

Last edited by GS3Tek; 09-15-05 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-15-05, 10:41 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a shame. I understand the concern with high gas prices, but I would still make it an option. They are not as rich as Toyota, but just build that damn thing and let the few people who want them have them. Sometimes shutting the critics up or at least giving them one less thing to complain about is worth the price IMHO.
Old 09-15-05, 11:02 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
Honda Motor Co., the third-largest Japanese automaker, has decided not to build an eight-cylinder engine because high fuel prices are pushing buyers to more efficient motors. The company will focus instead on expanding diesel and gasoline-electric engine output.

"It's not the time to make a V-8," Honda Chief Executive Takeo Fukui said at the Frankfurt International Motor Show in Germany. "We need to focus on diesels and hybrids first."

Honda this year expects to build 70,000 diesel motors, for models in Europe, and 30,000 gasoline-electric hybrid motors, which will mainly be sold in U.S. cars. The company plans to boost diesel output to 100,000 motors in two years and hybrid production to as many as 50,000 a year by 2007.

Honda also plans to boost its ability to design new cars and trucks for the U.S. with a second studio in California. The Pasadena facility will help develop "advanced" models for Honda's biggest market.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...ck=1&cset=true
Ill play the world smallest violin for them when they asks themselves why their truck models are getting wasted by their competion along with their luxury flagship models.
Old 09-15-05, 11:20 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Ill play the world smallest violin for them when they asks themselves why their truck models are getting wasted by their competion along with their luxury flagship models.
Old 09-15-05, 12:05 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L

I love that smiley.
Old 09-15-05, 12:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
hahaha

seriously, can one imagine that toyota and honda used to be of similar size? (anyone has history on this?).
if you look at lineups accross the world, it is easy how much bigger toyota is.

honda didnt want to do diesel, didnt want to do suvs, trucks, doesnt want to do v8, etc, etc... it is company known to be conservative, i have an feeling that they reject 90% of new ideas... on the other hand, toyota tries to do everything they can - it is truly an company that isnt afraid to innovate and to risk, which is why they are the top auto company in the world right now...
Old 09-15-05, 12:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man when are they going to make up their mind..... i agree it's a shame. gas price is one thing but the need for v8 is clearly there.... look at all the flagship from other companies.... that's nuff said already. people with money will not care about the extra money for gas man....
Old 09-15-05, 01:11 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Even Honda doesn't build a V8, we still have many other choices: Lexus, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, Infiniti, etc. I always have a feeling that Honda is not good in producing high-end vehicles, despite the fact that NSX is so expensive. They should stick with Civic, Fit, Accord, Integra/RSX, and mostly TL. They are no good in making anything bigger than a TL anyways......
Old 09-15-05, 01:52 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
seriously, can one imagine that toyota and honda used to be of similar size? (anyone has history on this?).
if you look at lineups accross the world, it is easy how much bigger toyota is.

If you count honda's other divisions besides acura, such as motorcycles, atvs, generators, lawnmowers,personal watercraft,outboards,etc...Is Toyota Corporation still bigger & stronger? honda sells alot of that stuff all over the world.

I don't know, but it seams like that should come into play.
Old 09-15-05, 02:02 PM
LexFather

Well I know myself and Marshall were saying we'll believe it when we see it. Honda keeps making this engine announcement like its really that important.

Its not, as TwiBlue stated, there are much better choices out there anyway.

Honda has NO CLUE still to the luxury market. Hey ********, its a LUXURY market, at this price point, people start caring LESS about fuel economy, hence the word LUXURY. And with advancements in tech, like Double Vanos, Dual VVTi etc, V8s are becoming more powerful and more efficient ANYWAY.

Then to make the NSX a V-10 when Formula-1is moving to V-8s makes NO SENSE. THis is GREAT time to invest in V-8 tech and give it to your cars, you will be using it to RACE anyway!!!

Old 09-15-05, 02:55 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Then to make the NSX a V-10 when Formula-1is moving to V-8s makes NO SENSE. THis is GREAT time to invest in V-8 tech and give it to your cars, you will be using it to RACE anyway!!!
I only disagree on the V8/V10 part. The new NSX needs a V10 if they want to still compete in and challange the higher end exotics. Putting a V8 will probably keep costs down, and still allow a fast well perfforming car, but it will bring down the ar into the Corvette range. Nothing wrong with the Corvette, but truthfully, the Corvette is too strong and I would rather challange a Gallardo with a V10 for $100K than a Corvette with a V8 for $75K. Right now the V8 in Formula One is a joke. Yes, in a few years the performance will probably be back up there, but it is nearly 4 seconds slower than the V10, and one of the most importent things in Exotics "Sound" sucks compared to the V10s.
Old 09-15-05, 04:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I know myself and Marshall were saying we'll believe it when we see it.
I'm not so sure I'll even believe it THEN, Mike. I'll have to make sure it is a real engine and not a mock-up, then get in, turn the key, see if it starts, make sure all the warning lights go out and that the tach shows idle or fast-idle RPM.....and then I just MIGHT believe it.
Old 09-15-05, 05:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I only disagree on the V8/V10 part. The new NSX needs a V10 if they want to still compete in and challange the higher end exotics. Putting a V8 will probably keep costs down, and still allow a fast well perfforming car, but it will bring down the ar into the Corvette range. Nothing wrong with the Corvette, but truthfully, the Corvette is too strong and I would rather challange a Gallardo with a V10 for $100K than a Corvette with a V8 for $75K. Right now the V8 in Formula One is a joke. Yes, in a few years the performance will probably be back up there, but it is nearly 4 seconds slower than the V10, and one of the most importent things in Exotics "Sound" sucks compared to the V10s.
I dunno about NEES a V-10. The 911 has a flat 6 turbo, the 430 has a V-8 true the Gallardo has a V-10 but Lambo doesn't race.

Since Honda does a GREAT job keeping weight down, I think a V-8 is more than enough. Though who will turn down a V-10

Quick Reply: Honda WON'T build V8 engines