Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sc430 Vs M3

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-05, 04:32 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I think M3 is & will still be more fun to drive than M5/M6, but there are too many look alikes 325's flooding the roads that it has lost it's exclusiveness & uniquemess which makes it lose some of its desirability . . .
I agree but you can still tell an M when you see one coming down the road. It sits differently than the others.
Old 09-17-05, 06:52 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
I agree but you can still tell an M when you see one coming down the road. It sits differently than the others.
Yes, the car enthusisasts can tell the difference, but most people probably cannnot
Old 09-17-05, 08:47 AM
ifilrx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I've never driven an SC430...I can say that an M3 is a fun, practical car...not to mention great on the gas! I get around 25mpg...and yes mods are expensive as hell. Go to [url]www.m3forum.net and ask questions.
Here's mine, enjoy...the SC300 is my "beater" car for work.
Old 09-17-05, 09:02 AM
bt430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the car enthusisasts can tell the difference, but most people probably cannnot
You are so right!

I've got an M3 and a M5 and around here it's just another BMW. The SC430 turns heads like no other car I've ever owned.

As far as mods go you can find the tein coilovers for the SC430 between high900's low 1200's. Now try to find a try to find a coilover system for the BMW in that price range! You re gonna want to lower it sooner or later, I guarantee you won't be able to just put lowering springs on it like you did on your SC430 without totally killing the handling.

bt
Old 09-17-05, 09:18 AM
bt430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
if you ask me, 2 yrs ago i would choose the m3. but now, i would choose the sc430. if i have to choose something like the "m", it will be the m5 or the m6
I don't know Rom, My SC430 is my daily driver. When I get into my M5, as stupid as this will sound, it feels really big and almost cumbersome, kind of like I'm in Dad's car!!. The power is awesome of course but it's a big car compared to the SC430 and takes a lot of getting used to. Again apples and oranges comparison but for a daily driver it’s hard to beat the SC430. I've driven the 6 series quite a lot as well and it's a boat too. However the M6 will be a beast like no other with that 500hp V10. It should be a little lighter than the new M5 especially in the convertible version, though to stiffen the bodies BMW usually adds a lot of bracing. Unfortunately I parked it next to a Sebring convertible and when you get that perspective it’s really shocking how similar they look. I’m really not all that fond of the new BMW body styles.
Old 09-17-05, 11:38 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 2002 330 conv before my SC430, when I sold the BMW alot of people said to me "so you sold your M3?"

Most people dont know the difference.
Old 09-17-05, 12:05 PM
BigHat
Driver School Candidate

Default Couple of points

Originally Posted by aquanuke
I had a 2002 330 conv before my SC430, when I sold the BMW alot of people said to me "so you sold your M3?"

Most people dont know the difference.
As an owner of a '04 M3 coupe let make add a couple of things:

1. IF you're buying your car because of what others think or are fearful that you ride might be mistaken for something cheaper, maybe you should reassess the purchase. Status can be found more cheaply than in cars.

2. I struggled long and hard between a SC430 and the M3. Many days I wish I bought the 430, but on many others glad I bought the M3. To reiterate the obvious, they are VERY different cars. I'm sure 911 drivers have days when they wished they were in a big MB cruiser. It's really hard for one car to be good at everything. My assessment on these two choices:

Performance: No question the M3 outshines the 430. No doubt about it. I also love the SMG tranny. Let's hope Lexus builds one soon.

Comfort: The M3 is okay, but the SC430 is great

Quality: I've had no problems with the M3 but Lexus (Infiniti too) is first rate

Customer Service: BMW is really uneven here. Some dealers suck, others are great. Lexus has some problems here and there, but they generally are great.

Utility: For me the M3 was ideal. Good size, yet nimble. A useable trunk. Backseats, though rarely used can come in handy. If my buddy and I want to go play golf, it's nice being able to take my car. With an SC430, he drives or I take another car. The hardtop convertible is truly a nnice feature in cold weather climates and adds an element of security a canvas top doesn't have.

Looks: Very personal issue. To me. neither is a BEAUTIFUL car. I like the 3. While I don't think the 430 is that hot, it looks good enough. Personally, I was hoping for bigger changes in the body style this year.

I suspect many people look at both models and struggle with the decision. I think women and 50+ year old men find the 430 more in tune with them.
Old 09-17-05, 12:06 PM
neoprelude
Driver

Same here man, I have an SC300 and i'm selling it to buy an e36 m3 (1995-1999) Getting your money back for the SC430 may be kinda hard since the SC430 isn't exactly fast and easily selling car. The new e46's tend to have problems with the 3.3 motor, but as long as you have a warranty it will be fine. And as someone stated on here, mods for the bmws from reputable brands/companies come at a very expensive price! Also as someone else said: SC430 is more of a comfortable, luxurious daily driver with more class and quality interior. And not to say it handles like **** and is slow, it runs low-mid 14s and has the nice torque of the 4.3 v8 which is what you need for daily driving and alot more for when you need it for other things (taking out accords and corollas by buslengths )

The ///M3 is a drivers car: handles well, performs well etc. but remember it is just a 'souped up' 3 series coupe which, the 3 series is at the bottom of BMW's line meaning cheaper quality and build. So yes sure it does have some of the luxury features of the SC430 and the luxurious BMW name but the quality interior, comfort, luxury and overall appeal of what comes with the lexus name dosen't always come with BMW. This isn't to say bmw slacks, but as someone states they are strictly 2 different types of coupes! And the money you buy the cars with goes towards different things!(Pay for the quality interior and luxury for lexus, and the performance and handling for the bimmer!). My opinion is unbiased really, they both are great companies but for 2 different kind of cars (in this case at least!)

PS: Visit bimmerforums.com they are a great help!

Last edited by neoprelude; 09-17-05 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-17-05, 01:15 PM
sc430mike
Pole Position

I think I should stick with the SC430 and pimp it out. BMW wont even let me test drive a M3 and it would be tough to not lose money in the deal.
Old 09-17-05, 02:08 PM
neoprelude
Driver

Originally Posted by sc430mike
I think I should stick with the SC430 and pimp it out. BMW wont even let me test drive a M3 and it would be tough to not lose money in the deal.
What the hell, most dealers you think if they saw you pull up in a brand new looking lexus they'd let you test drive one?! Try a different one and tell them your looking to do a trade your lexus in and pay the rest in cash to jerk them off a little bit, if they say no well say guess i'll be taking my cash elsewhere because I can't decide or try to get them to let you drive it if they go with you. Also when you go into the dealer if you have a suit or anything professional, well groomed, richy looking wear it! Also when you're talking to them keep saying the word cash (IE: "I'll be willing to pay it in cash as long as I like it!) This will make it look like your a wealthy business man or something of that sort (This gives the salesman a false sense of security thinking you've got the dough and as long as you like the car which you have to TEST DRIVE to find out, it's a sale and comission for them!), and act very professional, mature and well mannered as much as possible. Hope this helps, believe me my dad taught me these tips and it never fails! Use the steps I told you and I almost promise you'll be able to test drive one! (Just try to use the salesman going with you as a last resort if you know what I mean )

I think this should be a write up for people going to test drive a highend car haha

Last edited by neoprelude; 09-17-05 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-17-05, 02:30 PM
BigHat
Driver School Candidate

Default You don't understand

Originally Posted by neoprelude
What the hell, most dealers you think if they saw you pull up in a brand new looking lexus they'd let you test drive one?! Try a different one and tell them your looking to do a trade your lexus in and pay the rest in cash to jerk them off a little bit, if they say no well say guess i'll be taking my cash elsewhere because I can't decide or try to get them to let you drive it if they go with you. Also when you go into the dealer if you have a suit or anything professional, well groomed, richy looking wear it! Also when you're talking to them keep saying the word cash (IE: "I'll be willing to pay it in cash as long as I like it!) This will make it look like your a wealthy business man or something of that sort (This gives the salesman a false sense of security thinking you've got the dough and as long as you like the car which you have to TEST DRIVE to find out, it's a sale and comission for them!), and act very professional, mature and well mannered as much as possible. Hope this helps, believe me my dad taught me these tips and it never fails! Use the steps I told you and I almost promise you'll be able to test drive one! (Just try to use the salesman going with you as a last resort if you know what I mean )

I think this should be a write up for people going to test drive a highend car haha

M3 test drives have nothing to do with preceived affulence and buying potential.

This is the problem with M3s. They have a strict break-in procedure. A really good test drive requires you to, in essence, break the rules. MOST buyers of M3s I know would never buy a car with test miles on it. I'm not making this up. I told my dealer if it had over 4 miles on it when it came in I wasn't going to accept it. It had 2.6 miles.

Usually a BMW dealer will have a salesman with an M or a few used ones for test drive purchases. It was the drive that sold me. I couldn't stop smiling.
Old 09-17-05, 04:03 PM
sc430mike
Pole Position

Yeah it wasnt what I was wearing or how I acted, it is just their policy. I had a shirt and tie and I pointed to my nice SC430 and said I was thinking of trading it and that I had cash... but no dice. Oh well.
Old 09-18-05, 11:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

E39 is the size of the G35 sedan
hahah, I mean in interior space, it's actually 500+ lbs heavier, as it should be & being a V8 too.
It's an awesome car for sure, but the M3 made Car mag's all time top 10 driver's car list, which are dominated by mostly exotic cars like Ferrari's, NSX-R & Porsche's, the M5 did not . . .
hahaa, seriously andrew, i already forgot when was the last time i really trust what they say in the mag. it read them but that's about how far it goes. i like my own choices
Old 09-18-05, 11:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bt430
I don't know Rom, My SC430 is my daily driver. When I get into my M5, as stupid as this will sound, it feels really big and almost cumbersome, kind of like I'm in Dad's car!!. The power is awesome of course but it's a big car compared to the SC430 and takes a lot of getting used to. Again apples and oranges comparison but for a daily driver it’s hard to beat the SC430. I've driven the 6 series quite a lot as well and it's a boat too. However the M6 will be a beast like no other with that 500hp V10. It should be a little lighter than the new M5 especially in the convertible version, though to stiffen the bodies BMW usually adds a lot of bracing. Unfortunately I parked it next to a Sebring convertible and when you get that perspective it’s really shocking how similar they look. I’m really not all that fond of the new BMW body styles.
ahhahaa, i know what you mean man. but probably that's why i am ok with it, coz' i also have the big *** gs400 in my garage. so driving a big car is no problem for me, even the ls430. but when i got in the is300 i actually had to adjust myself a bit coz' the car turns "way too fast". so i can totally understand teh "getting used to" part i am probably crazy, but i am more of a big car guy. i kinda like to have a big car and yet i can run it fast.

and yes, you are also right about the prices for mods. like i have said if you think modding the sc430 is expensive, don't even think about bmw. i think i am getting a bargain modding my sc430 already
Old 09-19-05, 07:20 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
hahaa, seriously andrew, i already forgot when was the last time i really trust what they say in the mag. it read them but that's about how far it goes. i like my own choices
I never trust the mags.neither, but my point is that the M3 is still the more fun driver's car, & can run better with the exotics on the track. Does it mean it's necessarily a "superior "car, no. But I'd rather take it to the track rather than a 4000 lb. M5, of course the M5 is more exclusive, but I' ve never fully bought the concept of a sports sedan anyway. I'd always pick a smaller coupe for sports.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 09-19-05 at 07:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Sc430 Vs M3