Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help...annoying neighbor with loud engine.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-05, 12:20 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkorsu
What time of day was this??? If it were me, and I was warming my car at lets say 10am, I would've told the HOA to pick the corn out of my doo-doo!!!

Of course this is why I don't live in a community with a HOA. Telling someone to be more repsectful at 7am or 11pm is one thing, but at, lets say, 12 noon, I'll make as much noise as I want.
Well there has to be a line. Let's say if I live on a street and I just want to sit and relax and read a book. If my neighbor is revving his engine and playing his 1000+watt system than I'm not going to be able to read. But I do like to be the obnoxious guy driving around town with my system blaring. But I know when I hit residential areas (or driving by cops) that I'll turn it down.
I was once an off-duty cop to turn my music down. I was driving on a busy street at around 12pm. He told me he was going to give me a ticket if I didn't turn it down. I was pretty annoyed because it's noon and it's a busy street but out of respect I turned it down... until he was out of earshot.
Old 09-19-05, 12:27 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Air pollution I would not be so sure about...even in California as there are exemptions on certain year models. We even have those exemptions in place down here.

Noise pollution is the most likely.

Here in Mexico City we have emissions laws (not obligatory for foreign-plated vehicles), but you can kiss noise laws goodbye. They do not exist here. I asked the cops...and they told me my brother has a car louder than yours.

Ended up putting a lightweight Sankei resonator to quiet the thing down.

My advice is to talk to him and come to an agreement...don't involve the cops yet. My cousin in Ohio revs his muscle cars up once a week and he talked to the neighbors and explained his need to do it every Saturday. They agreed. In exchange he also helps them with their own car problems...saving them time and money.

Where I live in my apartment, I park next to a Ford Expedition with a particularly sensitive alarm system. No matter what parks next to it...will set off the alarm. I don't even rev up...I just start up my car an pull away. Yet, concrete will amplify sound. The owner did not want to adjust the sensitivity due to some previous problems parking in certain places in the city. Granted, I know all about that.

Since we both have two parking spaces (1 that we each don't use)...think of it has a 4 square quadrant...I agreed to park my RX in front...leaving him my space behind that would be easier for him to cross to get get into and out of his own spot on wide turns. In exchange...he agreed to not use his alarm system in the building parking area and our building is already guarded by people with submachine guns.
Old 09-19-05, 12:32 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Well there has to be a line. Let's say if I live on a street and I just want to sit and relax and read a book. If my neighbor is revving his engine and playing his 1000+watt system than I'm not going to be able to read. But I do like to be the obnoxious guy driving around town with my system blaring. But I know when I hit residential areas (or driving by cops) that I'll turn it down.
I was once an off-duty cop to turn my music down. I was driving on a busy street at around 12pm. He told me he was going to give me a ticket if I didn't turn it down. I was pretty annoyed because it's noon and it's a busy street but out of respect I turned it down... until he was out of earshot.

I do agree with you. It's about respect. As a neighbor, I wouldn't have my car revving for an hour with 1000 watts pumping all day. It's just dissrespectful. But I also wouldn't expect a neighbor, especially one a few houses down the street, to get upset if I started my Musclecar/Pantera/4 banger turbo every Saturday at 11pm, Punched the throttle a few times and let her idle for 15 minutes.
Old 09-19-05, 12:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I find it hilarious at my local racetrack when kids rev their non-highpowered cars as if that is cool, but ended up heating the engine and then they complain why their times are so bad, "but I rev'ed my engine up before I raced, I thought that gives you more power."

Reving something up for an hour is ridiculous. My cousin in Ohio only needs about 1 or 2 minutes with the car on and only revs it for about 15 seconds total.
Old 09-19-05, 02:33 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call the police and say he is DTPing it... Disturbing the Peace!