Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help...annoying neighbor with loud engine.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-05, 12:31 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts
Default Help...annoying neighbor with loud engine.

A neighbor mid-street is into muscle cars. Weekends, mid-week when he's messing with it, he's revving it. At first it wasn't an annoyance but now...he has two cars. Both super charged with open exhausts.

His menatlity is that because he finds the engine note nice, the rest of us will enjoy it. WRONG. One neighbor told him to not do that but it persists. How would you deal with this person?
Old 09-17-05, 12:57 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RA40
A neighbor mid-street is into muscle cars. Weekends, mid-week when he's messing with it, he's revving it. At first it wasn't an annoyance but now...he has two cars. Both super charged with open exhausts.

His menatlity is that because he finds the engine note nice, the rest of us will enjoy it. WRONG. One neighbor told him to not do that but it persists. How would you deal with this person?
Call the PO-LICE.
Ask him nicely once if he continues to be obnoxious than call the cops.
Old 09-17-05, 01:07 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Call the PO-LICE.
Ask him nicely once if he continues to be obnoxious than call the cops.

Get a faster open pipe turbo rotary ... why rotary cause theyre just as obnoxious!
Old 09-17-05, 01:19 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Get a faster open pipe turbo rotary ... why rotary cause theyre just as obnoxious!

Plus you can set fire to his front lawn.

j/k actually just call the popo if it persists. Be cool about it though. Dont approach him all snootish.
Old 09-17-05, 02:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40

If you have a super-strong sound system, get some of AC/DC's older cuts, and let him have it. Angus, Bon, Brian & co. will not dissapoint.....trust me. For loud, hard rock, I especially recommend the Highway to Hell, Back in Black, Fly on the Wall, and For Those About to Rock, we Salute You albums. Fly on the Wall, especially, is almost continuous screaming. High-volume AC/DC was enough ( seriously ) to make Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega give up when we were at war with him...our military actually used this as a WEAPON.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-17-05 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-17-05, 02:37 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nah, just take an instrument that you don't know how to play, a mic and a loud speaker with a mic hookup, and try to play a song.

Or if you want the legal approach, then call the cops because I'm pretty sure that:

a. Violates noise pollution laws
b. Violates air pollution laws
c. Violates certain domestic laws

I'm almost positive you can get some other neighbors to go in on it with you as well.
Old 09-17-05, 10:09 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this hits close to home... my neighbor about 4-5 houses down has all his buddies with their raised trucks and Harleys revving it up all the time. we've gotten pretty nasty with eachother all ready.... at one point they were burnin rubber in front of my house and we would peel out in front of theirs (honda days... ).... but thats all kinda sub-sided. my brother and i traded in the hondas for Lexus' and i think he bought a G35 and is slowly fixing it up..... and its no where near as loud as his trucks.
Old 09-18-05, 11:47 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you have a super-strong sound system, get some of AC/DC's older cuts, and let him have it. Angus, Bon, Brian & co. will not dissapoint.....trust me. For loud, hard rock, I especially recommend the Highway to Hell, Back in Black, Fly on the Wall, and For Those About to Rock, we Salute You albums. Fly on the Wall, especially, is almost continuous screaming. High-volume AC/DC was enough ( seriously ) to make Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega give up when we were at war with him...our military actually used this as a WEAPON.

sounds like something from a prank book...
Old 09-19-05, 12:09 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 362 Likes on 231 Posts

Buy a cheap $6,000 turbo honda with NAWWWS and tell him you'll run him title for title. After you take his car, dissasemble it and sell it on ebay so it can never be whole again
Old 09-19-05, 07:22 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All great revenge/get-even posts here but there's one thing we don't know yet. What time of the day/evening is he doing this? I know in my area of Jersey at least, you can make as much noise as you want as long as it's before 9 or 10pm (I forget which though). So, even though he is being thoughtless and dissrespectful, legally he may be doing no wrong!
Luckily, here is Jersey, we have certain "friends" we can call on for situations like this though. They usually hang out in Northern NJ, and there's an HBO series about people like them!
Old 09-19-05, 08:32 AM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

It's very simple and no confrontation is necessary. If he's being excessively loud at an unreasonable hour just call the police and report a noise complaint. They will ask for the address and send someone around.
Old 09-19-05, 08:33 AM
Kilo
Instructor

I have a neighbor who loved to work on his Harley on Saturday mornings and annoyed the everliving ***** out of me. Out of spite, I borrowed my friend's loud-*** civic, parked it in his driveway one morning (exhaust first) and proceeded to incessantly rev the engine. He has stopped working on his bike during the early morning.
Old 09-19-05, 09:19 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Tell him to cut his mullett put down the Def Leopard cassette and try and have some respect for his fellow neighbors! Sheesh......
Old 09-19-05, 10:01 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Buy a cheap $6,000 turbo honda with NAWWWS and tell him you'll run him title for title. After you take his car, dissasemble it and sell it on ebay so it can never be whole again

He has better odds with a monster built 20b! Plus the noise will haunt him!
Old 09-19-05, 11:54 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
I have a new neighbor two down that does the sat/sun warmup of his Pantera... after a few weekends of that, the HOPA sent him a letter. So far, problem solved.

What time of day was this??? If it were me, and I was warming my car at lets say 10am, I would've told the HOA to pick the corn out of my doo-doo!!!

Of course this is why I don't live in a community with a HOA. Telling someone to be more repsectful at 7am or 11pm is one thing, but at, lets say, 12 noon, I'll make as much noise as I want.

Quick Reply: Help...annoying neighbor with loud engine.