Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pontiac Solstice #272 Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-05, 03:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I partially agree, bit, but the Z4, being some 10-15K more than this car, really is aimed at a more expensive and upscale class of roadster. The Solstice and Sky, unlike the Z4, are considered entry-level roadsters, more along the lines of the Mazda Miata and the now-discontinued Toyota MR2. Even so, I agree that both the Solstice and Sky look better than the Z4.
Old 09-19-05, 07:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

The solstice looks better than the Z4, but still an unattractive roadster to my eyes. The Saturn Sky OTOH is a roadster from GM that I won't mind driving
Old 09-20-05, 07:53 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Default ’07 Pontiac Solstice Turbo Spy Shots

Pontiac engineers ventured to the Nürburgring to take some hot laps in the hot version of the Solstice roadster. Several styling differences set this prototype apart as the turbocharged version of Pontiac's halo car. The high-performance additions to the Solstice clearly require more breathing ability. The large round lights set into the Solstice's bumper fascia - surrounded by bodywork on the standard 170-hp model - are set within additional honeycomb grillework on this prototype. Sharply sculpted edges outline the added grilles, giving more definition to the Solstice's face. The Turbo Solstice's more chiseled look is furthered by a deeper, squared-off jawline, which incorporates another thin air-intake slit at the bottom.

The changes at the rear are less pronounced: a subtle lip spoiler sets this more muscled model apart from the standard version. By applying a turbocharger to GM's 2.4-liter Ecotec engine, this Solstice will generate at least 240 horsepower, and rumors suggest it may even exceed 250 horses. Regardless of the final output numbers, this car should give serious competition to the likes of Mazda's new Miata, as long as the Solstice's final execution manages to live up to the promise of the car's sexy lines.

source : thecarconnection
Old 09-20-05, 04:37 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I like this car's looks but It's gonna look really ugly with the front license plate in NY.
Old 09-20-05, 04:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AmethySC
The Saturn Sky OTOH is a roadster from GM that I won't mind driving
You'll have to wait a little while to test one out. (unless GM has a public test-drive event). The Saturn dealers here say they won't be in till February. That will probably be the case where you live too. Apparantly the Solstice is coming to market first. ( Too bad, because with no competition from the Sky until February, Pontiac dealers are almost certain to price-gouge ). The MX-5 Miata will be the only direct competition. ( Mazda officially dropped the Miata name this year, but of course no one is paying any attention to that, including me......it will ALWAYS be the Miata).

BTW, guys..........I have to modify something a little that I said on a previous recommendation on the choice between the Solstice and Sky. I mentioned that ALL Saturns sell for list....no discounts or markups. That policy was true in the past.....but may be changing a little. After many years of rigid sticker-only deals and no-haggle prices, I saw today for the first time in the mail...........$500 dollar-off coupons on new Saturns. These are dealer incentives and not factory incentives, but they are a sign that Saturn HQ may be allowing dealerships ( retailers in Saturnspeak )a little more leeway in supply-and-demand pricing and bargaining. How that could affect the Sky in February when it debuts....we'll have to wait and see. And, of course, there are other new Saturns coming down the pike, too...not just the Sky. There are the new Green Line Hybrids and a new L-Series replacement.....the Aura.
Old 09-23-05, 12:12 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Solstice doesn't seem to be doing well against the new Miata, according to Edmunds' latest comaro:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=107290

"The Miata walked away with this one."

The sales has been exceptionally strong, however.
Old 09-23-05, 04:03 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Of course I'm gonna take a miata over the solstice any time
Old 09-23-05, 04:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Of course I'm gonna take a miata over the solstice any time
Yes....with most types of vehicles I usually lean toward a Japanese nameplate myself rather than a domestic.......but let's not jump to a premature conclusion here. I think it would be wise to wait and experience both cars personally before announcing a choice. A lot of effort ( on Bob Lutz's orders ) went into making the Solstice and Sky credible roadsters and good competition for the Miata for the price. I have not personally test-driven a new Miata for several years, nor, of course, have I driven one of the new GM cars yet....so I'm not going to publically rate them until I do, although my dislike of the Solstice's beaver-tooth grille is no secret.
Old 09-23-05, 04:38 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have not personally test-driven a new Miata for several years, nor, of course, have I driven one of the new GM cars yet....so I'm not going to publically rate them until I do, although my dislike of the Solstice's beaver-tooth grille is no secret.
does that mean you want to go to mazda's driving event thing in november in DC? i am signed up to go, but i forget what date it is. i'll have to look when i get home.
Old 09-23-05, 05:02 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by adidosc
does that mean you want to go to mazda's driving event thing in november in DC? i am signed up to go, but i forget what date it is. i'll have to look when i get home.
I already went to the Mazda event @ San Francisco, and I can tell you that the new Miata drives like a sports car!!! It's super fun, agile, with great road feel and very tossable handling characteristics. The stopping power is incredible too. I came away extremely impressed. It is simply so much superior to the model it replaces. I doubt if the Solstice can even come close.

That said, I haven't driven Solstice yet. I'll probably get the chance at the upcoming GM driving event. I'll post my final judgement then.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 09-23-05 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-23-05, 05:25 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I already went to the Mazda event @ San Francisco, and I can tell you that the new Miata drives like a sports car!!! It's super fun, agile, with great road feel and very tossable handling characteristics. The stopping power is incredible too. I came away extremely impressed. It is simply so much superior to the model it replaces. I doubt if the Solstice can even come close.

That said, I haven't driven Solstice yet. I'll probably get the chance at the upcoming GM driving event. I'll post my final judgement then.
yeah i was bummed i had to wait so long for it to come around me, but i'll wait! did they also have a mazdaspeed 6 to drive by chance? that's one i'd love to take around a track. as for the solstice, i haven't PERSONALLY driven it yet but i did ride in it (as i wrote about) and boy did it feel AWESOME. especially for the price!!
Old 09-24-05, 01:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by adidosc
Maybe....sounds like an interesting idea. Of course you can test-drive a new Miata at any dealership.
Old 09-25-05, 09:02 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Maybe....sounds like an interesting idea. Of course you can test-drive a new Miata at any dealership.
well i know, but in this respect you can take it around a course, drive other new mazda's as well and all without worrying about "discussing" pricing when all you wanted to do was drive the car.