Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pontiac Solstice #272 Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-05, 01:09 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pontiac Solstice #272 Pics!

well guys, i was up visiting my university this weekend (feels weird to be graduated now and have to go BACK to visit!) but when i did i also got to see the 272nd Solstice ever made, brought up by one of my old roommate's dad. if you can remember the old thread i put up about my pre-production test ride (which was in Solstice #76... link to my review is HERE), this one was a LOT better and much more refined. i have to say, pontiac is really surprising me here and they're cranking out one heck of a car.

i only had my camera phone with me, so they aren't as detailed and clear as they could be, but common. it's a phone. for a phone they're reeeeally good. enjoy!

(yea, the last one is me... you really sit LOW in that thing. oh but i love it. )
Old 09-18-05, 02:36 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Great looking roadster.
Old 09-18-05, 05:36 PM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a V8 swap/kit out there for it
Old 09-18-05, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldark
there is a V8 swap/kit out there for it
Yes.....Bob Lutz, GM CEO, addressed this issue when personally demonstrating the car himself. (This car, more than any other recent GM product, is his conception). He predicted a flurry of aftermarket engine refittings and tuner packages for it, but he himself stressed that the car was designed for a four-cylinder, it would brake and handle best that way, and that the factory did not consider anything larger under the hood to be really feasible in a car this small.
And, to an extent, he is being proved correct. Several prelimanary comparisons in auto mags ( I haven't seen any full road-test comparisons yet ) have given the stock 4-cylinder Solstice equal or better ratings than the all-new 2006 Miata ). The Miata, for once, is going to have some REAL competition here....something the MR2 could never do because it was never built in sufficient numbers to do so.

Now.....this is MY opinion, not necessarily Bob's........ I think when you guys wait and see the Solstice's brother, the Saturn Sky, most of you will agree that not only is it better-looking than the Solstice but it will be a better buy as well because Saturn, with its list-only pricing, does not allow dealers to mark their cars up over list, even with high demand......the Pontiac Solstice WILL carry markups at MANY dealerships....you can bet the rent on that. Saturn, however, DOES allow its dealers to add legitimate Saturn-brand accessories and charge for them.

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/showroo...10&flashOK=yes

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-18-05 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-18-05, 06:57 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

People have been gushing over this car for awhile but let's remember one thing.... It's still a PONTIAC!!!! Let's see how enamoured they are in 6 months after the thing has been back to the dealer 8 times.
Old 09-18-05, 07:22 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

I guess someone in the design department forgot that A LOT of states require front plates
Old 09-18-05, 07:29 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Skulinex
I guess someone in the design department forgot that A LOT of states require front plates
details. not pennsylvania!

in all reality, i'm not sure to be honest. i never thought about asking him that, maybe i will next time i see him / talk to him. i'm kinda curious now.
Old 09-18-05, 07:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes.....Bob Lutz, GM CEO, addressed this issue when personally demonstrating the car himself. (This car, more than any other recent GM product, is his conception). He predicted a flurry of aftermarket engine refittings and tuner packages for it, but he himself stressed that the car was designed for a four-cylinder, it would brake and handle best that way, and that the factory did not consider anything larger under the hood to be really feasible in a car this small.
And, to an extent, he is being proved correct. Several prelimanary comparisons in auto mags ( I haven't seen any full road-test comparisons yet ) have given the stock 4-cylinder Solstice equal or better ratings than the all-new 2006 Miata ). The Miata, for once, is going to have some REAL competition here....something the MR2 could never do because it was never built in sufficient numbers to do so.

Now.....this is MY opinion, not necessarily Bob's........ I think when you guys wait and see the Solstice's brother, the Saturn Sky, most of you will agree that not only is it better-looking than the Solstice but it will be a better buy as well because Saturn, with its list-only pricing, does not allow dealers to mark their cars up over list, even with high demand......the Pontiac Solstice WILL carry markups at MANY dealerships....you can bet the rent on that. Saturn, however, DOES allow its dealers to add legitimate Saturn-brand accessories and charge for them.

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/showroo...10&flashOK=yes

Great point about the Sky

Old 09-18-05, 07:38 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Great point about the Sky
but that wasn't my point. it was about the solstice. i know they're really related, but common... i was putting up a discussion about the solstice, but everytime it is it turns to the sky. i do actually really like both cars, and i don't mind talking about either one of them, but i was going for opinions on the solstice here.
Old 09-18-05, 07:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by adidosc
but that wasn't my point. it was about the solstice. i know they're really related, but common... i was putting up a discussion about the solstice, but everytime it is it turns to the sky. i do actually really like both cars, and i don't mind talking about either one of them, but i was going for opinions on the solstice here.
I tried to be fair and balanced in my reply.....sorry if it seemed otherwise. I've posted and talked about both cars a number of times on CL, but I wanted to make the important point that the Sky will probably be a better buy for many people.....money spent on a new car is not chump change and should be spent wisely. Of course, some people DO like the Solstice more, (one of my closest friends does) for whatever reason, and for them, a Solstice will be worth whatever it costs.
Now...how about you? Did you get to drive one? What are your impressions of it?
Old 09-18-05, 08:20 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I tried to be fair and balanced in my reply.....sorry if it seemed otherwise. I've posted and talked about both cars a number of times on CL, but I wanted to make the important point that the Sky will probably be a better buy for many people.....money spent on a new car is not chump change and should be spent wisely. Of course, some people DO like the Solstice more, (one of my closest friends does) for whatever reason, and for them, a Solstice will be worth whatever it costs.
Now...how about you? Did you get to drive one? What are your impressions of it?
i don't want you to feel like i was trying to single out you or anyone else, my point was mearly to discuss how the solstice is coming along, and what impressions you guys feel about the progress they are making with the roadster. i would definitely agree no one would generally throw around money when it comes to cars, and this is no exception. with a sticker starting under 20k though, it just screams great deal. i showed the pics i took around and the impressions i got were that it had to be a much more expensive car, there was NO WAY it could be under 20k.

until i can actually see the sky and get some more information on it, i can't make a true comparison yet. i've only ridden and seen the solstice grow up and transform into what will most likely be a great little miata competitor. i haven't been able to drive it mostly because of the fact that they are still preproduction models. my old roommate's dad did let him drive the car, but ONLY with him in the car and ONLY a short ways up the road. they are very protective over the car and who drives it, and i can't blame them. i for one wouldn't want to be held responsible for anything that happened to it if i was behind the wheel. i did do a writeup a while back that i linked to at the top where i gave my impressions about the handling and such, and i really do feel that until you see the car in person, reserve at least some of your judgement. it really is amazing, and everywhere we went with it a crowd of people always seemed to gather. i only see that as a good sign of things to come for it.
Old 09-18-05, 08:33 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I like the Solstice. Awsome style and a great deal. To me it might be a great car for GM. I just hope and pray that they dont mess this car up and market it poorly like they did with the SSR and G6.
Old 09-18-05, 08:35 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default spy pics up

The GXP Turbo version spy pics are out, I like the way the turbo looks front/rear more than the NA version:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5347
Old 09-18-05, 08:39 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toy4two
The GXP Turbo version spy pics are out, I like the way the turbo looks front/rear more than the NA version:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5347
while i don't think the turbo version looks a whole lot different from NA, i am told from my friend's dad (the GM Engineer) it will in fact carry 240-250 hp and be a BLAST to drive (even more so than the one i have been in). it'll certainly add to the price, and as soon as i can get in that (and the everso talked about sky ) i will post my experiences!

Last edited by adidosc; 09-18-05 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-18-05, 09:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Wow - talk about everything the BMW Z4 *SHOULD* have been.

Quick Reply: Pontiac Solstice #272 Pics!