Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Its here. GM's 2007 Tahoe and Suburban

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-05, 03:27 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Well I must give credit where credit is due, and GM deserves it this time. It seems like they went great lengths to really improve this model. The exterior as far as looks isnt revolutionary but rather evolutionary. I dont think they would want to stray to far off and make something that doesnt look like a classic Tahoe/Suburban. But either way, its better than te current gen and definitely more modern and sleek, for an oversized truck. The panel gaps look pretty small as well. It has a more family oriented and on road look to it. Sort of the same way the newer Durango looks. Looks like someones been severely studying Toyotas/Lexus for awhile.

They also seemed to pay very close attention to quietness. My roomies Mom drives a Suburban and I must say its not the quietest vehicle out there, but this model seems to address that problem and maybe even go further.

The interior, the biggest improvement, is definitely a good look for them. It totally makes me forget what the current gen looks like. EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

It seems to have a little bit of Buick LaCross and Lucerne mixed in with a little Caddy STS. Its nice, very car like, tight fitting body panels I see(FINALLY). But I still cant comment on the material quality until I sit in it. You might think I'm nitpicking but I've sat in the STS, LaCrosse and others at this years Auto Show and while body panels are put togther better, the materials were still lacking hardcore. I kind of expect the same for this model as well.

The engines look great. Im lovin that 6.2L. Is that from the same family as the Corvette engine?? The 5.3L which will probably be the most popular seems to be pretty fuel effiecent. 20.1 in this big truck is impressive. Mostly due to the fact that it has DOD and a low drag rating. .036 is great for a truck this size.

Overall I'm somewhat impressed. They added a lot of features that it should have had a long time ago and are just catching up to Toyota with refinement. I would definitely pick this truck over the Sequoia(well that is until the new one comes out) but definitely NOT over the Land Cruiser or LX470. That to me is still in an entirely different league with only Range Rover as direct competition. But with gas prices as high as they are now, will trucks of this size even sell anymore???

Last edited by magneto112; 09-20-05 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-20-05, 03:30 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Heres a description of the Escalade, but no pics till next month I hear.

Cadillac Escalade design

The iconic design cues that made the Escalade a cultural phenomenon are enhanced with the 2007 model – cues that established a new design language for all Cadillac vehicles. The ’07 model also incorporates elements introduced on the landmark Sixteen concept vehicle. These elements include vertical headlamp housing with HID tri-segment lighting elements and new, stylish front fender vents.

Escalade features a more prominent Cadillac wreath-and-crest emblem in the center of the traditional shield-shaped grille. It is confidently scaled to the proportions of the bold front end styling. The grille surface is predominantly chrome, with painted elements that add texture and visual depth. It is inset with compartmentalized groups of jewel-like vents and a detailed chrome-trim liner that has a textured screen with bright edges and black sides. The overall look is more detailed, enhancing Escalade’s luxury aura.

Escalade’s new, larger HID headlamps further the vertical-design theme established by the previous-generation model, but are more prominent and feature three distinct elements. The lamps’ interior parabolas are highly reflective and contribute to the jeweled looked when viewed through the crystal-clear lenses. The Cadillac logo is etched into the bulb shields, which contain new HID lighting elements.

The Escalade has a unique, wraparound front fascia that creates a seamless appearance. The lower portion of the fascia incorporates recessed, integrated tow hooks, owing to the Escalade’s primary mission as a capable full-size SUV. In true Escalade fashion, the tow hook openings make a stylish design statement.

The new front fascia flows smoothly into the front fenders, which are distinguished with Escalade-exclusive front fender vents. The vents, located at the top-rear corner of the fenders deliver a detailed appearance, with three sections set off by a chrome top bar and chrome surround trim. The vents add visual distinction to the Escalade lineup and are sure to become signature hallmarks, like the vertical headlamps and prominent wreath-and-crest grille emblem.

As with the front end, Escalade models have a specific wraparound rear fascia. The license plate holder is integrated into the liftgate and a prominent wreath-and-crest emblem is mounted above it. The fascia also incorporates sensors for the standard Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist feature, as well as the standard trailer hitch platform. The platform is covered to maintain Escalade’s tailored appearance, but is easily removable.

Escalade’s vertical lighting theme also is carried to the rear of the vehicle, with two arrays of elegant LED-lit taillamps. The lamps feature indirect optics and numerous sources of illumination per unit, which provides a broader, more even lighting display and eliminates the “pinpoints of light” normally associated with LEDs.

As part of its bold, powerful appearance, Escalade offers optional 22-inch wheels and tires – the largest factory-installed wheels in the full-size segment. All Escalade models – including those equipped with the standard 18-inch wheels and tires – feature a unique seven-spoke wheel design.
Old 09-20-05, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey140
I guess GM has an embargo on the pictures because I can't find them on any car website nor their website either.
Here....this is the only one that I know of..........
http://netscape.edmunds.com/future/2...9/photos.html#
Old 09-20-05, 05:42 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by Corey140
I guess GM has an embargo on the pictures because I can't find them on any car website nor their website either.
Nope. Released by GM themselves.

http://media.gm.com/us/gm/en/news/pr...%209-15-05.htm

http://www.gm-trucks.com/gallery/thu...s.php?album=34
Old 09-20-05, 07:55 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Is it me or does the front look Chevy Astro or Chevy Express-looking?
Old 09-20-05, 08:02 PM
KneeShoe00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats hideous plain and simple.

GM feel off....

- Nizhu
Old 09-20-05, 08:08 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

They look great but with the gas price hike GM sales might fall below normal you think? I know in my area alot of people are selling there SUV's I guess we will have to see what happens in the up coming year... Good Luck GM.

Tony
Old 09-20-05, 08:59 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my mommy is gonna be mad................ i told her to wait a year.
Old 09-20-05, 09:03 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks Agressive to me ..I like it
Old 09-20-05, 09:15 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

i'll still buy a 4 runner, sequoia, land crusier over any GM product. im sorry and i know the sequoia has this as well, the shifter wheres it located, think it column shifter, i think thats the ugliest thing
Old 09-21-05, 12:48 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

GM Truck isn't their website. On the GM news site only the media can supposely access the pictures. The PR is out but no pictures which is pretty stupid imho...
Old 09-21-05, 01:16 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

In Mexico City, a fellow American wanted to buy a Suburban, and he could not get 4 wheel drive here at all...how strange is that.
Old 09-22-05, 03:03 PM
LexFather

Not bad at all, a HUGE interior improvement, thoguht the current one is so sad, well, a Yugo is an improvement.

The front though, looks like those vans they have with the SUV nose.

Not bad at all, will selll like crazy

Old 09-22-05, 05:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not bad at all, will selll like crazy
Let's wait until we see what Rita does to gas prices if it wipes out some of the Houston-Area rigs and oil facilities.....granted, this is a 2007 we are talkng about and these new vehicles probably won't be for sale for almost another year, but if the effects of Rita keep prices high for a long time....added to the already high and growing demand in China and India......these full-size SUV's may not be so appealing.
Old 09-22-05, 05:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Let's wait until we see what Rita does to gas prices if it wipes out some of the Houston-Area rigs and oil facilities.....granted, this is a 2007 we are talkng about and these new vehicles probably won't be for sale for almost another year, but if the effects of Rita keep prices high for a long time....added to the already high and growing demand in China and India......these full-size SUV's may not be so appealing.
I am begining to think that people just will live with these higher prices, even if they can barely afford it and even if it means $100 fillups weekly.

People do not want to leave their buses.

Quick Reply: Its here. GM's 2007 Tahoe and Suburban