Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW!! 2005 Lexus ES 330

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-05, 03:55 PM
LexFather

Thumbs up 1SICKREVIEW!! 2005 Lexus ES 330

Big thanks to the best Lexus dealer in GA, Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett

The world is getting more hectic. RIght now, it seems a lil crazy, the weather, the war, women , it just is a little nutty. It seems we have more to do with less time and less help. Prices on everthing is up, our raises are 2% a year, add that up. On top of that, there seems to be more idiots on the road than ever before. Kids are grown up at 5 years old. The printer at work, will NEVER work right. So forget about it. Your cell phone service sucks. They got your order wrong at Wendy's. You try to come home, you seem to hit every red light.

I can't think of a BETTER car to be in, at ever red light, after going through so much daily crap, than the Lexus ES 330.

We live in a world where people are caught up in Horsepower and how fast a car can circle some damn cones. Do you have some cones are home? MArketing insists Nissan Altimas are sport sedans, every car need 500hp to be adequate and well, it does work, people do buy power. It seems if your car is not RWD and does not have the acceleration of an atom under intense pressure, well, your car sucks.

Well, let me explain, the ES 300/330 has NEVER been about that. Lexus TRIED that crap in the 90s but with the IS coming, made the ES 300/330 2002+ a full blown luxury car.

I kid you not, this interior is as good as anything on the market short of a Bently or Rolls Royce. Its that damn good. Panel gaps with incredible tolerances. Real wood all over. Chrom accents. Quiet, you can hear your heart beat. Space, this car is much larger than past ES 330s (though I seem to NEVER be able to get truly comfortable in a FWD car). Honesly this car is 32-40k and the interior is simply on par with the best in the world.

And you know what, after dealing with the crap daily, I like this feel and where this is going.

When I took my lady peers to lunch a couple times this past week, well they knew it was a Lexus, b/c it was me. They didn't know what Lexus it was. They loved the interior and commented on it but otherwise, I didn't get the usual or "lets go to bed" look like in some other Lexus and other cars. So image wise, its down from the RX 330. But it's a "Lexus" so it still garnishes that respect. And no "Camry comments" thus far.
7 out of 10 stars

Luxury
This interior is just ridiculous. Even with the newer Toyota Avalon out, this interior is still more luxurious, even with a couple less, newer features. High quality plastics, the same leather it seems in the RX 330, it jus smells expensive. Dual zone cimate control, 6 in dash CD, the usual beautiful gauges, it just puts you at ease. After a long day, YOU NEED this. I don't want aluminum and dark, this made me feel relaxed. I can't think of too many better interiors
9 out of 10 stars

Performance
Again, I am not comparing this to the RWD Sport sedans in its class. More the luxury cars, even cars like the 40-50k V-6 STS b/c this car is just fine. Engine power is fine, but I cannot lie, I would like MORE. There were a couple times the engine felt meager, which is funny as the RX never felt that way. Acceleration, well an 8 second car (0-60) and getting to 80mph is easy.
As for handling it really surprised me, reading some of the anti-Lexus guys here, you would think it would tip over. But it was very composed even when pushed hard, I could not get the tires to squeal except once. Now, I would NOT always take hard corners in it but if the situation came up, you would be fine.
7 out of 10 stars
Gas
I averaged 22-24 MPG, depeding on how I drove. Not bad at all. It was easily more fuel effiicent than the RX 330. I think I only gased the ES up twice. The Fuel cap has the string, so it won't fall off, like all new Lexus.

Review/Conclusion

I cannot lie, this car was too pleasing. After running around like mad for work and for NOPI, it was nice to be in a car, you know is tops in quality. It was nice, it was like the car, temperarily got me away from the MADNESS that is the world today. That alone is worth the asking price.

Of note, the #)()#$() Tranny shifted funny a few times, not as bad as the RX 330 I had but still, not the usual Lexus pefect. The GS/IS/LS/SC/GX DO NOT have htis problem. DOes the Camry and HIghlander have it?

You see, we seem to be taught today, it HAS to be sporty, it HAS to have 500hp, it HAS to corner like a Porsche. Well it DOESN'T. Clearly 70k buyers a year, cannot be wrong. Tell the reviewers that love these sports sedans to live with them, buy those low profile tires, listen to that noise, let that body feel the harshness day in day out.

I now can see living with that on weekends. For the week, I can see the ES 330 being PERFECt for most anyone.

Overall
8 outta 10 stars

Old 09-22-05, 04:46 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am also a fan of the new es. I like the 97-01 body style better but the new one isn't far behind. I totally agree about the ergomnomics of the car. It feels like a luxury car that costs thousands more. You feel isolated from the outside. After a hard day, that's exactly what we need sometimes. Materials are spot on. Also agree there could be a little more power but it is adequate. 97-01 models have much better pull but hey, it can't be perfect at 32k. I plan to get one for the wife. Once we put some wheels on it...it will feel like home.
Old 09-22-05, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks, Mike. As usual, great review. I would change almost nothing, except to say that the LS430 is probably an even better car than the ES330 to be in after a stressful day.
I'm also glad to see that there are people who also think like I do.....that straight-luxury cars are NICE to relax in after a rough day.....and not have to put up with feeling every cigarette butt in the road with rubber-band tires and rock-hard suspensions.
Old 09-22-05, 05:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by reggiek
I am also a fan of the new es. I like the 97-01 body style better but the new one isn't far behind. I totally agree about the ergomnomics of the car. It feels like a luxury car that costs thousands more. You feel isolated from the outside. After a hard day, that's exactly what we need sometimes. Materials are spot on. Also agree there could be a little more power but it is adequate. 97-01 models have much better pull but hey, it can't be perfect at 32k. I plan to get one for the wife. Once we put some wheels on it...it will feel like home.
Yeah, it really does feel more expensive
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, Mike. As usual, great review. I would change almost nothing, except to say that the LS430 is probably an even better car than the ES330 to be in after a stressful day.
I'm also glad to see that there are people who also think like I do.....that straight-luxury cars are NICE to relax in after a rough day.....and not have to put up with feeling every cigarette butt in the road with rubber-band tires and rock-hard suspensions.
Yeah, amazing the LS does extend upon the ES's qualities.

Old 09-22-05, 06:07 PM
Matters
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally agree with you. I found the new ES to be one of the most pleasurable cars to drive. My Camry is good enough for now but it's not even close to the feeling of satisfaction derived from such a beautifully crafted interior.

I have to say that I think my 1999 ES is more elegant exterior wise than the new one.
Old 09-22-05, 08:05 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like to hear postive comments about the ES. personally my favorite lexus vehicle is the ES. everytime i see one, especially a new one (05) in black, my head turns becuase it really does look like a luxury vehicle. this car looks like its worth more than 32k. even in base trim with cashmere leather w/ the golden wood. i think it look like its worth 5 thousand more.
Old 09-22-05, 11:42 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The ES to me is the baby LS, and yet not so much of a baby anymore...the interior and exterior complement each other very well, and despite the platform sharing I hold the ES in very, very high regard.
Old 09-23-05, 07:18 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Matters
Totally agree with you. I found the new ES to be one of the most pleasurable cars to drive. My Camry is good enough for now but it's not even close to the feeling of satisfaction derived from such a beautifully crafted interior.

I have to say that I think my 1999 ES is more elegant exterior wise than the new one.
I agree the previous generation ES you have is the best looking ES to date
The interior of the current ES is the best ever in it's class though for luxury, I' ve had it as a loaner & is quite impressed with the interior for a car its price.
Old 09-23-05, 07:58 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree as well. The interior is immaculate for a car of this price.

NICE review SICK.

As for handling it really surprised me, reading some of the anti-Lexus guys here, you would think it would tip over. But it was very composed even when pushed hard, I could not get the tires to squeal except once. Now, I would NOT always take hard corners in it but if the situation came up, you would be fine.
The word "Floaty" comes to mind. This word is used all the time when describing a smooth easy riding car. And to me its not the correct word to use when describing the ES330 or LS430. When I think of a floaty car I think of a 1992 Cadillac Fleetwood Bourgham or Deville. A Buick Roadmaster, a Lincoln Town Car(Ride or Drive one of these like I have and tell me if you still feel the same about Lexus vehicles. There is a big difference). That is floaty when the suspension keeps going up and down 20 times after its gone over a pothole or dip in the road(to the point where you can get sick). The Lexus cars do not float. They are smooth riding cars that are always controlled. Bump, Up, Down, thats it. Just because you barely feel or hear the bump doesnt mean that the car is floaty.
Old 09-23-05, 10:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Great review. In urban and suburban chaos, a sporty car is pretty pointless. Had I stayed in Atlanta I feel fairly sure I would have sold my modded GS and gotten a 'library with wheels'. Now I don't drive much and I have empty roads around me, so the GS is great.

The ES is a soothing quality appliance. It works, it's comfy, it's refined, and it's priced right. It keeps the madness outside from entering in.
Old 09-23-05, 11:14 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Id rather get the avalon limited fully loaded with navigation than a fully loaded ES...the avalon would still cost me less with more options than a fully loaded lexus ES330 would - the wood is **** in the avalon..but besides that - it lacks nothing. it beats the ES330 in my opinion in terms of everything else. i dont care for that L badge too much - the GS is another story..its at a level of its own.
Old 09-23-05, 11:33 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS3rdwow
Id rather get the avalon limited fully loaded with navigation than a fully loaded ES...the avalon would still cost me less with more options than a fully loaded lexus ES330 would - the wood is **** in the avalon..but besides that - it lacks nothing. it beats the ES330 in my opinion in terms of everything else. i dont care for that L badge too much - the GS is another story..its at a level of its own.
I agree. While I love my ES for what it is, the Avalon is a much better buy for the year of 2005.

You do feel luxury sitting in an ES, however. I guess that's what makes the ES a Lexus and therefore the pricing difference.
Old 09-23-05, 12:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Yeah but if you get the Avalon you've got to go to a Toyota dealer for service - and it ain't NOTHIN' like a Lexus dealer!
Old 09-23-05, 01:52 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

I am sure the ES is an amazing car to relax in etc. etc. Same goes for the LS, however I cannot get over those loooooooooooooooonnnng overhangs that the ES has.......... I have never driven an ES and obviously my opinion is purely based on its external looks that I am not a great fan of.

I don't drive a lot, but I drive my wife's car (97 Maxima SE) and mine all the time and I just hate her car. There's nothing wrong with the car mechanically, I just find the road feel non existent, and it has a very annoying tendency to shift to overdrive as soon as possible.

I absolutely love my GS with the TEIN Flex and EDFC. I can set the shock damping to rock hard or soft at the touch of a button and in 2 seconds the cars character is transformed.

I absolutely love the rush of the highly responsive high-speed-TC-and-LSD-combo throttle of my GS compared to the very lazy throttle on the Maxima............

I would much rather be in my GS any day even in slow traffic - it just brings a big smile to my face that the Maxima can never bring. I am sure the ES has a much better interior and overall feeling than the Maxima, but I would never drive an ES over my GS - I need to have some road feel and a very responsive throttle!

Last edited by Hameed; 09-23-05 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-23-05, 02:12 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yeah but if you get the Avalon you've got to go to a Toyota dealer for service - and it ain't NOTHIN' like a Lexus dealer!
Based on my "wonderful Lexus dealer service" thank God that you have to go to Toyota. My experience was the worst service experience that I ahve ever encountered.

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW!! 2005 Lexus ES 330