Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Suffering from a rash? Drive a Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-05, 07:30 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Suffering from a rash? Drive a Toyota

Suffering from a rash? Drive a Toyota
Japanese automaker working on cars that offer skin care

DETROIT - Suffering from a rash? Drive a Toyota.

That could well be Toyota Motor Corp.’s next slogan, if the world’s second-largest automaker succeeds in offering cars with a medicated cloth seat cover designed to help heal rashes.

“It’s important for us to continue to push this envelope,” Jim Press, president of Toyota’s U.S. division, told the Reuters Autos Summit on Thursday, referring to a host of features being developed to enhance the driving experience.
Story continues below ↓ advertisement

Press said Toyota is hopeful that the new cloth and other technical innovations in interiors may come to market “in a year or two,” adding that the carmaker is talking to vendors about partnerships.

“I think innovation will be key to determining success of new products,” Press said. “It will no longer be good enough to just have new products.”

Toyota is also looking at a steering wheel that could help diabetics by allowing them to measure their blood sugar levels by simply gripping the wheel.

Taking that a step further, the wheel, in conjunction with other technology, will also be able to gauge a driver’s temperament and blood pressure, adjusting the color of the headlights on the car to warn others of the driver’s mental state.

“It would give other drivers on the road a signal on which cars they must stay away from,” Press said. “It will be a few more years before consumers see this technology in the market,” he added.

Toyota, Japan’s largest automaker, is also refining its interior electronics to give consumers access to news, music, playlists from iPod digital music players, traffic and other information -- even movies on demand -- through a single source in the car that will use satellite technology.

Several top executives at U.S. automakers such as General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. have also stressed the importance of more sophisticated car interiors at the summit this week, but they refused to disclose details on their plans.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9439612/
Old 09-23-05, 08:18 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait... so does that mean people are gonna be driving around naked in the Toyotas now?

It is nice to see a car company, though, that actually CARES about people. Maybe Ford "We could care less if our vehicles cause fires that turn your home and all worldly possesions into ash. You're Just SOL" Motor Company should start taking some lessons from Toyota on the importance of human life.
Old 09-23-05, 09:36 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

If I have that bad of a rash, my vehicles interior would be the least of my worries! lol
Old 09-23-05, 10:22 AM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
Taking that a step further, the wheel, in conjunction with other technology, will also be able to gauge a driver’s temperament and blood pressure, adjusting the color of the headlights on the car to warn others of the driver’s mental state.

“It would give other drivers on the road a signal on which cars they must stay away from,” Press said. “It will be a few more years before consumers see this technology in the market,” he added.
That would be kind of scary to cut someone off and see the color of their headlights turn red.

The more I think about this, the more I worry that it will give cops a way to harass people.