Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GAS PRICES $6.00/gallon AND UP

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-05, 05:35 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default GAS PRICES $6.00/gallon AND UP

Guys, i just received a call from a close friend of mine who's uncle owns a gas station. He told me the gas price will go up to $6.00 a gallon starting on Sept. 24th in So. California. Since there's been hurricanes in TEXAS. I dont know how true this is, but i wont risk it. I'll be taking all my cars to fill up the tank tonight.

Tommy
Old 09-23-05, 07:14 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, it will go up if everybody starts buying gas jugs and filling up ALL of their cars. Lets not freak out like how people in atlanta did.
Old 09-23-05, 08:09 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yea just relax and lets see wha happens before we go and fill up and make everything go up..i hope they dont go up case i have to drive down to south carolina on monday and if the gas price goes up i dunno what im gonna do...
Old 09-23-05, 08:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Tommy you need to chill bro. You're over reacting.

FYI, this belongs in Car Chat.
Old 09-23-05, 10:49 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Tommy you need to chill bro. You're over reacting.

FYI, this belongs in Car Chat.
What he said. On both counts. In Cali, we have different formulation than most people which is one reason why our gas is more expensive. It also means when we have a refinery go down, we are screwed, we can't use gas from other states. It also means our formula is too expensive to make it worth sending to other states. So we may see some price increase, we still compete for crude, but if anything other than Death Valley sees $6 a gallon tomorrow, they saw $5 a gallon briefly during the Katrina fallout, I would be very surprised. There hasn't been any real movement in the price of crude.

Topping off tonight may get you one tank full of gas at a lower price or it may prove how easily swayed you are. It may go up tomorrow but I think this is a crock and I sure am not heading out to try and create a panic. Like flipside said, chill.
Old 09-24-05, 12:59 AM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I also heard the same thing about gas prices. Even here on the East coast in Delaware, we are expecting $5 a gallon, which is about $2 higher than what it is now. The only reason that this will happen is that if the 3 big oil tankers stationed down that way get some interation with the hurricane. Today i heard it dropped back down to a level 3, which is better than what it was at before. Maybe it will die down, and we won't have to experience these prices in gasoline. If so, i'll start to mod my Schwinn. lol

John
Old 09-24-05, 07:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,375 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Whatever you guys agree to do here on CL won't make any difference in the larger picture. If more people get a whiff of panic, all bets are off.
Old 09-24-05, 10:13 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$6, thats nothing.
I wish it would drop to $6 over here
Old 09-24-05, 11:10 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

How does this industry do their billing that mid-stream they have these knee jerk price increases?
Old 09-24-05, 12:33 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RA40
How does this industry do their billing that mid-stream they have these knee jerk price increases?
It has nothing to do with that. Freshman economics classes around the country are loving this vivid demonstration of the most basic supply-and-demand fluctation.
Old 09-24-05, 12:39 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That won't happen in the Chicago area. All the gas stations around here are terrified of being closed/fined for price gouging.
Old 09-24-05, 12:40 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Richie
$6, thats nothing.
I wish it would drop to $6 over here
You need to go talk to the tax people, not the oil people.
Old 09-24-05, 01:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mikal
well, it will go up if everybody starts buying gas jugs and filling up ALL of their cars. Lets not freak out like how people in atlanta did.
I agree with mikal. Don't play that game. If people don't panic and drive demand up to ridiculous levels, we probably won't see ridiculous prices. If they can't sell it at $6, they will HAVE to drop the price....or simply NOT raise it to start with.
Old 09-24-05, 07:22 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with the basic supply and demand concept. I took freshman economics last year, and am taking part 2 this year. There is nothing else that will better explain this than people panicing and rushing to get gas, and then driving gas prices up that high. I do realize if some of the oil is restricted, then it will raise due to low quantity, but the US isn't going to run out of gas, and there's always public transportation. But if you own a car, most people don't want to go that route.

John
Old 09-24-05, 11:07 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Guys let's just not lose sight of the fact that the comments voiced that started this thread were pretty much total BS. I filled up two days ago in NoCal at $3.05 for premium and drove by the station today and it had rocketed to ...... $3.05 a gallon. I don't know who made what comment to who or what motives there were behind it, but it was fearmongering crap at its worst. Sorry if the language offends but reality is tough enough without things like this going on.

Quick Reply: GAS PRICES $6.00/gallon AND UP