Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What service repairs call 4 a Loaner Car??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-05, 12:48 AM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What service repairs call 4 a Loaner Car??

Just wondering what service repair would call for lexus to give u a loaner car AND what are the rules for a loaner car? (ex. If u break u buy, no tickets, dont go over certain miles...Ect!!)
Old 09-26-05, 10:07 AM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

The rules have been different for every dealer I've been to... some won't give you a loaner unless you are there for "service"... i.e., to fix something and not for scheduled maintenance like a minor oil change. Others have told me since I didn't buy from their delaership I can't get a loaner.

As for rules, in my experience it is just like a rental car... you have to sign a contract, they take your D/L and insurance information, fill up with gas, check for damage, etc. Tickets will go back to the dealer and they will then pass it over to you.
Old 09-26-05, 11:44 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

I get loaners from the Lexus dealer even where I didn't buy my car there. My experience is any service, scheduled or non-scheduled, should provide a Lexus loaner if it's anything more than just an oil change, or if it takes more than an hour. Also, I never had limits on mileage on loaners, nor do I require to fill up the gas before returning the car.
Old 09-26-05, 12:18 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually get free loaners anytime I'm at the dealer for service (maintenance included). I just need to request one when I make an appointment.
Old 09-26-05, 12:23 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I get loaners from the Lexus dealer even where I didn't buy my car there. My experience is any service, scheduled or non-scheduled, should provide a Lexus loaner if it's anything more than just an oil change, or if it takes more than an hour. Also, I never had limits on mileage on loaners, nor do I require to fill up the gas before returning the car.
My dealer will give me a loaner whenever I'm in there for service if I request one at the time that I book the appointment, even if it's just an oil change. For an oil change they'll usually adjust the delivery time though from 1 hour if I wait for the car to 3+ hours if I take a loaner.
Old 09-26-05, 01:08 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

My experience has been the following, I have requested a loaner now for 5 visits to our dealership at the time the appointment was made. 3 in the IS300, no loaners available, one of those visits a guy pulled up 30 minutes after me in a GS400 and received an ES loaner. The other 2 visits have been in the GX, I received an ES loaner once and an RX the other. I've seen the same thing happen to other customers and I can't stand the way this dealer seems to discriminate towards younger IS300 owners but it's the closest (30 miles) to my house and the next closest is 50 miles away.
Old 09-26-05, 01:55 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Toyota down here will charge me $400 pesos (about $40 USD) per day for a Corolla loaner. No freebie loaners like Lexus.

However, the Lexus dealer up in San Antonio will give me the loaner whenever I come up, even if it is just for an all-day repair, since I am coming from Mexico City.
Old 09-26-05, 02:53 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

If it is convenient for me to have my wife pick me up, I don't get a loaner. I have never been refused a loaner and if I didn't arrange for one, they always ask if I want one. There were two times we needed a loaner and they were out of cars. They had Hertz drive over and give us a rental car - not a Lexus but I am very grateful for this part of the service. When I need a loaner and they have them available they ask me what I want between and ES and an RX. I go back and forth just to try them out. This is one place where Lexus gets high marks. All service on both GSs done at Magnussen Lexus in Fremont, neither car bought there.
Old 09-26-05, 03:19 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus of Tampa Bay gives a loaner if you give them 7 days notice on the service... ANY service.
Old 09-26-05, 03:58 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

i bought my car from hennessy in atlanta but always used nalley for service.. they were great. loaners for even a basic oil change. i always dropped my car off after work around 6pm and the gave me a loaner for overnight and until 6pm the next day. nalley lexus in smyrna gets a
Old 09-26-05, 04:09 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Same here, including just an oil change.
Old 09-26-05, 04:33 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as I make an appointment , I get a loaner for service and maintenance.
Old 09-26-05, 05:07 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Loaners

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
My experience has been the following, I have requested a loaner now for 5 visits to our dealership at the time the appointment was made. 3 in the IS300, no loaners available, one of those visits a guy pulled up 30 minutes after me in a GS400 and received an ES loaner. The other 2 visits have been in the GX, I received an ES loaner once and an RX the other. I've seen the same thing happen to other customers and I can't stand the way this dealer seems to discriminate towards younger IS300 owners but it's the closest (30 miles) to my house and the next closest is 50 miles away.
Which dealership are you going to.

My wife and I both have 1999 GS400's and did not buy them from a Lexus dealership.

We take them into the dealership in Fife (Lexus of Tacoma) and always get a new ES or a new RX or a loaner. They have never asked to see any proof of insurance and only once asked to see my drivers license. My wife was in there for unscheduled work and they actually ran out of loaner cars (I think they have 27 ) so they got her a 2005 Toyota Camry from a rental place.

I know every dealership is independent and can make up there own rules. I am very happy with the way they take care of me. I have never asked for a loaner for something as simple as an oil change but I bet if I asked and they had a car available they would let me use it.

They also handwash my car any time I want. I do not even need to be getting anything done.

Plus they have great doughnuts fruit juice a huge flat screen tv and the place is always full of hot women.

Ivan
3dog
Old 09-26-05, 05:39 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Once i got a loaner because i wanted my car detailed to remove water spots from the dealer washer. He was pretty reasonable charging about $140. They also gave me a RX330 for 3 days.
Very reasonable in my opinion

Mink92890

I love Lexus Servicing and what they do to make the customer happy.
Old 09-26-05, 09:37 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so can any of you Southern California members tell me which dealership will actually give me Lexus quality service and provide me with a loaner. My ES has got to go in because she's not feeling well, and my Chevrolegs just aren't what they used to be. I'd much rather actually have a car to make my 30 miles-each-way commute.

Quick Reply: What service repairs call 4 a Loaner Car??