Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

King of Bling? Cadillac hoping hip-hop input will help make 2007 Escalade a hit

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-05, 06:58 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most def a range rover.

or a LX470 (i drive its younger bro, the 4.5L Land Cruiser)
Old 09-28-05, 07:11 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

some of you guys are full of ******* its ok if a car company caters to middle age white uys which they certainly have been doing for a lons time or young white guys that like to drive fast and modd every car they get to death and i can go on with this line, but when they start to market to the HOOD,RAPPERS OR GHETTO people now you guys have a problem. its ok t bash a car company b/c maybe they deserve it but im not feeling some of the bull**** comments in this thread. everyone is going to cater to the people that help PAY their bills. im quite sure some of you guys have seen escallades with big rims and said to yourself that looks hot, but now its not hot b/c the car company is making it optional b/c theyre catering to a certain group?yeah im not feeling the comments b/c im from the HOOD/GHETTO and i take offense to them
Old 09-28-05, 08:25 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sha4000
some of you guys are full of ******* its ok if a car company caters to middle age white uys which they certainly have been doing for a lons time or young white guys that like to drive fast and modd every car they get to death and i can go on with this line, but when they start to market to the HOOD,RAPPERS OR GHETTO people now you guys have a problem. its ok t bash a car company b/c maybe they deserve it but im not feeling some of the bull**** comments in this thread. everyone is going to cater to the people that help PAY their bills. im quite sure some of you guys have seen escallades with big rims and said to yourself that looks hot, but now its not hot b/c the car company is making it optional b/c theyre catering to a certain group?yeah im not feeling the comments b/c im from the HOOD/GHETTO and i take offense to them
I agree. You can take a man out of the 'hood, but not the 'hood out of a man. I myself grew up in "the ghetto". And I don't have a problem with Caddy targeting that crowd.

If Cadillac is ghetto, then Honda is a ricers' paradise. And I could go on and on. Both terms can be offensive.
Old 09-29-05, 06:48 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Nah, I'm not full of ish. I grew up in the "hood" too - Jam, Queens right off of Guy Brew. Rest assured my point is valid.

I didn't say it was okay for car companies to target or cater to middle aged white people. What I said was it is IRONIC that the market they were targeting doesn't buy the vehicle, i.e - they didn't expect the car to be a hit with whole different type of culture, they completely MISSED thier target group. Personally, I like a tastefully modded Escalade, especially black with black faced wheels, LOL. As 1SICK pointed out this is a $60k SUV, not ghetto at all. But in city as you know, we see $60k vehicles ALL the time.

Caddy is smart to cater to a market that pays thier bills, you have change with the times. What I find interesting is how they responded. Take for example Tommy Hill, when he a found a large majority of minorites were rocking his clothes in the 90's - he didn't respond the way Caddy did. In fact he took offense. So yes, I do find it IRONIC that Caddy is doing an about face and catering to a market that they didn't intend to penetrate. As I pointed out, not every company would respond the same. Is there anything wrong with it? No, I think it shows a flexible and responsive marketing group.
Old 09-29-05, 08:43 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

nah bi wasnt talking aboutyour comment tech, just read some of the other comments and they stick out real easy.everybody has a right to their opinion but ill be damned if ill let someone be what i deem as disrespectful right in my face. thats alwayswhat happens is a company targets a certain group to buy their product and then they realize that someone else is also interested. if the escalade has lost its excusivity then so has lexus b/c when i got my first ls400 in 96' it was rare to see another young guy pushing one also and they didnt evenhave all the models that they have right now. today i see lexus everywhere and thats just a compliment to theyre popularity.you have teenagers on this board pushins ls 400s now is that really who lexus targets for that vehicle? i dont think so
Old 09-29-05, 11:23 AM
LexFather

nah bi wasnt talking aboutyour comment tech, just read some of the other comments and they stick out real easy.everybody has a right to their opinion but ill be damned if ill let someone be what i deem as disrespectful right in my face. thats alwayswhat happens is a company targets a certain group to buy their product and then they realize that someone else is also interested. if the escalade has lost its excusivity then so has lexus b/c when i got my first ls400 in 96' it was rare to see another young guy pushing one also and they didnt evenhave all the models that they have right now. today i see lexus everywhere and thats just a compliment to theyre popularity.you have teenagers on this board pushins ls 400s now is that really who lexus targets for that vehicle? i dont think so
U do know I am a minority right

, check this out

When minorities, specifically black Americans were slowly gaining wealth in the 1920s and 1930s, they had a very, very hard time buying property or homes. There were black doctors, lawyers, etc who could afford expensive things but at the time, were not given a fair opportunity to buy them.
They could not buy new cars either. But they could buy used cars, if the owner would sell it to them.
Cadillac at the time was pretty much THE car to have in America. It spoke tremendously of your status in society. Since well to do black people could not buy homes, they went to the next best thing.

Cadillacs. The crazy thing is Cadillac REFUSED to sell blacks the cars new. So what these people did was buy them USED. On top of that, they paid TOP DOLLAR for these used Cadillacs, paying new prices and more for used ones.

Fast Forward 70 years later and its incredible that minorities and wealthy blacks have made Caddy cool again. IT wasn't the CTS, the Catera, the STS, XLR etc. It was the ESCALADE. It was seeing the Escalade in every rap video from 6 years ago to today.

I have an issue of EVO, where Caddy executives were not sure if they were pleased or put off, with whom buys these Caddys.

Now, its funny, they are targeting these people to buy this truck. Which is a good thing, any smart company does the same thing.

However, even with this said, it doesn't take away the fact, the image of the Escalade is simply "ghetto". Period. That is the image of the car, no matter what race the owner is. And again, much of that has to do with it being in every rap video, where people mimic these rides.

Have you ever seen an Escalade on HREs? Or tastefully done? Rarely. Most have the same, cheap, giant chrome wheels, outlandish colors, systems blaring.

Clearly, 50,000 people a year see NOTHING wrong with that.

Old 09-29-05, 11:39 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

whoa, when did race become an issue? How about we stick to the subject at hand and stop being so hyper-sensitive. Regardless of what color your skin is, gaudy is gaudy. If some people want to be gaudy then go right ahead... just don't expect to be accepted by those who place substance over flash.
Old 09-29-05, 12:27 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

nobody called the bently ghetto and everyone rapper who could afford to rent one put it in their video with big *** rims too. lexus and mercedes is talked about in rap songs more than any other car i can think of right now but no one considers this ghetto. 1sick there are diff. levels to being a minority just like there are diff. levels for all things in life.when people talk about other people being ghetto it is used in a derogatory sense so lets not kid ourselves here.as you said already this behavior is real and it comes from years of being told what to do and what not to do.personally i like the escallade in that price range it lokks hotter than any suv that lexus has on the mrket rightnow.reliability is another issue altogether.no car or truck is exclusive anymore unless you are talking about spending over 100k or unless you live in the backwoods i dont want to argue i just want to get my point across like everyone else here
Old 09-29-05, 01:00 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Well it's about time GM and the people over at Cadillac realize they need to expand their market. Relying on their reputation from 50-60 years ago just isn't going to cut it. Those who are nostalgic about owning the premier automobile are going to die off...literally.

It's great Cadillac is getting input on how to improve their cars, and all of us here are anxiously awaiting to see what the next Escalade will look like with their suggestions. Hopefully it will pay off for the company. America really does need strong luxury brand.

The designers better not end up with anything like this....
Attached Thumbnails King of Bling? Cadillac hoping hip-hop input will help make 2007 Escalade a hit-homercar01.jpeg  
Old 09-29-05, 04:47 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bruce van
Well it's about time GM and the people over at Cadillac realize they need to expand their market. Relying on their reputation from 50-60 years ago just isn't going to cut it. Those who are nostalgic about owning the premier automobile are going to die off...literally.

It's great Cadillac is getting input on how to improve their cars, and all of us here are anxiously awaiting to see what the next Escalade will look like with their suggestions. Hopefully it will pay off for the company. America really does need strong luxury brand.

The designers better not end up with anything like this....
LMAO i needed that
Old 09-29-05, 09:20 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

... 07 Escalade Homer Simpson Edition
Old 10-02-05, 07:39 PM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://autodeadline.com/Photos?kw=20...20Tahoe&page=2

http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofivers...p/t353416.html