Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why the skinny tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-05, 11:45 AM
Final Word
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
The Avalon is considered a large family car, not a sports sedan like the Max & TL. Most Avalon buyers don't take hairpins on offramps like they do in the others so it wasen't necessary for a larger tire........those that want that, Toyota's thinking is probably the customer with choose the 'Touring' model & upgrade the wheels & tires accordingly anyways so why not keep it simple (which is smart & cost effective) with one tire size across the board? Remember there are 4 models of Avalon to pick from.......the Maxima has only 2 & the SE has 245 45 18's if memory serves as an option because (again) it's a slightly different customer they are going after.
I realize that the Avalon is not considered a sports sedan. However, even the touring edition of the Avalon has the 215's. For the "sporty" model, don't you think they should be a little wider to help in cornering and provide better road feel? Again, i'm not really trying to turn the Avalon into a sports sedan. I just think that it looks awkward with such skinny tires. I think 225's would have looked much better as standard equipment, and I can't imagine gas mileage would suffer tremendously or even at all as a result.
Old 09-30-05, 02:01 PM
Lvangundy

Per MMarshall's comment about wide tires in snow/rain...

What are you supposed to do in wet weather with fat tires?

Where is the most effective balance achieved?

If Porsche puts 285s or 305s on their car, wouldn't they tell you NOT to drive it in the rain/snow?

The hydroplane problem must only get worse with SUPER wide 355+ tires???

Old 09-30-05, 02:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
Per MMarshall's comment about wide tires in snow/rain...

What are you supposed to do in wet weather with fat tires?

Where is the most effective balance achieved?

If Porsche puts 285s or 305s on their car, wouldn't they tell you NOT to drive it in the rain/snow?

The hydroplane problem must only get worse with SUPER wide 355+ tires???
Tread compounds, of course, make a difference, but in general, rain / snow conditions do not mix well with low, fat tires...for reasons which I explained earlier. Some Owners' Manuals even have disclaimers to this effect, like the Subaru Sti, which states that the STi's original rubber, even with AWD, was designed for dry high-performance conditions and that for winter, snow tires are best. You mention Porsches.....even on the Porsche AWD models, you still sometimes need a set of good rain or snow tires for lousy conditions. This is one reason.....among many others.....why many sports-car owners in the Snow Belt either put on rain or snow tires during the cooler months or just park it in the garage until spring. ( many of them own second vehicles or winter-beaters anyway ). Snow tires are generally available now in many low-profile sizes to fit sports cars, which are generally better in snow than factory rubber ( and get in line early because they sell out FAST every autumn ) but still high-profiles are best in winter. It is just one of the trade-offs you currently make if you want a dry-weather screamer.
Tire engineers are testing new rubber / silicone compounds and new tread patterns trying to perfect a new class of high-performance all-season tires that will, to some extent, combine the performance of dry-weather high-performance tires with the adaptability of all-season tires....but this is proving to be a difficult task and they have not beeen perfected yet.

I know this may not be a perfect solution for you, but I hope this explanation helps.
Old 10-01-05, 09:18 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Final Word
I realize that the Avalon is not considered a sports sedan. However, even the touring edition of the Avalon has the 215's. For the "sporty" model, don't you think they should be a little wider to help in cornering and provide better road feel? Again, i'm not really trying to turn the Avalon into a sports sedan. I just think that it looks awkward with such skinny tires. I think 225's would have looked much better as standard equipment, and I can't imagine gas mileage would suffer tremendously or even at all as a result.
OK, were talking 10mm of 'extra' tire here.......which is 1 cm! I doubt that will make much (if any difference).
Old 10-01-05, 12:22 PM
Final Word
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
OK, were talking 10mm of 'extra' tire here.......which is 1 cm! I doubt that will make much (if any difference).
Of course it makes a difference. 1 cm is 1 cm. No, 1 cm will not turn the Avalon into an aggressive-looking BMW-beater, but it would balance it out a bit more. Like I said, 225's would be "better". I would have put 235's on the Avalon.
Old 10-01-05, 05:48 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Final Word
Of course it makes a difference. 1 cm is 1 cm. No, 1 cm will not turn the Avalon into an aggressive-looking BMW-beater, but it would balance it out a bit more.
I'll take the Toyota engineers word for it on this.......I'm sure they had that option, but they decided the 215's made more sense.

Yes 1 cm is 1 cm, but not earth shattering (especially on an Avalon) so why bother. I saw several Avalon owners just today driving (2 new 2005's to boot!....1 XLE & 1 Touring). I think they were around during WWII & neither driver looked too concerned about their factory tire sizes Final. But feel free to upgrade.

Funny thing, the upgraded rating for an 18" size is 215 50 18 & no recommendations for 19".