Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2006 Hyundai Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-05, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2006 Hyundai Sonata

Some of you have expressed interest in the new 2006 Hyundai Sonata...one of the highest-scoring vehicles last year in Consumer Reports' reliablity database and very-high-scoring with J.D. Power as well. I mentioned several weeks ago I would look at this car very closely and test-drive it, and I did this afternoon...in fact, I got a request from a minister friend of mine to do so.

So...first the good news before I get into details. One of the things I was very concerned about, if you remember from previous posts, was the fact that Sonata production was being transferred from the Aisan, Korea plant to Montgomery, AL......a brand-new plant with a brand new car with brand-new untested workers in a new country as well....four potential problem areas. Well, the good news.....and this was confirmed on the vehicle stickers as well.....is that only the LX V6 models are coming from the new AL plant. That will be the test for the new plant. All the rest of the 2006 Sonatas will remain at the Korean plant ( including ALL of the 4-cylinders ) at least for now.........until the new factory proves itself as the Korean plants have. Hyundai wisely resisted the move here to put all of its Sonata eggs in one basket in an untested plant. There's no way to really prove it, but the recent bad experience of Nissan at the Canton, MS plant and of M-B at the Tuscaloosa, AL plant had to have been factors in that decision, too. ( And I myself voiced some concern to Hyundai about this )
So that alone, IMO, is good news..... most of the new Sonatas will come from a thoroughly tested plant.

OK....so much for the assembly plant. Now, for the interesting part....what comes OUT of the plant.
With gas prices at record levels and no signs of any real drop soon, though, I looked at all of the versions throughly, but concentrated on the GL 4-cylinder automatic for the test-drive....that model seemed to be gathering the most interest. ( In fact I took some time out to answer questions and give some advice out there on the lot to people who were browsing and shopping and unsure of what to buy ).
The new Sonata, of course, competes with a number of other moderately-priced mid-size cars in a market long dominated by the Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, and Ford Taurus....and the Taurus is now fleet sales only. As such, the Sonata has rather unassuming styling outside....with taillights similiar to the Accord......and is slightly shorter than its primary competitiors, yet is even roomier inside. With the front seat about halfway back, I could fit my 6' 2" 275-lb. frame into the back seat with room enough to have freedom for my knees without having them crunched up in my chest like on so many other cars. The front seats were fine on the lower back but the cushion was a little short for good thigh support for long-legged people.
The interior in general was nicely done considering the $19,000-$20,000 price tag. A two-tone black/gray or black/beige contrasts with monotone exterior colors. The doors felt solid and closed with a nice thud. Everything looked (and felt ) well-done except for a few minor details. The steering wheel rim felt good but the plastic on the spokes felt cheap. The silver-colored plastic door finger-pulls, rocker door lock switches, and strip across the dash dividing the upper-black part from the contrasting color below also looked and felt cheap. Other, more upmarket versions of the Sonata use carbon-fiber or wood-trim on the same strips....and around the shifter on the console area. The switchgear felt as good as in a Lexus, as did the rotary radio and climate controls. The long plastic lever on the driver's seat by the door that raised and lowered the back part of the seat looked and felt cheap. Otherwise the interior was more-or-less like that of most other Asian-designed mid-sized cars. And a nice little push-button swing-down compartment in the roof over the windshield holds your sunglasses.
On the road, the 2.4L 162 HP four was reasonably peppy, a significant improvement over previous underpowered Hyundai fours.....one of the company's former weak points. Other Sonatas have a new 3.3L 235 HP V6 that in other tests has turned a 7.0 second 0-60 time but IMO is not really needed for daily driving. Engine noise was low for a four except under moderate-to-hard acceleration....and of course I kept the RPM under 4000 as it was a brand-new car. The standard underhood insulation pad helped this out somewhat....as did smooth motor mounts that dampened out most of the vibration. The engine was almost Camry-four smooth even at idle, where some fours shake significantly. The hood, incedentally, is held up with a gas strut rather than a lousy prop rod.....a nice touch not often seen in lower-price cars. Stability control is standard on all Sonatas...again, unusual on low-priced vehicles. Obviously, Hyundai did not get its reputation for value for nothing.
The four-speed automatic.....with standard manual sport-shift mode.....generally shifted smoothly...not quite as smooth as some Lexus products I have driven, but fine for a $20,000 CAR. The four gear ratios, while of course not quite as flexible as the five in other Sonatas, seemed fairly well-suited to the engine, without either too-wide or too-narrow gaps in the torque band. The transmission was also fairly quiet but the manual shift mode had an annoying two-second-or-so delay between bumping the lever and actually shifting.
While many hard-edged "enthusiasts" would probably find the GL's ride a little soft for their tastes, for my tastes it was a good combination and a good compromise between the inherent trade-offs between ride and handling. This vehicle is not meant to be a sports car....and it cruises pretty darn nice for a mid-size family sedan. The ride is not quite Camry-smooth but beats the Accord's....and conversely the steering response betters the non-SE Camry's but is not quite as sporty-feeling as the Accord's. The steering seems to have quick response, combined with a sticky-feeling, right off-center and more normal feel as you move further off-center. Road noise from the Michelin all-season tires was pleasantly muted, especially considering the price tag. I tried the ride on several different road surfaces and, as with most cars, got a little more noise on concrete than on asphalt. Bump absorption from the Michelins and the suspension was fairly good....I tend to like a soft ride, and while this was no Town Car, it did not dissapoint.
Brakes were ultra-smooth, with not a hint of any vibration, warping, or fade.....but of course, being a new car, I didn't work them very hard. Alloy wheels are not standard on the base car but this IMO is not a problem considering the low price.....and when you look at what IS standard.

So there you have my take on it. IMO Toyota and Honda had better start waking up. When more people see what this car offers for the money in both fit-and-finish, 10/100 drivetrain and 5/60 bumper-to-bumper warranties, refinement, and overall quality for the price, they are going to be buying Sonatas. Of course, with the Camry and Accord so well-established in the marketplace, no car.....including this one.....is going to bump them off overnight. But even with a couple of oversights like the lack of a V6 / manual transmission option for enthusiasts and.......for me at least..... less-than perfect front bucket seats, this car IMO has what it takes to start firing away at King Camry and Queen Accord. Make way for Prince Sonata.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-29-05 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-29-05, 08:25 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice review! good to see what we had hoped from this car came to light.
Old 09-29-05, 09:31 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Great write-up marshall! I've been waiting for this one. Simply stated, you can't beat the value in this vehicle. If I was in the market for a reasonably priced, SAFE sedan, the Sonota would win hands down.

One suggestion for your writeup. Use more paragraph breaks; reading one chunk of text is hard on the eyes
Old 09-30-05, 02:38 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marshall...good review ..thumbs up

I think this is good daily driver type car especially for the money...
Old 09-30-05, 04:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bizzy928
One suggestion for your writeup. Use more paragraph breaks; reading one chunk of text is hard on the eyes
OK, Bizzy...I'll do that in the future.
Old 09-30-05, 04:54 AM
Bluesman2
Driver

They need to make black leather an available option........
Old 09-30-05, 11:59 AM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Fantastic write up! Thanks for the review.
Old 09-30-05, 04:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Falcon LS
Thanks. I do it for you guys.... not myself. There was enough interest in this car both in and out of CL that I felt it was worth my time to check it out and write it up. I also plan to look at the Ford Fusion....another new mid-sizer (along with its twin brothers Mercury Milan and Lincoln Zephyr) trying to get into the ring with the Camry and Accord.......and I'll report on that when it becomes available. Mike may also do a 1SICKReview on it. He checks out a lot of new cars too.....and does it well.
In the meantime, there are also good tests in various auto mags.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-30-05 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-30-05, 04:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Falcon LS
I agree, great review. I've seen quite a few of these on the road already. Kudos to Hyundai. Thanks MMarshall for your view of this car.

What cars do you think this car is superior too? Do you think its on par with teh Camry/Accord?

Old 09-30-05, 05:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

What cars do you think this car is superior too? Do you think its on par with teh Camry/Accord?
Right now I think overall it is just one small notch below the current Camry and Accord, about even overall with the Mazda 6 and the Altima, though less sporty than those two, and discounting the Altima's cheap interior. It is FAR superior to GM and Chrysler / Dodge mid-size cars like the Cirrus, Stratus, Grand AM, etc.....

There are, as you know, other new and redesigned mid-sized cars entering the marketplace ( like the Fusion) that are going to compete with the new Sonata as well as with the Accord / Camry. A new Altima is on the horizon, too. At this point, without having seen some of its new upcoming competition, it is hard to say how the new Sonata will stack up a few years from now, but as I said in my write-up, it is definitely ready to get into the ring with the existing Camry and Accord.....you could say it is King Camry, Queen Accord, and Prince Sonata right now. The only questionable things on the new 2006 Sonata are the cheap-looking silver interior trim on the base version and the untested new plant building the LX V6 versions.

But...the Camry and Accord are not standing still either, and they both will be redesigned soon. That will complicate the picture even further.......and will just give us one more subject to talk about in CAR CHAT.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-30-05 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-01-05, 06:00 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

the sonata is nice but i would much rather have a toyota camry, not just because i already have one but one a car hits 65k miles with no problems. it hard to let go. LOL

the accord had been restyled, looks better in the rear than it did before (sedan) but the front is still kinda ugly. but im sure when the 07 camry debuts, it will i dunno, topple the accord and sonata, and w/e else, especially if toyota adds a powerful engine in the SE trim
Old 11-08-05, 10:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Magazine Names Hyundai Sonata 'Best Sedan 2005 Award Winner'

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., Nov. 8, 2005 -- Sobre Ruedas magazine named the Hyundai Sonata "Best 2005 Award Winner" in the Sedan category ahead of rivals like the Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Chevrolet Impala, Chevrolet Malibu, Mitsubishi Galant, Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego, and Chrysler 300.

The all-new Sonata was designed with safety as a priority with class-leading standard safety content including, six airbags (front, seat-mounted side-impact and side curtain), active front headrests, ABS with Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD), Traction Control System (TCS), and for the first time in the mid-size sedan segment, standard Electronic Stability Control (ESC). The 2006 Hyundai Sonata features a refined, sophisticated exterior styling with a spacious, comfortable cabin with increased legroom, headroom, and shoulder room that classifies it in the government's EPA as a "large car". In addition to all that value, the all-new Sonata is protected by the Hyundai Advantage, America's Best Warranty. According to Mr. Jaime Florez, Sobre Ruedas Magazine publisher, all these factors contributed to Sonata's win as "Best Sedan 2005".

"The 2006 Sonata builds on Hyundai's commitment to safety leadership, we've set a new standard in the mid-size sedan segment by equipping it with the industry's most effective safety technologies like Electronic Stability Control and side impact airbags, achieving NHTSA's highest top 5-star ratings in frontal and side impact test conditions," said John Krafcik, vice president of strategic planning and product development for Hyundai Motor America. "Safety is an integral part of Hyundai's value story, and we're pleased that Sobre Ruedas Magazine recognized safety and Hyundai's outstanding value as important factors in naming Sonata the 'Best Sedan 2005' award winner."

Sobre Ruedas Executive Committee was responsible for generating the nominations. Their industry experts group of jurors selected the winners of the fourteen basic categories of their 2005 recognition awards. Sobre Ruedas Magazine is a leading Spanish-language magazine distributed in conjunction with the leading Spanish newspapers in the top 7 U.S. Hispanic Markets including Los Angeles, New York, Miami, Chicago, San Francisco, Houston, and Dallas.

source : theautochannel
Old 11-08-05, 10:51 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

C&D comparo (12/05):

1) Accord
2) Fusion
3) Sonata
4) Camry

Mototrend comparo (12/05):

1) Accord
2) Fusion
3) Sonata
4) Camry

It's interesting that these two car mags did the exact same four car comparo in their December issue and the rankings were exactly the same.

Anyways, the improved Sonata and Fusion are welcome additions to this segment. Man, that Accord is tough though... practically won every single comparo since it came out.

A new Camry and Altima should be on their way soon... good for the consumer.
Old 11-08-05, 11:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrock65
C&D comparo (12/05):

1) Accord
2) Fusion
3) Sonata
4) Camry

Mototrend comparo (12/05):

1) Accord
2) Fusion
3) Sonata
4) Camry

It's interesting that these two car mags did the exact same four car comparo in their December issue and the rankings were exactly the same.

Anyways, the improved Sonata and Fusion are welcome additions to this segment. Man, that Accord is tough though... practically won every single comparo since it came out.

It's obvious why auto mags like the Accord....besides its superlative build quality. The firmer underpinnings give it better handling and steering precision than some other mid-sized cars.....at the expense of ride comfort. These guys, for the most part, care little about a soft ride, even in family cars.......they want race-car handling. The Camry, of course, is just the reverse. It has excellent build quality like the Accord, but generally has softer underpinings for better ride comfort and refinement.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-08-05 at 11:32 AM.