Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche 911 thread for dummies.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-05, 05:07 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Porsche 911 thread for dummies.

So what do you guys know about the 911. I've always wanted one, but don't know much about them.
I saw an older red carrera 2 coupe on the road the other day and I found myself following him around drooling
what years are good? I only like coupes. pics are welcome.
I think the one I was admiring was an 88 or 89? It looked like this but said carrera 2 on the back and it had the electronic rear spoiler

Last edited by chuckb; 10-01-05 at 05:14 AM.
Old 10-01-05, 09:50 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the 964 model, I think they produced it from 89 to 93 or 94.
Don't know what year is best but I would allways choose the newest model I could get.
Old 10-01-05, 10:17 AM
Jay
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carrera 2/4 started 89 but more like 90 thru 94. 1989 they started it but not many of them sold. Above pics shown are 90 or 91, I believe. 92 thru 94 carreras have "oval" shape side mirrors, but the body and motors are same spec.

I had 92 Carrera 2 for few years. Very fast, due to its weight and balance.

This model was the first model to have a "center Console", instead of those old long shift stick !! hahaha...

Air cool 3.6 liter.... got a beautiful motor sound !!! BUT watch out for some "oil" leakin probs !!

Good luck
JAY
Old 10-01-05, 11:18 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not a Porsche expert but have an affection for them. Most memorable to me is the historic change from air cooled to water cooled. I think that happened with the 1998 model year. Porsch purists were up in arms, claiming the water cooled version not a real Porsche. The departure from the ovoid headlights didn't help much, either. Something had to be done. The air cooled engine just produced too much heat and there too many engine failures for the brand to continue it's popularity. I believe the purists have returned because the water cooled engine is more reliable and is being tuned to produce insane amounts of power. Now that the latest 997 has returned to the ovoid headlights, plus the popularity of the Cayenne, Porsche appears to be as booming as ever.
For me personally, I'd love own one but being a big man has it's drawbacks. I can fit in one but I feel claustrophobic in there. I haven't tried the new 997 though...maybe there's hope.
Old 10-01-05, 02:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

How much are you looking to or can afford to spend? For what a used recent-model 911 would bring, take a look at the brand-new Cayman Porsche is introducing...essentially a Boxster Coupe with a fixed roof, meaning much more structural integrity and weather protection. The Cayman's price should significantly undercut that of a new 911 or Carrera, and, of course, WAY undercut the 911 Turbo.
http://www21.porsche.com/usa/models/cayman/

Or...since you were looking at an 88-89.....is a new Cayman or Boxster also out of your price range?

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-01-05 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-01-05, 02:30 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How much are you looking to or can afford to spend? For what a used recent-model 911 would bring, take a look at the brand-new Cayman Porsche is introducing...essentially a Boxster Coupe with a fixed roof, meaning much more structural integrity and weather protection. The Cayman's price should significantly undercut that of a new 911 or Carrera, and, of course, WAY undercut the 911 Turbo.
http://www21.porsche.com/usa/models/cayman/

Or...since you were looking at an 88-89.....is a new Cayman or Boxster also out of your price range?

I was thinking a mid 80s to early 90s 911 would be an affordable "play car". I realized even those are still in the $20k range. Higher than I can spend on a "play car" right now unless I sold one of the Lexus. I'm not necessarily ready to bite the bullet yet, just starting a little research.
I think I like the look of the generation I posted on top more than the newer ones with the flat headlights.
Old 10-01-05, 03:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
I was thinking a mid 80s to early 90s 911 would be an affordable "play car". I realized even those are still in the $20k range. Higher than I can spend on a "play car" right now unless I sold one of the Lexus. I'm not necessarily ready to bite the bullet yet, just starting a little research.
I think I like the look of the generation I posted on top more than the newer ones with the flat headlights.

OK.......I agree. For the mid-20's you can forget a new Cayman or Boxster. I also agree with you about the upright headlights on the older 911's being better-looking.....but less aerodynamic.

The older 911's you are looking at all pretty much all have air-cooled engines.....which have advantages and disadvantages. It's nice not to have to worry about anti-freeze, radiator maintenance, water pumps, hoses, unscrewing a hot radiator cap, freeze-over in the winter or boil-over in the summer, etc..... but on the other hand, air-cooled engines are loud and they are notorious for SLOW warm-ups in the winter and a long wait to get any heat in the cabin. They also don't do as well in emissions tests as liquid-cooled engines because with air-cooling it is more difficult to get even combustion temperatures in each cylinder......this is one of the reasons why Porsche dumped air-cooling in the mid-to-late 1990's. Of course, if your state or locality does not have emissions testing, that is not an issue with you.

Anyhow...good luck in your search. Let us know how it comes out.
Old 10-01-05, 04:23 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a 1998 water cooled 911, you can get one for 30k. Better to wait if you value reliability, a Porsche isn't a cheap vehicle to fix.
Old 10-02-05, 08:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by chuckb
So what do you guys know about the 911. I've always wanted one, but don't know much about them.
I saw an older red carrera 2 coupe on the road the other day and I found myself following him around drooling
what years are good? I only like coupes. pics are welcome.
I think the one I was admiring was an 88 or 89? It looked like this but said carrera 2 on the back and it had the electronic rear spoiler

I am not sure where to start. What years are good? I would say all. Late 70s/early 80s maybe the least desirable, due to ugly bumper guidlines, not much $$$ invested and power sapping govt regulations.

May I suggest a 3.8 964? Very rare, 18" speelines, turbo brakes, just a beast.

Old 10-02-05, 09:41 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

The 60's through mid 80's air cooled 911's had issues with the gaskets in the engines, specifically oil related, but otherwise also. anything after 1990 is revised to be "as good as it can be" on maintenance. Don't think that is a comfort zone however

visit www.rennlist.com