Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which black paint do you like the best?
Lexus
31.25%
Infiniti
6.25%
Acura
3.13%
Mercedes-Benz
28.13%
BMW
34.38%
Audi
9.38%
Jaguar
25.00%
Cadillac
3.13%
Lincoln
6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Who has the best black?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-05, 04:07 PM
Final Word
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has the best black?

I been looking at different models and makes lately and trying to figure out which company puts out the best looking black car. I think I have made up my mind on who I think is the best, but I wanted to get everyone else's opinion.

of this list, whose black paint do you like the best?
how would you rank them in order from best to worst?

Lexus
Infiniti
Acura
Mercedes-Benz
BMW
Audi
Jaguar
Cadillac
Lincoln

edit: you can select more than one make in the poll, if you can't decide on just one.

Last edited by Final Word; 10-02-05 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-02-05, 05:23 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

i like lexue black of course b/c my car is black,but i also like the bmw black
Old 10-02-05, 05:33 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love BMW's "Black Sapphire Metallic"
Old 10-02-05, 05:53 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe it's because of all the chrome accents, or maybe because the cars are more curvacious and bulbous -- Jaguars in black are very sleek and sexy. You can see the cars' definition and body lines through its shine. It almost becomes like a limo...

Lexus on the other hand creates beautiful colors that are black at night, but another dark color by day. Think of the Twilight Amethyst Pearl, Blue Onyx Mica, or Cypress Pearl. Also, you gotta love the new Black Diamond color of the ES Special Edition.

Old 10-02-05, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Final Word
I
of this list, whose black paint do you like the best?
how would you rank them in order from best to worst?

Lexus
Infiniti
Acura
Mercedes-Benz
BMW
Audi
Jaguar
Cadillac
Lincoln

Best? As far as the color itself goes, black is black...I mean, there are really no different shades of pure black per se. Now...as far as the quality of the paint job itself, there are noticible differences from one manufacturer to the next. Among the companies on this list and the general QUALITY of their paint jobs, I would rate it Audi, M-B, Lexus, Acura, BMW, Jaguar, Infiniti, Cadillac, and Lincoln....in that order.
However, individual cars can vary, too. The new 2006 Lexus GS and the Cadillac STS, IMO, both have superb paintwork.......better than the rest of their respective lines.
Old 10-02-05, 06:05 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

i think that since lexus is more luxury oriented than sport, black looks best in all their cars especially in the LS,ES,GS,RX,GX, but lighter shades will i think go better with the SC,LX,and IS. red is a very sporty color for the SC and IS. the LX i think should just stick to lighter shades, not saying i dont think a black LX is attractive, but if i had a choice i'll pick gold or white
Old 10-02-05, 07:35 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Best? As far as the color itself goes, black is black...I mean, there are really no different shades of pure black per se.
Sort of....
I think maybe he means who takes black to the next level. Anyone can do a Jet Black, but the Sapphire Black and Carbon Black of BMW really take it to the next level IMHO.
Old 10-02-05, 08:06 PM
Final Word
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by doug_999
Sort of....
I think maybe he means who takes black to the next level. Anyone can do a Jet Black, but the Sapphire Black and Carbon Black of BMW really take it to the next level IMHO.
Basically, i mean, who has the best black paint job. The glossiest, most durable, best looking out there. Personally, whenever I see a black Audi on the road, it always catches my eye. Audi's black paint job seems to be the best out there right now. I completely agree with mmmarshall's list in order. I think Audi, followed very closely by MB and Lexus have the best looking black cars.
Old 10-02-05, 08:21 PM
LexFather

Benz offeres so many custom blacks, the designo series for example. They get my vote.

Old 10-02-05, 09:39 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

202 Black Onyx owns ALL Ok so maybe I'm a lil biased here

I've liked the BMW Black metallic (I forgot the name of it, my neighbour has it on his 3-Series) but the black used on Lexus product always makes me double look lol
Old 10-02-05, 11:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

While the Benz is definately on the top of the list, Jaguar paint has long been the standard to beat. IMO Jag still owns the black.
Old 10-03-05, 01:01 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aww no bentley black or phantomn black? boooo!!!!
Old 10-03-05, 09:21 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Best? As far as the color itself goes, black is black...I mean, there are really no different shades of pure black per se. Now...as far as the quality of the paint job itself, there are noticible differences from one manufacturer to the next. Among the companies on this list and the general QUALITY of their paint jobs, I would rate it Audi, M-B, Lexus, Acura, BMW, Jaguar, Infiniti, Cadillac, and Lincoln....in that order.
However, individual cars can vary, too. The new 2006 Lexus GS and the Cadillac STS, IMO, both have superb paintwork.......better than the rest of their respective lines.
I have a black SL55 that is typically parked next to my wife's LS 430. The Lexus black is much more black than the MB black. The MB black has a brownish tint to it compared to the Lexus. However the lower body panels on the Lexus are even more black than the upper part of the car. It is too bad that they couldn't match the color better. Some one said the reason for it is that there is a flex additive in the paint that goes on the plastic panels (I already knew that). My response to that is I don't care if there is peanut butter and jelly in the paint---- it should match the rest of the car. For that reason I will put Lexus at close to the bottom.
Old 10-03-05, 09:23 AM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Jag leads in quality paint by far, but i just cant help but to drool over a waxed black bmw