Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Breaking News: TOYOTA BUYS GM'S STAKE IN SUBARU! (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-05, 12:07 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I'm with you. And now with Toyota's powerful presence, the Subaru lineage will just grow. Lets get rid of that B9 Tribeca first.
Without realizing that soobie came out with the tribeca, I thought "Wow, alfa romeo came out with an suv?" That's when I saw the pittsburgh steelers look alike emblems

The interior is pretty nice though

Now how about Toyota buying some of MB/BMW/Porsche's power and handling?
Old 10-05-05, 12:08 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no need for toyota to make a new rally car, just buy the company making some of the best
Old 10-05-05, 01:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow what a big news for toyota. i fee l very bad and sad for gm
Old 10-05-05, 01:48 PM
saleem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Skulinex
Next thing we know.. toyota supra awd rally car
MKV SUPARU hahhahahhaha
Old 10-05-05, 01:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Without realizing that soobie came out with the tribeca, I thought "Wow, alfa romeo came out with an suv?" That's when I saw the pittsburgh steelers look alike emblems

:
Subaru's new head stylist came.......not surprisingly.......from Alfa Romeo. He obviously brought one of Alfa's traditions with him. Fortunately, he did not bring Alfa unreliability with him also.
Old 10-05-05, 05:17 PM
Bercasio
Pole Position

Betcha' when this news landed in the lap of the Audi group, wasting no time they are now back to the drawing board to make sure that Toyota does not dominate the AWD system, which I have a feeling they most like are!
Old 10-05-05, 07:50 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

yay! this is going to be interesting...
Old 10-05-05, 09:11 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bercasio
Betcha' when this news landed in the lap of the Audi group, wasting no time they are now back to the drawing board to make sure that Toyota does not dominate the AWD system, which I have a feeling they most like are!
quattro is all marketing. People seem to swear by MB's 4matic.

Maybe someone will rescue Mitsubishi?
Old 10-05-05, 11:50 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isn't Mitsubishi getting slight rescue efforts from Daimler?

they're releasing a redressed Dakota as a Marauder i think?
Old 10-06-05, 03:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is stuck, this is very big news. If GM can make all that crap with a 8.7% share, Toyota and Suburu can do some wonderul things now.

Wow, and Toyota could learn tons on their AWD systems, especially since they are offering it more.

This is a GREAT collaboration. I think MMarshall asked for it in the "what merger do u wish for" thread I started a couple months ago.

GREAT NEWS. Thanks Magneto
Yes, Mike....I agree. This has the makings to become perhaps the best automotive organization in the world.

The only possible snag I can see for for Toyota is that the Subaru AWD products could take some sales away from Toyota's own AWD Matrix, RAV4, and Highlander series.......but of course that is happening now, and Toyota would still get the profits either way. If Subaru becomes a Toyota division, the flip side to that, of course, is that Toyota can get out of the car-based AWD buisness altogether ( except for Lexus) and leave that that to Subaru's already-excellent systems....the best in the under-$35,000 category.

Speaking of the Matrix, rumor is that it will be transferred to the Scion division, ( where it probably should have been in the first place ) and, of course, with the Impreza Sportwagon now in-house, Toyota could drop the AWD version of the Matrix, which, of course, would affect Pontiac's Vibe as well. I, personally, though, would not want to see the Vibe / Matrix AWD go.....it was one of the main choices on the thread I did last week on good inexpensive AWD cars.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180769

Granted, much of this is just speculation on my part, but we'll see what happens.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-06-05 at 03:53 AM.
Old 10-06-05, 06:25 AM
LexFather

I am very, very happy about this move. Honestly. This can ONLY make both carmakers better and make consumer happy. The incredible thing is, currently, Toyota AND Suburu are already on top of they're game right now.

This is GREAT news. I am even more of a Suburu enthusiast now (time to read up on the Scoobies!!!)

Old 10-06-05, 08:55 AM
Bercasio
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Incendiary
quattro is all marketing. People seem to swear by MB's 4matic.

Maybe someone will rescue Mitsubishi?
all marketing or not, it is causing some ripples in the water for all who is involved in "AWD"
Old 10-06-05, 09:30 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default My opinion!!!

Okay time for my opinion.

I believe this is a great move on Toyotas part by purchasing the small percentage that GM owned. However It was also a great move on GM's part by getting rid of them(GM desperately needs the cash). They have so many other brands that they need to focus on(i.e. Saab, Buick, Saturn, and now HUMMER cause of gas prices) and the little controlling power they had over Subaru would have been stupid for them to keep(we might see Suzuki/Isuzu fall to the same fate). Subaru really wasnt getting much in return from GM besides funding and other business stuff. Instead Subaru was using their products to help GM(9-2x and the now dead 9-6x). Not god business if you ask me. Unfortunately, I dont think GM knew what to do with Subaru and how to make them a stronger brand and vice versa. Now hopefully a good portion of the money that GM recieved with this deal is used to help the UAW members which is truely hurting the company.

Now that Toyota has a stake, and usually knows what to do with smaller brands, Subaru has an even greater outlook for the future. Toyota can pump maybe even more money into Subaru for their Research and Development, and possibly expand Subaru's lineup.

Reasons why this is great for Toyota/Subaru:

1. You can bet your *** that there will be MANY more Subaru dealerships in the USA. Subaru dealership base is rather small here, or shall I say LACKING. There is only one in Central Jersey that spans probably a 50mile radius. Not good at all. Within 12miles I have a choice of 6 different Toyota outlets.

2. Doesnt Subaru have a large state of the art factory in the USA?? I believe they do. Guess what. Toyota wants to quickly expand production in the US and they QUICKLY got it. Subaru producting will probably increase as well.

3. Subaru is gonig to utilize Toyotas know how in development, quality control, and many other methods that Toyota uses. KAIZEN!!!!

4. While I dont think Subaru's AWD system will benefit Toyota all that much, they will get some know how from them. Probably for the trucks only as they dont want to oversaturate the market with AWD sedans.(they would just be sharing profits and not creating more profit) Will Subaru's AWD system even be compatible with Toyota's platforms?? They use totally different setups. If Toyota seriously wants it, then I assume a lot of development will be needed.

5. I can see Toyota using Subaru turbos in the future, but I'm not holding my breath. Toyota's been consistantly shutting down Turbos in its previous lineup and they probably wont be making a return anytime soon. I'm not keeping my hopes up for a AWD Turbo Corolla.

6. I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet. Did everyone forget about HYBRIDS??? We've heard rumors of Subaru/Fuji teaming up with Toyota to produce hybrid vehicles. It's now easier for Subaru to develop and put out a hybrid vehicle. Something that they've been trying to do for sometime now. And if I'm not mistaken, doesnt Fuji produce Lithium-Ion batteries or have some sort of know how in that field?? Or am I thinking of another company?? But if that is true, Toyota has a in house company that develops batteries for all future Toyota/Lexus and hopefully Subaru products in the near future. Get ready for a massive change in the way we see hybrids.

7. HELLO Subaru V6's and possibly V8's!!!!!! I havent driven Subarus V6 cars(maybe Marshall knows a lot more), but to me they seem to be lacking compared to the competition. Or its just that the Turbos really outshine the N/A engines.

Hybrids to me is probably the MAIN reason why Toyota wanted Subaru
Old 10-06-05, 10:05 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got to hand it to you guys... some of the predictions made in this thread are about as exciting as the news itself. It looks like we're about to be in for a very interesting 2006 in the automotive world.
Old 10-06-05, 03:49 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

You guys make it sound like Toyota's got a major share and will be running day-to-day operations. Maybe I read it too quickly, but don't they only have like an 8.5% share if the purchase goes through?

Quick Reply: Breaking News: TOYOTA BUYS GM'S STAKE IN SUBARU! (merged threads)