Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

why is this??? (member muses why no Lexus version of AMG)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-05, 11:22 AM
AgentWD-40
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that performance models would augment Lexus' image quite nicely. I value the attention to detail and quality of the Lexus brand, but I also value performance. Now if they can meld those that would be the perfect car. They are starting to do this with the IS and GS, but they could still take it a bit further. I'm not really for all out luxury, I would much rather give up some ride for better performance.

A AMG style Lexus would be the perfect car IMO! It would be the best of everything.
Old 10-06-05, 12:15 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not quite, bit......Lincoln is still out of the game, too.
Ford's got the SVT models and the Jaguar R models to do just that. That's plenty for the company already.
Old 10-06-05, 12:17 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Ford's got the SVT models and the Jaguar R models to do just that. That's plenty for the company already.
SVT isn't producing any models right now. The Ford Explorer SPORTTRAC is tuned by SVT but isn't badged with SVT.
Old 10-06-05, 12:25 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
SVT isn't producing any models right now. The Ford Explorer SPORTTRAC is tuned by SVT but isn't badged with SVT.
True, but that doesn't mean the SVT team isn't in the game anymore. The Shelby Cobra GT500 is coming soon for example.
Old 10-06-05, 12:52 PM
Bercasio
Pole Position

For the people who think that Lexus is all about overall quality and reliability, it is very true, but to say that this is all they should do, well don't you think that is quite limited? In order to have "the true high performing auto" it was best for Toyota to go this route 1st and dominate the whole segment of "driving quality". And they proved their movement. Now we are in a century that is all about fuel cells, hydrogen, and also hybrid performance. So Toyota takes in patiently with Hybrid and now will perfect it (which right around the corner)by creating "Mass Power" without the need of excesive gas consumption. As for Lexus not having a so called "AMG" or "M" serires...you may have to think twice on that. And it won't ruin' the image of Toyota/Lexus whether or not it's "in your face" type of car. It's their innovation at best.
Old 10-06-05, 01:24 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Toyota/Lexus as a company has traditionally been pretty conservative. I think the success of the Scion brand is beginning to open up doors for more aggressive Toyota/Lexus offerings in the near future.

I do know that Lexus is waiting to see how successful the new IS350 is- this will play a key role in determining whether or not a future sport-type model will be offered.

There will be alternatives long before then...
Old 10-06-05, 03:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Yes...if you want to bring that up you can also include the owned-by-Ford Volvo R model sports sedans, too. In my post, though, I was referring to bitkahuna's listing of luxury-car nameplates that had or didn't have performance divisions.
Old 10-06-05, 03:46 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Toyota/Lexus as a company has traditionally been pretty conservative. I think the success of the Scion brand is beginning to open up doors for more aggressive Toyota/Lexus offerings in the near future.

I do know that Lexus is waiting to see how successful the new IS350 is- this will play a key role in determining whether or not a future sport-type model will be offered.

There will be alternatives long before then...
Too bad they neutered that dog before sending it to the streets. If they're looking to see whether it'll be worthy of spawning potent offspring, they shouldn't have been so quick with the knife.
Old 10-06-05, 03:47 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes...if you want to bring that up you can also include the owned-by-Ford Volvo R model sports sedans, too. In my post, though, I was referring to bitkahuna's listing of luxury-car nameplates that had or didn't have performance divisions.
Might as well mention Saab then.
Old 10-06-05, 04:46 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

True, Saab's Viggen and Aero models are simply stepped-up trim lines.

I don't really think Acura is in this game either. The ITR (and Japan-only NSX-R) definitely was, and the Type-S cars could have been had they taken them to the extreme (but it seems the automatic trannies had enough trouble with the torque they were already taking). But the A-Spec is nothing, and I do mean NOTHING, more than L-Tuned was--tighter suspension, bigger wheels, more aggressive cladding... they don't even upgrade the exhaust!
Old 10-06-05, 04:54 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota, Nissan, and Honda have not shown any real interest in M or AMG level of customization. I maintain that with the finally really escalating gas price in the US, 400 hp cars are going to seem unjustified, let alone 5 or 600hp. Those types of cars will always be available but I don't think Lexus is missing a lot by not producing them, even in laughably small numbers. I believe there is an insignificant chance that we will be looking back on this time in about five years as the good ol' times of cheap hp.

I have been around cars for a long time and for those who feel that a marque needs this miniscule percentage of high performance packages should post the name and address of the last person they know who bought an Impala because they were looking at a Z06.
Old 10-06-05, 06:01 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RON430
Toyota, Nissan, and Honda have not shown any real interest in M or AMG level of customization. I maintain that with the finally really escalating gas price in the US, 400 hp cars are going to seem unjustified, let alone 5 or 600hp. Those types of cars will always be available but I don't think Lexus is missing a lot by not producing them, even in laughably small numbers. I believe there is an insignificant chance that we will be looking back on this time in about five years as the good ol' times of cheap hp.

I have been around cars for a long time and for those who feel that a marque needs this miniscule percentage of high performance packages should post the name and address of the last person they know who bought an Impala because they were looking at a Z06.
For that matter, why participate in motorsports or F1 or NASCAR? I'm not going to rush out and buy a Lexus because Chuck Goldborough can smoke tires in a flaming orange IS.
Old 10-06-05, 06:18 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Incendiary
For that matter, why participate in motorsports or F1 or NASCAR? I'm not going to rush out and buy a Lexus because Chuck Goldborough can smoke tires in a flaming orange IS.
You know, I don't mind guys that do but I have bought a lot of cars over a lot of years and I know a lot of other people who have bought a lot of cars yadadada.... But this connection between a prestige model or brand rubbing off on the volume cars is just getting harder to swallow. The people I have known who have bought Ms, don't know anyone who set off to get an AMG, knew very specifically what they wanted and they were not interested in anything else.

I have no inside info and maybe Lexus will come up with a set of tuner models. And obviously, this topic has been already discussed in many other threads. And just as obviously, Lexus hasn't shown any interest in doing it. With gas prices pumping themselves up, it is hard to see Lexus getting too interested in five or six hundred hp. The only real cross brand shopping I did years ago with my wife that got into a comparo was a Camry, Accord, Maxima evaluation. The Toyota was not then, nor do I believe they are now, the sportiest of the three. It just didn't seem that Toyota was interested. That is not meant to run down Toyota because as we all know, what they do , they do very well. But I am not sure they have interest in or need an in house tuner brand.

Now when Mikey Waltrip wins Daytona in his Solara, yeeha, I'm on my way to the dealership to get me one of them Talladega package Solaras.
Old 10-07-05, 12:03 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
True, Saab's Viggen and Aero models are simply stepped-up trim lines.

I don't really think Acura is in this game either. The ITR (and Japan-only NSX-R) definitely was, and the Type-S cars could have been had they taken them to the extreme (but it seems the automatic trannies had enough trouble with the torque they were already taking). But the A-Spec is nothing, and I do mean NOTHING, more than L-Tuned was--tighter suspension, bigger wheels, more aggressive cladding... they don't even upgrade the exhaust!
For the last few years Honda did seem to back away from the real tuner cars, but the ITR and NSX-R IMHO really were at the M type level. I think with the comeback of the new Civic Si there is hope that Honda will start coming out with good tuner cars again. I agree though the Type S was only a half attempt, and the A-Spec really is nothing more than cosmetic. What I look at is if the M or AMG or Type R car varient is clearly a step above the standard model and the NSX-R, ITR, and new Civic Si are/were clearly that. Since the NSX-R and ITR are dead, that just leaves the Civic Si, but at least that leaves some hope that Honda will continue in the game.