Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

why is this??? (member muses why no Lexus version of AMG)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-05, 07:26 PM
biglexass
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is this??? (member muses why no Lexus version of AMG)

i was thinking after a benz passed me(why does lexus not have a preformace name like amg,or the m seires ????)i think l-type or l-series would sound really.post your thoughts
Old 10-05-05, 07:35 PM
Luxury_LEX
Driver

Old 10-05-05, 08:08 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxury_LEX

thumbs down to the made up name, or the possibility of a performance line??

I dunno bout you but I will more than gladly take a high performance Lexus any day of the week. We've seen many spy shots and heard more than enough rumors, lets just hope all is true and we get what most of us been wishing for.
Old 10-05-05, 08:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Lexus and Infniiti are the only brands not doing it. Even Cadillac's in the game.

Some may think it's a gimmick, but these performance vehicles prove out a lot of features that end up migrating in less potent forms to regular models which I think is great.

I'd LOVE to have an SL55.
Old 10-05-05, 09:16 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

MB overdoes it. BMW is in danger of following suit.
Old 10-05-05, 09:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well hopefully we will see it in the coming 2 yrs
Old 10-05-05, 09:44 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iono...

the reason why i like MB's AMG line is because it's so overly vulgar and in your face.

it screams--i've got power and you don't. :P i love that. especially with the noise the AMG55 Kompressor engines make. i pause my CD if one of them pulls up next to my car so i can hear the engine noise as it pulls away.

( a boom in SLs here lately in Toyota HQ town)
Old 10-06-05, 01:09 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181451
Old 10-06-05, 04:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Lexus and Infniiti are the only brands not doing it. Even Cadillac's in the game.

Not quite, bit......Lincoln is still out of the game, too.
Old 10-06-05, 04:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Absloutely. I agree 100% Lexus does not have to put insane amounts of HP / Torque into their cars to sell them. In fact, the money that Lexus does not spend on HP is evident in their first-rate quality control and enginering. And...even so, the latest generation of Lexus products have a pretty good dose of it in the power-to-weight ratio......particularly the new 306 HP IS350, though, like with the original 2001 IS, I agree the lack of a IS350 manual transmission is a mistake.
Old 10-06-05, 06:21 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe Lexus will do it and I will be wrong, but I just don't see them doing it, and they don't have to.

Because everyone else does you have to?

Germans are dropping 600hp engines in.

Lexus is doing hybrids.....

You go look at sales and profits numbers then go tell Toyota they are doing something wrong........................
Old 10-06-05, 08:41 AM
Bercasio
Pole Position

Lexus may not come out with a bi-turbo or supercharger....but I can definitely see them come out with a "Hybrid-GT" series. Toyota can make crazy amounts of horse power(especially in the existing engines today), but they choose not too. Makes me wonder how much "de-tuned" these Toyota/Lexus engines really are... ......besides it is only a matter of time.
Old 10-06-05, 09:57 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Incendiary
For some odd reason even with the Europeans overwhelming desire to tax gasoline to fund their spending, this seems to be a far more European whim than anything. Bimmer, merc, audi, jag, et. al. all have closely associated tuner models. And while there may be suspension updates, it is inevitably the mega hp that gets noticed. So Toyota, Nissan, and Honda have not played this game very much. Big deal. Let's be honest, l-tuned was a joke compared to M or AMG. The amount of sales to be gained, other than Lindsey Lohan's desire to keep AMG monthly sales up and her face in the press by running down civilians in her getaway attempts from paparazi in the "see and be seen" areas of LA , is small. Prestige? Not that much to anyone who is no longer about getting detention. Bimmer and merc have their recognition through their main brands, not M or AMG. At least to the vast majority of people, especially to those that buy these things instead of sketching them in study hall.

Watch the press. If gasoline prices fall because of consumers changing their habits, get ready for high hp to not be much of an advertising draw. There will always be a segment of the population that can afford to buy whatever toy they want. But Toyota tends to look at a bigger sales picture. Lexus certainly has. Bimmer and merc truly hate the widely held impression that when someone sees a Lexus in a driveway, it sends an image of a smart, well to do buyer. You can argue with that if you want but this is the widely held image that is believed to be associated with the Lexus marque. Bimmer and merc would love to have that image but they are their own worst enemies in this regard. With the exception of a few posts in other threads, I doubt Lindsey Lohan is making a lot of sales for AMG or merc driving 600hp SLs into minivans in LA, with or without a getaway attempt from the paparazzi that she craves.

If Toyota, Nissan, and Honda decided to play mindless hp escalation does anyone doubt they could do it? If there is one last point, it would be that if you are going to step up to playing with M or AMG, do it right. L-tuned was a joke if it was meant to compete with M or AMG. You will do more harm than good with a wannabe chrome wheel package with maybe a sway bar or two if you are trying to get the M and AMG buyer. Toyota sells cars in large numbers and that alone reduces their ability to ever make an M or AMG model. Limited volumes go with those models to keep prices high. I would hope Toyota spends their resources on their volume brands instead of descending to the automotive depths like GM with Cadillac. Does anyone figure the Caddy Vs are going to solve GMs problems?
Old 10-06-05, 10:17 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

I'd have to agree with prior opinions that they don't do it because they don't "need" to do it. A lot of what comprises BMW's and MBZ's images is their reliance on their "motorsports" models. Lexus' image rests in their attention to detail and unrivaled quality. Building an obscenely powerful super-sedan would basically contradict the image they've spent the last 15 years perfecting. However, with recent prototypes and testing mules it seems that Lexus will have more to offer the performance hungry in the coming years. Regardless, I don't think we'll ever see anything quite as "in your face" as the German rivals.
Old 10-06-05, 10:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RON430
a doubt Lindsey Lohan is making a lot of sales for AMG or merc driving 600hp SLs into minivans in LA, with or without a getaway attempt from the paparazzi that she craves.
She is certainly showing off M-B's safety features....probably the one thing that the company does best, along with Volvo.

Quick Reply: why is this??? (member muses why no Lexus version of AMG)