Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kelley Blue Book Best Resale Value Award Winners

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-05, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bmgs400
??? Whatever. KBB is only used by dealers I believe to determine how much they want you to spend. I.
No....I use it myself quite often ( along with NADA ) to help people get a rough, if not exact, idea of what their used vehicles are worth when it comes time to go shopping for a new one. Many things, of course, determine just how much a dealership will give you on a trade-in or what a private party buyer will pay, but KBB, NADA, and other sources give you at least a rough estimate...it's better than nothing. I have found KB to be a fairly good indicator of trade-in value...especially if your used car is is great shape, but a little less reliable for private-party buyers, who often face money and credit problems that dealerships don't when you trade.

And, fortunately, you don't have to screw around anymore with those little blue-and-yellow books, paper-and-pencil, and calculators, adding and subtracting high and low-mileage, filpping pages back and forth, hunting up categories, etc..... That was a pain in the a - -.

Everything is programmed into the websites for you...all you do is punch a few clicks of the mouse and you have your figures.

http://www.nadaguides.com/autohome2....wPr=0&wPg=2111

http://www.kbb.com/

Just copy these and add them to your "favorites" list....you'll have them handy.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-07-05 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-07-05, 07:37 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised to see the BMW 5 series. Maybe this current bodystyle is holding down the fort.

I bought my GS4 for $22g's (book value then) more than a year ago, when I could have had a same year 540i, fully loaded, same mileage, more selection, for $18-19g's.
Old 10-07-05, 08:06 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GStateOM
I'm surprised to see the BMW 5 series. Maybe this current bodystyle is holding down the fort.

I bought my GS4 for $22g's (book value then) more than a year ago, when I could have had a same year 540i, fully loaded, same mileage, more selection, for $18-19g's.
Weird. What year? When I got rid of my 2000 540ia in late 2002, the 540s were commanding 3-4K more than the GSs.

Either way, the resale values are calculated by the residuals that the automakers assign to them. The Infiniti M45 has a killer number right now (61% after 3 years - last time I checked) and even a 2005 545 had 59% as of last month. Lexus has knocked down the residual on the new GS for some reason however. But my point is that these numbers come from the auto manufacturers and they must have crystal *****
Old 10-07-05, 08:25 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by doug_999

Either way, the resale values are calculated by the residuals that the automakers assign to them. The Infiniti M45 has a killer number right now (61% after 3 years - last time I checked) and even a 2005 545 had 59% as of last month. Lexus has knocked down the residual on the new GS for some reason however. But my point is that these numbers come from the auto manufacturers and they must have crystal *****
Not correct. Projected resale is calculated using third-party residual values. They do not use manufacturer residuals, which are almost always higher that third-party residuals in order to entice buyers to lease.
Old 10-08-05, 12:13 AM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was 98-99 540i's and 98-99 GS400's. For example, during the last month that I was looking for the car, I found about 5 GS400's for sale within 30 miles and almost 3x that of 540i's within the same area. I was looking for lower mileage cars (65k or below) and of that selection, the GS4's seemed to be $2-3k more. On another note, the E430's were around the same price as the GS4.

I guess this might have to do with quantities too. The 5 Series sells at a higher rate and there are more on the road which means there would probably be more selection in the used car market. While the GS400 sells less, and a car like the M45 is even more scarce.
Old 10-08-05, 07:02 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrock65
Not correct. Projected resale is calculated using third-party residual values. They do not use manufacturer residuals, which are almost always higher that third-party residuals in order to entice buyers to lease.
and I wonder where the 3rd parties get their starting numbers from?
Old 10-08-05, 08:05 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I would have to question the Infiniti M45 being on that list unless they are referring to the new one being introduced last fall, which has gotten a lot of good press. The old M45, like big brother Q45, sat on dealer lots and did little else beside collect dust and bird droppings....in spite of the fact that it shared big brother's 340 HP V8 and a fairly sporty chassis in a lighter, more trim package. Perhaps it was due to the fact that its styling was rather boxy.....though I like those kind of lines myself, apparantly many people didn't. And......cars that are not popular when new are usually not very popular used either, and not worth very much.....which, as I said, would make it surprising if KBB was referring to the old M45.
I also have to question the M45 being there. The car just came out. There is no track record yet. where do they get this info? This invalidates the entire listing imo.
Old 10-08-05, 09:53 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by doug_999
and I wonder where the 3rd parties get their starting numbers from?
Third parties (ALG is one example) calculate their own figures. They don't get their "starting" residual figures from the manufacturers.