Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 2006 E320 CDI Diesel 780 Miles. 1 Tank. You Do the Math

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-05, 06:04 PM
LexFather

Thumbs up The 2006 E320 CDI Diesel 780 Miles. 1 Tank. You Do the Math

EPA estimate of 27 mpg in the city and 37 mpg on the highway. Compare the estimated mpg to the estimated mpg of other vehicles. You may get different mileage depending on how fast you drive, weather conditions, and trip length. Your actual highway mileage will be less. Maximum highway driving range based on 21.1-gallon fuel tank capacity. The E320 CDI Sedan does not meet emissions requirements for California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, or Vermont, and is not available in these states. See dealer for details.

http://www.mbusa.com/campaigns/e320cdi/index.jsp

Old 10-08-05, 06:11 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Outstanding car!!! I actually have seen quite a few of them in New Jersey and a few in Philly. The pick up this car has is amazing. 201hp.............. but oh my god!! 369lbft tq??!!!! WHOA!!!! Doesnt have that old school diesel sound, it sounds quite smooth. I like it a lot. With gas prices the way they are now, diesel engines are definitely a legitamate option for me.

Adidosc and I had a ncie long convo about diesels the other day on AIM. He knows a few people that get unreal mileage in the VW Passat TDI.

Heh, sorry to put you out on blast like that, but I thought I might throw that in there. Its a great alternative, even to hybrids.
Old 10-08-05, 06:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by magneto112
Outstanding car!!! I actually have seen quite a few of them in New Jersey and a few in Philly. The pick up this car has is amazing. 201hp.............. but oh my god!! 369lbft tq??!!!! WHOA!!!! Doesnt have that old school diesel sound, it sounds quite smooth. I like it a lot. With gas prices the way they are now, diesel engines are definitely a legitamate option for me.

Adidosc and I had a ncie long convo about diesels the other day on AIM. He knows a few people that get unreal mileage in the VW Passat TDI.

Heh, sorry to put you out on blast like that, but I thought I might throw that in there. Its a great alternative, even to hybrids.
Yeah, this is a great car and kudos to Mercedes to bringing it back here again. Its great to see car makers like Benz and Lexus giving consumers higher fuel economy options. I wish the rest would follow.

Old 10-08-05, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I've said many times......both here on CL and elsewhere.......that IMO diesels make more sense than hybrids. They offer comparable mileage with much less complexity and are much less difficult to build. Today's diesels are not junk....gone are the days of no-start-below-freezing, pock-pock-pock can-of-marbles idle, water or ice all over the place in the fuel systems, long waits for glow-plug starts, and snail-like acceleration. Today's diesels have TORQUE...lots of it, especially at very low speeds. The only real fly in the ointment has been solid-particulate emissions ( in other words, soot ) , making them illegal to be sold in some states, but engineers are working on that problem with new urea-injection systems...and the debut here next fall ( by EPA mandate) of European-style low-sulfur diesel fuel will help tremendously.
Old 10-09-05, 12:43 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've said many times......both here on CL and elsewhere.......that IMO diesels make more sense than hybrids. They offer comparable mileage with much less complexity and are much less difficult to build. Today's diesels are not junk....gone are the days of no-start-below-freezing, pock-pock-pock can-of-marbles idle, water or ice all over the place in the fuel systems, long waits for glow-plug starts, and snail-like acceleration. Today's diesels have TORQUE...lots of it, especially at very low speeds. The only real fly in the ointment has been solid-particulate emissions ( in other words, soot ) , making them illegal to be sold in some states, but engineers are working on that problem with new urea-injection systems...and the debut here next fall ( by EPA mandate) of European-style low-sulfur diesel fuel will help tremendously.
I think hybrids offer better tq than diesels, and since hybrids can be matted to diesels, its just a matter of time till we get them here
Old 10-09-05, 07:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
I think hybrids offer better tq than diesels, and since hybrids can be matted to diesels, its just a matter of time till we get them here
I think diesel engines are more polluting (even new ones) than gasoline ones so I doubt you'll see a diesel hybrid.

I wonder what environmentalists think of diesels - must send them into a tizzy - uses less gas but pollutes more.
Old 10-09-05, 10:25 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think diesel engines are more polluting (even new ones) than gasoline ones so I doubt you'll see a diesel hybrid.

I wonder what environmentalists think of diesels - must send them into a tizzy - uses less gas but pollutes more.
In case of the Euro Accord (TSX) the diesel is cleaner than the gas car!

BTW, low sulphur diesel availability is supposed to be 6/1/06.
Old 10-09-05, 01:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

On an episode of Top Gear Jeremy Clarkson drove a 8 cylinder diesel Audi A8 800 miles on a single tank . He drove 400 miles to a destination and 400 back to the same gas station. He was able to do this by avoiding braking as much as possible and not using any HVAC or any power options although he did have to defrost the windows at one point and was caught in a traffic jam. The cars computer said he was out of gas like 15 or 20 miles from his final destination but somehow the cars engine did not stop and kept going. I am pretty sure he said 800 miles but being in Europe it might have been kilometers. That is amazing for a car as large and heavy as an Audi A8.
Old 10-09-05, 01:36 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDel
On an episode of Top Gear Jeremy Clarkson drove a 8 cylinder diesel Audi A8 800 miles on a single tank . He drove 400 miles to a destination and 400 back to the same gas station. He was able to do this by avoiding braking as much as possible and not using any HVAC or any power options although he did have to defrost the windows at one point and was caught in a traffic jam. The cars computer said he was out of gas like 15 or 20 miles from his final destination but somehow the cars engine did not stop and kept going. I am pretty sure he said 800 miles but being in Europe it might have been kilometers. That is amazing for a car as large and heavy as an Audi A8.
bah. i drove my girlfriend's mom's passat TDI down to the outer banks and back (a total of 976.15 miles) on ONE tank with another 6 1/2 gallons left. good for an EASY 1300 miles roughly. 780 and 800 are good, but 1300 is way better.

edit: the gas gauge didn't even MOVE till we started coming back home. that was after driving down and around OBX for a week.

Old 10-09-05, 02:41 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

toyota and hino has made a turbo diesel hyrbid truck, its just a matter of time till that technology is made into cars

"A hybrid-diesel is not something that we (Toyota) would eliminate as a candidate" for the U.S. market, said Paul Nolasco, Toyota's assistant manager for public affairs. Toyota manufactures a hybrid-diesel flatbed truck for sale in Japan, Nolasco said, and the company "doesn't want to rule anything out."
http://www.wired.com/news/autotech/0,2554,65273,00.html

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/ar...x?id=2147&vf=1
Old 10-09-05, 04:02 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Electric what? Diesels are the way to go.
Volkswagon has a 3 cylinder diesel engine that gets 80 mpg, now that's good fuel economy.
Old 10-09-05, 04:09 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Last weeks episode of Top Gear had the Audi V8TT Diesel. 800miles to a tank. Not bad at all... too bad we never get any of these cars.
Old 10-09-05, 04:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by biker
In case of the Euro Accord (TSX) the diesel is cleaner than the gas car!

BTW, low sulphur diesel availability is supposed to be 6/1/06.
huh? it is not cleaner... CO2 emissions are lower, but particle emissions are few hundred (thousand?) times more... Thats even with low sulphur fuel.

Thats why even with low sulphur fuel, current EuroIV diesels wont be able to pass upcoming emissions laws in the US that equal requirements for both diesels and petrol vehicles...

Diesels are nice, problem is that they become more and more expensive... Even in Europe, turbo diesel is 2-3k more expensive that similar petrol vehicle, and thats without more advanced cats. In fact, lot of people here are now switching back to petrol cars since they realize they can not save money with diesels.

As with hybrids, a lot of companies market them as more power with lower consumption, in order to get more customers...
Old 10-09-05, 04:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaban
Electric what? Diesels are the way to go.
Volkswagon has a 3 cylinder diesel engine that gets 80 mpg, now that's good fuel economy.
This is the car.....and the engine....you are no doubt referring to. It is the Volkswagen Lupo...a nifty super-econony special that is not available in the U.S.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/consum...w/mauto497.htm
Old 10-09-05, 05:40 PM
LexFather

Well, Benz has offered this E-class in the US for sometime. I am glad they didn't give up on the American market with it.

Quick Reply: The 2006 E320 CDI Diesel 780 Miles. 1 Tank. You Do the Math