Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one would you buy for 35k? 911 or M3?
911 (996)
61.54%
M3 (E46)
31.87%
I honestly don't like either car, so I wouldn't buy either
6.59%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

M3 or 911 used for the same price (say 35k)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-05, 02:40 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That is a very tough question. I would love to own both of these cars and they do have their pluses and minuses. For reliability and cost the Porsche 911 generally is considered pretty well built and reliable although they are very expensive to maintain. The M3 is reportedly a little less reliable and does have some engine issues but I am pretty sure they were addressed from recalls and warranty extensions, M3 is generally less expensive to maintain then a 996 911. I think you need to have alot of money to buy and own these 2 cars and even if you do get a good deal on buying one the cost of owning it,insuring, and fixing problems is going to be extremely expensive compared to most other cars besides exotics.

For performance a stock M3 and stock 911 generally put out similiar numbers but the feel and handling characteristics are pretty different as engines are mounted on opposite sides. Depends on if you like the rear end bias and traction of a 911 or the conventional front engine rear drive of an M3. Both are stellar performers and I don't think there is a huge advantage for either one. Both engines are very good too and very smooth with pretty linear powerbands though they are both pretty high revers.

For exterior looks that is a toss up but I think I prefer a stock M3 over a stock 911. The 911 has that classic sports car look where the M3 has an agressive modern sports coupe look and feel. Stock 996 rwd 911s do look a little plain to me from some angles so a wide body kit or lowering it with some nicer rims will remedy most of that. There is something about E46 M3s that everytime I see one it just stands out especially in black, white, and silver. It may be based on a 3 series but there are enough changes to make it almost look like a different car. With those rims, more agressive front airdam, side gills, and exaust it is one of my favorite cars on the road and will be tough to top. I think an M3 looks great stock and I would not change anything about it. I would have to give the M3 a slight nod stock although tastefully clean modified 911s look just as good if not better.

For interior I would have to give the M3 another nod. Both have nice interiors with good fit and finish but the 996 interior does have a few peices and buttons around the dash that look and feel a little cheap and out of place on a car costing that much. The M3 materials to me feel very high quality and there is nothing that feels a little cheap compared to the cost. Both cars have good visibility and sporty cockpits I just think the M3 is a little more successful. The 997 911 does have a much improved cockpit though and is very well done.

For tuning/performance potential I think I would give the 911 the nod there. I have not really seen too many high horsepower M3s and I am not really sure the engine can reliably handle too much more hp or forced induction in that it already had some issues with the current 333hp. I think the CSL puts out a little over 350hp and I believe that is near the limit for it being a reliable daily driver. The 911 engine seems more robust and I have seen several highly tuned high horsepower 996 911 engines. The GT3 puts out 380 horsepower and the turbo awd and GT2 put out well over 400hp. I am not exactly sure how much the basic 911 engine is strengthend to achive those higher horsepower numbers but I am sure there are much more aftermarket strengthend parts available for the 911 to reliably handle high horspower increases and other mods.

As for living with the car everyday I would give the nod to the M3. The M3 has much more room in the rear and a nice sized trunk for longer trips and carrying people. The M3 is also less tricky to drive for inexperienced drivers in many situations with its traditional front engine rear drive layout compared to the 911s rear engine rear drive but is not as fun in certain situations as the 911. The engine bay in the M3 is much easier to work on then the 911 with some parts very difficult to reach buried under parts of the body.

I would not be dissapointed with either car and be very happy to own either one but I think I will give a slight nod to a E46 M3 compared to a 996 911 because the M3 provides about the same performance and great German tuning and feel as the 911 and I think the M3 would be a better car to live with everyday in that there is more rear seat room and a full sized trunk and it should cost less to maintain although it is generally not as reliable as a 911. I know there is a alot of satisfaction from owning and saying you drive a Porsche then owning a BMW but if I could only choose one car of the 2 I think I would go with the M3. If I could afford it to be a second car well I might possibly go with the 911 since there is more tuning potential and it is a little rarer and more exclusive with a richer racing history and it does not need to be as practical but the M3 would still be up there. As for a 997 911 I would probrably choose it over an M3 especially an S model but the price is getting out of hand for 911's. The new M3 will be packing a v8 making 400+ horsepower but I have a feeling it will start around 60K making it more unattainable to many enthusiasts and you have to deal with that ugly dissapointing Bangle interior.

Last edited by UDel; 10-09-05 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-09-05, 03:28 PM
MarkW2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't get either. And even if you give those used cars to me for free, I wouldn't take it.
Old 10-09-05, 03:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

As I said earlier, there are many good ways to spend 35K on a nice ride, but given the question of these two specific vehicles, UDel ( as usual ) has covered it pretty well. There isn't much I can add except to say that black, white, and silver are not for me...give me the M3 in bright blue or yellow. And I would not care for the ride on either car....both are far too stiff for my tastes.
Old 10-09-05, 05:56 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks mmarshall, I forgot about that light blue and that cream yellow type color available for the M3. Those are good looking colors too but a little rarer especially that light blue.
Old 10-09-05, 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The blue I was talking about, UDel, was a BRIGHT blue. Here's an example:

http://www.internetautoguide.com/use...8/2/index.html
Old 10-09-05, 06:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LT. LEX
That's a tough one. But where would the golf clubs fit in the 911? And Mike, you like to carry at least a couple of chicks with you at a time...
I think u just ended the search

Old 10-09-05, 08:09 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The blue I was talking about, UDel, was a BRIGHT blue. Here's an example:

http://www.internetautoguide.com/use...8/2/index.html
I remember seeing a M3 in that blue when they first came out at a BMW dealership in Wilmington DE. It had like a 10-15K mark up and the dealer said it was some special order color but I am pretty sure it is a regular color and it was just an excuse for a mark up. I have never seen a blue one like that on the road or at any other dealerships since but it does look nice and unique. I did not remember it being that bright but maybe it is just how it comes off in those photos.
Old 10-09-05, 08:31 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I remember seeing a M3 in that blue when they first came out at a BMW dealership in Wilmington DE. It had like a 10-15K mark up and the dealer said it was some special order color but I am pretty sure it is a regular color and it was just an excuse for a mark up. I have never seen a blue one like that on the road or at any other dealerships since but it does look nice and unique. I did not remember it being that bright but maybe it is just how it comes off in those photos.
That blue you talk about and mmarshall posted is not exactly rare at all. It is posible that it is on the more rare side because it is not a popular color maybe, but I've seen at least one which is for sale by the way locally in my area. I've also seen that color on the internet forums before as well. Personally I don't like that color.
Old 10-09-05, 08:58 PM
LexFather

Damn, 2 pages and no pics yet!
Attached Thumbnails M3 or 911 used for the same price (say 35k)-1060184620.171950174.im1.main.565x421_a.562x421.jpg  

Old 10-09-05, 10:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

haha that's not fair mike that's an m3 but is that a base model 911?

seriously, if it's the c4s or anything above, i would take the porsche right the way, however if it's just the normal 911, i will choose to take the m3 instead
Old 10-10-05, 12:31 AM
typeshblue
Driver

M3 just because is a mmmmmmmmm love the design, my bro just got one too
Old 10-10-05, 12:43 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M3 Mike....
Old 10-10-05, 06:48 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the M3 but I'd love the 911 even more. Perfection.

My favorite site for automobiles.

BMW:
http://www.iforged.com/showroom/view...umName=album02

Porsche:
http://www.iforged.com/showroom/view...album03&page=1
Old 10-10-05, 02:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
There are a number of them running around the DC area as well...it is not rare. And yes, it is bright.......wake up to that in the morning and you won't need your coffee.
Old 10-10-05, 02:57 PM
LexusIV
Pole Position

I'm going to have to say Porsche, just have always liked them. Don't get me wrong I like M's too, but I like the fact that the Porsche is built to be souly a sports car.

As far as the Porsche being more rare, they are both extremely rare where I live. Though one of the few M3's I've seen in town was the blue color.

Quick Reply: M3 or 911 used for the same price (say 35k)