Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ethanol Fuel: does it really harm our engines?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-05, 09:04 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ethanol Fuel: does it really harm our engines?

Out here in the midwest, we have ethanol blended fuels...they are less expensive than the non ethanol fuel. But i have heard rumors that ehtanol hurts our engines in the long run...something regarding not burning completely up in the engine or somehting. can anyone shed light on this?
Old 10-09-05, 10:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Ethanol will not hurt the engine itself....in fact, it is beneficial in several ways. It burns cleaner, with lower emissions and has a detergent cleaning effect, which helps prevent deposits on spark plugs, valves, etc......and helps evaporate moisture in the fuel system. It also has extremely high octane that helps prevent detonation and pinging and allows more advanced spark timing and higher engine temperatures for better efficiency. It is also safer because it has less vapor pressure than gasoline and a higher flash point....one of the main reasons why open-wheel racing converted to it back in the 1960's after the disastrous fireball crash at the 1964 Indy 500 that killed Eddie Sachs and Dave MacDonald.

However, Alcohol has disadvantages as well. While it will hot harm the engine itself, it WILL degrade fuel systems that are not specifically designed for it.....one reason why even in the Midwest with its gasahol program the mixture is limited to a 90-10 gas-alcohol mix. Auto manufacturers design engines and fuel systems for the American market to accept a 90-10 mix but will void the warranty if anything above that is used. ( Other countries, such as Brazil, which have much more widespread use of alcohol, have different engines and fuel systems ).
Alcohol does not have anywhere the energy content of gasoline, so that a much larger fuel tank must be used to give a comparible cruising range. And, last, alcohol is generally safer, fire-wise, than gasoline, but if you DO have an alcohol fire, unlike gasoline with its bright-orange flames and black smoke, alcohol burns with a very light-blue flame that is difficult to see and virtually no smoke. You can sometimes have a fire and not realize it.....I have seen this happen during pit stops in open-wheel racing when alcohol hits hot engine and exhaust parts.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-09-05 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-09-05, 12:28 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

I use Sunoco Ultra 94 for my ES......which here in Toronto contains up to 10% ethanol. Never a problem & exactly what MM describes.
Old 10-09-05, 01:49 PM
Final Word
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
I use Sunoco Ultra 94 for my ES......which here in Toronto contains up to 10% ethanol. Never a problem & exactly what MM describes.

Your Sunocos still have 94 octane? Here on long island, they've done away with that. The highest they offer now is 93.