Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Bluebird Sylphy (next Sentra???)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-05, 12:11 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Nissan Bluebird Sylphy (next Sentra???)

The previous generation Bluebird Sylphy was sold outside Japan under different names (Asian market Sentra, Pulsar, Almera sedan etc).
The previous Bluebird Sylphy was based on the platform of the JDM Nissan Sunny, the car where the USDM Sentra was derived from.

The new Sentra will be based off of this platform. It may or may not actually look like this, but a least we know what we are dealing with.

Old 10-09-05, 12:17 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

See now this is a damn shame when one of your lowest model cars looks like one of your most expensive cars(Infiniti M35/45 to be exact). Its a shrunken M35. Rediculous if you ask me.

Another thing I noticed it seems that everybody is adding that chrome strip to the bottom of their doors just like the 3gen Lexus GS. Car just came out and it seems like everybody is copying that subtle styling cue.
Old 10-09-05, 01:05 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by magneto112
See now this is a damn shame when one of your lowest model cars looks like one of your most expensive cars(Infiniti M35/45 to be exact). Its a shrunken M35. Rediculous if you ask me.
I agree... look at the new Civic
Old 10-09-05, 01:15 PM
Variance
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing I noticed it seems that everybody is adding that chrome strip to the bottom of their doors just like the 3gen Lexus GS. Car just came out and it seems like everybody is copying that subtle styling cue.
I don't believe the 3rd gen GS is the first car to have that.

Some people think this is the new Sentra design that didn't fare well in US test groups and is going to be changed. I hope it has the same interior.
Old 10-09-05, 01:46 PM
Final Word
Driver School Candidate

I don't really think it looks like an M35/M45. The only part of the car where I can sort of see the similarities is in the headlights. Of course all Nissans/ Infinitis have similar styling cues (so does Toyota/Lexus, so does Acura/Honda), but this "Sentra" does not look like a 50k car.

The one thing about Nissan that i do notice is that their models, at least from an exterior standpoint, have much more upscale looking designs vs. their Toyota and Honda counterparts. The Altima, Maxima, and Murano stand out as examples of this.
Old 10-09-05, 02:47 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by Final Word
I don't really think it looks like an M35/M45. The only part of the car where I can sort of see the similarities is in the headlights. Of course all Nissans/ Infinitis have similar styling cues (so does Toyota/Lexus, so does Acura/Honda), but this "Sentra" does not look like a 50k car.
Looks are subjective and I can respect your opinion, but i personally can see many similarities. The headlights, the grill very reminiscent of the the M-series, hood, overall window design, rear lights look like modified M35/45 or G35, rear license plate treatment looks like FX, and the interior has the same Navi control layout you see in the new M35/45. To me its way to blatant. No it doesnt necessarily look like a 50K car, but there are strong similarities between the 50K car and this I assume 15K car. Now like I said before, we might not get this exact model here in the US as there is no Infiniti in Japan. With that said, I can almost, almost justify the similarities between the two. But we are in an entirely different market and I highly doubt Nissan would bring this exact car to the US without exterior and interior modifications as they are trying to differenciate the brands.

Most Nissan models I just flat out dont like right now. I used to be a big Nissan fan(heck, I think I own one of the greatest Nissan sedans ever sold in the US), but to me, the styling on most of the newer models is just not my thing.

The one thing about Nissan that i do notice is that their models, at least from an exterior standpoint, have much more upscale looking designs vs. their Toyota and Honda counterparts. The Altima, Maxima, and Murano stand out as examples of this.
That I can entirely agree upon(out of those three listed). Except for the new Maxima. Avalon all the way baby.
Old 10-09-05, 02:51 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by Variance
I don't believe the 3rd gen GS is the first car to have that.

:
Yeah you might be right, but I cant think of another car before the 3gen GS that had that small detail. It is what it is, I happen to like though.
Old 10-09-05, 02:55 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

those taillights are taken directly from the new IS
Old 10-09-05, 05:51 PM
LexFather

I agree. Its good for this car but bad for the luxury car company. Who needs additional confusion when you already have cars that look the same. And lol, the interior is better than every Nissan sold today. And its the entry level model.

And yes, seems the FX stole the chrome strip and now this car. So I am sure more cars will follow.

Overall, it looks pretty big, and seems to be a huge improvement over the current Sentra. I think this car would do very well here.

Old 10-09-05, 05:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Final Word

Of course Nissans look upscale, they are all design knock-offs of the 2nd generation Lexus GS.

Old 10-09-05, 06:42 PM
Variance
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And yes, seems the FX stole the chrome strip and now this car. So I am sure more cars will follow.
Wrong. The FX has had that chrome strip on the doors since its MY 2003 introduction.

Of course Nissans look upscale, they are all design knock-offs of the 2nd generation Lexus GS.
Please tell me you're joking...
Old 10-09-05, 07:22 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The current Maxima is a real rip off of the 2nd GS. I've noticed alot of body shape similarities.
The swept back rear windshield, the sharp windshield, placement of doors and windows.
The thing that bothers me most is that the rear windshield on the 2nd gen GS has that little lip rising from the windshield (MR2-esque) and the Maxima did the same.
Old 10-09-05, 07:33 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Wow that's ugly.
Old 10-09-05, 07:34 PM
Variance
Driver

Originally Posted by Koma
The current Maxima is a real rip off of the 2nd GS. I've noticed alot of body shape similarities. The swept back rear windshield, the sharp windshield, placement of doors and windows. The thing that bothers me most is that the rear windshield on the 2nd gen GS has that little lip rising from the windshield (MR2-esque) and the Maxima did the same.
I really wish you guys would stop acting like Lexus is the great innovator of car design.

These cars are completely different.
Old 10-09-05, 08:22 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Siigh...unfortunately we've covered this like 4539474792784 times before. There are similarities in the overall profile of the car. Long hood, short deck, roundish roof which has been around since the 1st gen GS and now something the 6th gen Maxima has that it never incorporated before. But if you wanna see a thorough debate about this, then I suggest you search using the keyword Maxima. You'll find plenty.

Quick Reply: Nissan Bluebird Sylphy (next Sentra???)