Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review of Subaru B9 Tribeca costs auto writer his job.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-05, 12:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review of Subaru B9 Tribeca costs auto writer his job.

Robert Farago, auto writer for the San Francisco Chronicle, was fired for his review of the Subaru B9 Tribeca.
Since we review and talk about cars every day here on CAR CHAT, I will post the article and let you draw your own conclusions if the firing was justified or not.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/con...9006/index.php
Old 10-09-05, 01:02 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Although hilarious, I'd have to say it was justified. The "Vagina" comment would probably spark some attention. The big thing though is this line:

Yes, I know: the design reflects Fuji Heavy Industries’ past as an airplane manufacturer. But they don't make airplanes anymore, and the ones they DID make attacked Pearl Harbor.
That's enough right there to get fired for. That's taking things a little too far. I agree that the B9 is an UGLY machine (though I like the interior), but to stab at a company that's said "let's forget the past and be friends" and scratch at old wounds isn't cool at all.
Old 10-09-05, 01:26 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Roffle.

I think he should make his own review mag. I'd sure as hell read it.
Old 10-09-05, 01:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Roffle.

I think he should make his own review mag. I'd sure as hell read it.
Well, now may be his chance, since he doesn't have a formal boss any more.
Old 10-09-05, 03:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

The review was hilarious. People need to lighten up.

Some great lines:

> While Subaru would like to convince us that “ugly ***” and “dynamic styling” are synonymous, even a pre-teen knows that repulsive is not, and never will be, the new cool.

> Other than its side profile, the B9’s best viewing angle is high Earth orbit.

> In order to fulfill their inscrutability quota, several Japanese manufacturers have tried to fashion their cars’ dashboards into a single, flowing, organic shape. Subaru’s B9 provides a particularly egregious example of this entirely pointless pursuit-- with the extra annoyance of meaningless symmetry and buttons that are about as pleasant to prod as a week-old cockroach carcass.

> But wait! There’s more! In case the cabin lacked sufficient cognitive dissonance to completely distract you from the business of driving, the gauges are hooded inside a small cowl. This sporty touch makes as much sense as a parachute on a scuba diver.

> If you see the Subaru B9’s hideousness and ****-poor packaging as representative of Subaru’s iconoclastic artistry, you might want to go there. Otherwise, don’t.
ROFL

He should team up with the also politically incorrect Jeremy Clarkson. What a duo!
Old 10-09-05, 04:07 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thats his opinion. You cant take that away from him. Its his right to say that the Tribeca is a ugly pig, which oddly enough is not opinion, but mere fact. True, some of his analogys were a bit on the extreme side, but I got the point.
Old 10-09-05, 04:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well....here's my take on it. While he did say a few things that I thought went a little over the line, I think that basically we need more people like him in the world of auto journalism. I, for one, get tired of reading columns and reviews of so many vehicles by so many people in auto journalism that can't even find their way to the rest room, much less accurately evaluate a new car. I see it all the time....glowing reports and trying to sugar-coat poor designs.....more so in the newspaper weeklies than in the real enthusiast magazines. No matter what kind of POS rolls out of a factory, these people ALWAYS say the same things....."nice", "great job", "a great advance forward", "a real bargain", etc.....on and on. Same stuff, over and over, no matter how good OR bad the design. I believe in being honest, and I get the impression that too many auto writers aren't. True....beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but some of these people never saw anything BUT beauty in a car....IMO they live in dream worlds. That is why I read newspaper weeklies just to get general reports but consult real magazines like Car and Driver ( my favorite ), Road and Track, Automobile, and Autoweek when I want accurate real information....and, of course, Consumer Reports for its unsurpassed reliability ratings.

Anyhow....this specific article. Like I said, we need people like him that will tell it like it is with vehicles.....not sugar-coat them all the time. I certainly would not have fired him, but I would have called him into my office and cautioned him on the use of some of the words he used and had him tone some of them down. But much of what he said about the Tribeca I myself agree with......it is indeed an ugly vehicle, and Subaru is not helping its image any by spreading that grille to the rest of its products. perhaps now that Toyota has part ownership maybe that will be put on hold....but Toyota has come up with some pretty ugly designs itself....like the Echo, Scion xB, and Prius.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-09-05 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-09-05, 04:56 PM
Matters
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe they fired this guy for those minor indiscretions. His honesty and humour were a breath for fresh air. The "vagina" remark was a but histrionic but adequately descriptive.

But, can't we compare things to private bodily parts anymore, without getting fired? I don't think any one is going to be emotionally scarred by his reference to a "vagina" and his pejorative tone. Except perhaps his Wife: just look at that grille!

Anyway will someone give him his job back.
Old 10-09-05, 05:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The review was hilarious. People need to lighten up.

Some great lines:

ROFL

He should team up with the also politically incorrect Jeremy Clarkson. What a duo!
I would subscribe to that!

Old 10-09-05, 05:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well....here's my take on it. While he did say a few things that I thought went a little over the line, I think that basically we need more people like him in the world of auto journalism. I, for one, get tired of reading columns and reviews of so many vehicles by so many people in auto journalism that can't even find their way to the rest room, much less accurately evaluate a new car. I see it all the time....glowing reports and trying to sugar-coat poor designs.....more so in the newspaper weeklies than in the real enthusiast magazines. No matter what kind of POS rolls out of a factory, these people ALWAYS say the same things....."nice", "great job", "a great advance forward", "a real bargain", etc.....on and on. Same stuff, over and over, no matter how good OR bad the design. I believe in being honest, and I get the impression that too many auto writers aren't. True....beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but some of these people never saw anything BUT beauty in a car....IMO they live in dream worlds. That is why I read newspaper weeklies just to get general reports but consult real magazines like Car and Driver ( my favorite ), Road and Track, Automobile, and Autoweek when I want accurate real information....and, of course, Consumer Reports for its unsurpassed reliability ratings.

Anyhow....this specific article. Like I said, we need people like him that will tell it like it is with vehicles.....not sugar-coat them all the time. I certainly would not have fired him, but I would have called him into my office and cautioned him on the use of some of the words he used and had him tone some of them down. But much of what he said about the Tribeca I myself agree with......it is indeed an ugly vehicle, and Subaru is not helping its image any by spreading that grille to the rest of its products. perhaps now that Toyota has part ownership maybe that will be put on hold....but Toyota has come up with some pretty ugly designs itself....like the Echo, Scion xB, and Prius.

I agree. All the automotive **** sucking must cease. Its fooling millions of people. People leave thinking one thing but damnit, you drive something totally different. Its ridiculous.

Can we e-mail this guy for support? Or the mag for making a mistake? Both?

Old 10-09-05, 05:47 PM
LexFather

Oh and after seeing the Tribeca in person, it is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen. It gave me nightmares.

Old 10-09-05, 06:00 PM
Coollexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree about the look of the exterior but I don't think the interior of the tribeca is that bad.

I disagree with his review of the GX.

Link to his review of the Lexus GX470

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/con...9905375790207/
Old 10-09-05, 06:13 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coollexus
I agree about the look of the exterior but I don't think the interior of the tribeca is that bad.
i'm with you man. ever since i first saw the tribeca's interior, i loved it. i really like the swooping M design that goes from the center console right over down the doors. but man subaru, please restyle the outside.
Old 10-09-05, 06:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Coollexus

I disagree with his review of the GX.

Link to his review of the Lexus GX470

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/con...9905375790207/
I agree, the interior is quite stunning, IMO. IN a good way

Old 10-09-05, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by adidosc
i'm with you man. ever since i first saw the tribeca's interior, i loved it. i really like the swooping M design that goes from the center console right over down the doors. but man subaru, please restyle the outside.
Toyota also used that " M " shaped dash on the 1990's Previa minivan....altough the " M " swept out more than down.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/U...rreviewphotos/

Quick Reply: Review of Subaru B9 Tribeca costs auto writer his job.