Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I'd hit it

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-05, 09:45 PM
BrianH
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every BMW looks great from the front...thats not the problem. Its the back that looks awful, particularly the trunk. it doesnt flow with the car at all. it looks like they designed a beautiful car, forgot to add the trunk lid, and when they did they just took a solid block and set it there. i love seeing BMWs pass me on the opposite side of the road until i look in the rearview and see the trunk, then i just shudder at its ugliness
Old 10-10-05, 09:52 PM
Matters
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
BMW execs have been saying for a while now that they weren't going to let Chris Bangle screw around with their bread-and-butter car...the 3 series.....as much as with the slower-selling 5 and 7 series ( thank goodness ) . They simply couldn't afford it. The 3-series ( including the M3's ) account for some 60% of BMW's worldwide sales. A big negative public reaction to this car.....unlike the 5 and 7-series.......would put a lot of people at BMW out in the bread line. This is also the car ( and we Lexus and Subaru fans have to admit it ) that sets the international standard for medium-priced sports sedans....and has done so for some years. BMW realizes the need to keep from having massive changes on this car and driving people away.
I have not seen this car first-hand or driven it ( it is on my future schedule for a review ) but from what I HAVE seen of the exterior and interior in photos, it is pretty much what the BMW execs said it would be......somewhat Bangle-ized but not to the extent of its bigger brothers. I-Drive, for instance....the bane of many auto reviewers ( and myself ) is not standard on this car....it is an option only on some models, and the pronounced trunk-lid lip and ugly headlights on other Chris Bangle cars are more muted on this car as well.
I've heard that the new 3 series is, on worldwide figures, selling less than the old one did at the same time last year. Not sure whether it is a supply or a demand thing though. Can anyone confirm?
Old 10-10-05, 09:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusIV
I'm going to have to agree with you there, way too busy.

We must have similar taste.
that's what we are working towards right?
Old 10-10-05, 11:36 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Matters
I've heard that the new 3 series is, on worldwide figures, selling less than the old one did at the same time last year. Not sure whether it is a supply or a demand thing though. Can anyone confirm?
gotta wait a year to really see how it pans out. most first of its generation takes time for it to pick up. take a look at the accords and altimas, they didnt start selling like hot cakes until mid-end of the first year.
Old 10-11-05, 12:01 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I like the current 5-series much more than the 3.