Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota To Debut Fuel-Cell Concept Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05, 09:33 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Toyota To Debut Fuel-Cell Concept Vehicle

Toyota Motor Corp. said Tuesday it will unveil a new concept model for environmentally friendly fuel-cell hybrid vehicles that emit only water, at the Tokyo Motor Show beginning later this month.
The Fine-X passenger vehicle employs Toyota's fuel-cell hybrid system that requires chemical reaction between hydrogen and oxygen as fuel to generate electricity. It also features unusually smooth drive thanks to "four-wheel independent drive control and large, steering angle mechanism," the carmaker said.

Fuel-cell vehicles are regarded as more ecologically friendly than hybrid electric-gasoline vehicles, while major automakers in the world compete for the development and diffusion of related technologies.

Toyota also adopted a "carbon-neutral system" by using plant-based materials for interior and exterior components, it said. The materials grow by absorbing carbon dioxide in the natural environment and would not cause overall addition to the amount of CO2 in the environment when incinerated upon disposal.

The 39th Tokyo Motor Show will open to the public on Oct. 22 at the Makuhari Messe convention center in Chiba Prefecture. The Fine-X will be one of 23 Toyota-brand concept and production vehicles, including a new-generation minivan, the Estima Hybrid Concept.
Old 10-11-05, 10:16 AM
saleem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a boring *** lineup . I was hoping on news for a new sports car from the likes of Toyota. But I guess I was expecting too much . As a long time admirer and Toyota Fan im dissapointed.
Old 10-11-05, 10:17 AM
saleem
Pole Position

more cookie cutter cheesy looking boxed and personal mobility concepts . absoulutely outrageous . The only thing I admire is the minivan looks great . I saw the pictures of Toyotas press release at response.jp. I think I wanna cry if this is the best Toyota can do on home grounds to show the world.
Old 10-11-05, 10:19 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is interesting news... but I would really prefer they utilize this new fuel cell technology in existing models. It's always nice to see manufacturers come up with new technologies, but when they introduce them in concepts whose only purpose is to showcase the technology the whole concept just falls flat for me. Let's see how this could REALLY work in the REAL world.

... and when can I buy an Estima at my local dealership. I know according to the Navy owning a minivan makes you the most miserable, wasted form of a man... but I want a pimped out Estima, dammit!
Old 10-11-05, 10:39 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
The 39th Tokyo Motor Show will open to the public on Oct. 22 at the Makuhari Messe convention center in Chiba Prefecture. The Fine-X will be one of 23 Toyota-brand concept and production vehicles, including a new-generation minivan, the Estima Hybrid Concept.
On the Tokyo Motor Show website, it reveals that Toyota/Lexus/Scion will reveal 6 World Premiere cars. So, the six will be:

1) Fine-X
2) Estima Hybrid
3) LS460/LS600h
4) (perhaps the IS coupe?!?!)
5) (perhaps the LX replacement)
6) (what else can anyone think of?)

Your input?
Old 10-11-05, 11:03 AM
Bluesman2
Driver

I don't see any information regarding Toyota model debuts. Can you link it?
Old 10-11-05, 12:16 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
On the Tokyo Motor Show website, it reveals that Toyota/Lexus/Scion will reveal 6 World Premiere cars. So, the six will be:

1) Fine-X
2) Estima Hybrid
3) LS460/LS600h
4) (perhaps the IS coupe?!?!)
5) (perhaps the LX replacement)
6) (what else can anyone think of?)

Your input?
New Supra/sports car?
Next Windom/Camry?
Old 10-11-05, 01:38 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by saleem
more cookie cutter cheesy looking boxed and personal mobility concepts . absoulutely outrageous . The only thing I admire is the minivan looks great . I saw the pictures of Toyotas press release at response.jp. I think I wanna cry if this is the best Toyota can do on home grounds to show the world.
Uuhh, calm down dude. Maybe you didn't read everything, but it says the Fine-X will be ONE of 23 different vehicles on display from Toyota, another being the Estima hybrid. That leaves 21 other vehicles on display, and as already mentioned, there will be 6 world premieres.

As for those 6, I'm betting the new LS is definitely in there, as well as possibly a new Camry, possibly the new Supra, possibly a "production ready" LF-A.

The LS is the only one I'm betting will be there for sure. The rest is a mystery, but I can't wait
Old 10-11-05, 02:06 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Uuhh, calm down dude. Maybe you didn't read everything, but it says the Fine-X will be ONE of 23 different vehicles on display from Toyota, another being the Estima hybrid. That leaves 21 other vehicles on display, and as already mentioned, there will be 6 world premieres.

As for those 6, I'm betting the new LS is definitely in there, as well as possibly a new Camry, possibly the new Supra, possibly a "production ready" LF-A.

The LS is the only one I'm betting will be there for sure. The rest is a mystery, but I can't wait
Definitely can't wait to see the new LS! The Fine-X Concept may not be an exciting news to the enthusiasts like you but will be an important step forward for the rest of the world.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 10-12-05 at 09:36 AM. Reason: forgot the "not" after "may" *doh*
Old 10-12-05, 09:14 AM
saleem
Pole Position

Cant wait to see the six world premieres ... any info to the direct link to the info where it was posted ? I have looked all over even on the official tokyo motorshow website couldnt really make it out.
Old 10-12-05, 10:44 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant wait either
Everyday I look to see what day it is, even though I already know... lol... the debuts cant come soon enough