Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW boss pushes return of Scirocco in 2008

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05, 09:35 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default VW boss pushes return of Scirocco in 2008

Coupe Scoop: VW boss pushes return of Scirocco in 2008
GREG KABLE
Posted Date: 10/11/05

A rapid 3.2-liter 247-hp V6-powered all-wheel-drive coupe will spearhead Volkswagen boss Wolfgang Bernhard’s effort to establish the German carmaker as the purveyor of some of Europe’s most desirable yet affordable performance cars.

Described to AutoWeek as the spiritual successor to the once highly regarded Scirocco, the coupe will be built on a modified Jetta chassis. Wolfsburg insiders say the new car may be marketed under the name Rivo.

With styling by VW design boss Murat Gunak, whose credits include the Mercedes-Benz SLR, and VW head of advanced design Peter Schreyer, who oversaw Audi’s recent design renaissance, the resurrected Scirocco is a pure 2+2 designed to complement the Eos folding-hardtop convertible unveiled at Frankfurt.

The car adopts the muscular styling treatment first shown on VW’s Concept R—a car that now appears to be abandoned due to its complex mid-engine layout.

Power comes from two four-cylinders, the new 1.4-liter Twincharger unit, and the turbo*charged 2.0-liter FSI mill. At the top of the line is a 3.2-liter V6, paired with all-wheel drive.

Gearboxes include a six-speed manual and optional six-speed DSG unit.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103350
Old 10-11-05, 10:14 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should be an interesting stab at another new image for Volkswagen. We all know how succesful their attempt at establishing themselves as a Luxury manufacturer went. The Phaeton was is an amazing vehicle, but the "VW" on either end of it was enough to give it a death sentence here in states. It's amazing how powerful ignorance can be.
Old 10-11-05, 10:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Leets
This should be an interesting stab at another new image for Volkswagen. We all know how succesful their attempt at establishing themselves as a Luxury manufacturer went. The Phaeton was is an amazing vehicle, but the "VW" on either end of it was enough to give it a death sentence here in states. It's amazing how powerful ignorance can be.
If you consider the price difference between the Phaeton V12 and its competitor BMW and M-B V-12's, there is no reason whatsoever why the Phaeton should not have sold...even considering the rise in gas prices. Anyone who can buy a Phaeton ( especially paying cash for it ) can afford to feed it.....even at $3.50 a gallon. Yes, VW has crappy electronics....but so does BMW and M-B, which are even more expensive cars. I agree with Leets.......while I believe in the consumer's right to choose, this is clearly a case of public ignorance....ignoring the Phaeton V12 while buying the Chris Bangle and M-B V12's.

Now...the Scirocco. I still remember the original car very well from the late 80's / early 1990's. I test-drove a Scirocco VR6 for a friend of mine shopping for one...the VR6 only had around 160 HP or so back then...maybe a little more. I admire VW's efforts to bring it back, but I'm not sure it would sell very well today. Some of its former niche market has been taken by its own VW brothers, the Golf GTI and the R32, and the rest of this market has shifted toward either domestic pocket-rockets like the Dodge Neon SRT-4, Saturn Ion Red line, Chevy Cobalt SS, etc..... or Japanese ones like the Evo, WRX, STI, etc.....
Old 10-11-05, 01:29 PM
AgentWD-40
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leets
Well I'm sure the VW on either end didn't help, but if I'm dropping that kind of cash I would expect better dealer service, the sort that the VW dealer likely couldn't offer. If they did offer special service then it might be different.

IMO that is a major drawback for these high priced "regular" cars. Toureg, Phaeton, and Land Cruiser come to mind. If you drop the bucks the Toyota and VW dealer should offer a more "special" service experience for you.
Old 10-11-05, 06:12 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder how well it will fare. the Scirocco and the Corrado were quirky but fun to drive. My VW-fiend friend has a 78 MKI Scirocco with a 94 Jetta engine swap, quick as hell...
Old 10-11-05, 07:12 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Now...the Scirocco. I still remember the original car very well from the late 80's / early 1990's. I test-drove a Scirocco VR6 for a friend of mine shopping for one...the VR6 only had around 160 HP or so back then...maybe a little more. I admire VW's efforts to bring it back, but I'm not sure it would sell very well today. Some of its former niche market has been taken by its own VW brothers, the Golf GTI and the R32, and the rest of this market has shifted toward either domestic pocket-rockets like the Dodge Neon SRT-4, Saturn Ion Red line, Chevy Cobalt SS, etc..... or Japanese ones like the Evo, WRX, STI, etc.....
What's to become of the Neon? That Nitro thing is supposed to replace it correct? I don't understand why a sport-ute would replace a sedan....
Old 10-11-05, 07:29 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Koma
What's to become of the Neon? That Nitro thing is supposed to replace it correct? I don't understand why a sport-ute would replace a sedan....
Yeah, doesn't make much sense, especially with people nowadays and their doomsday sayings about the price of oil/gas.

mmarshall, you and I can lament image all day long. You certainly do, I tend to call it quits at lunch time. The fact of the matter is, no matter the value a Phaeton ever was, image is still pretty important. The fact that you bring it to a VW dealership, as mentioned earlier, for service probably doesn't help matters either.

I wonder if that's a big part of the problem with Maybach sales in the US... Sharing of dealerships and service bays.
Old 10-11-05, 07:30 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

My bud had a G60 supercharged Corrado, cool as hell and the second most unreliable car I've ever seen (first one was a 64 Ford Mustang).
Old 10-11-05, 09:00 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Corrado is a much better name than Scirocco.

SLC > G60
Old 10-12-05, 05:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Incendiary
mmarshall, you and I can lament image all day long. You certainly do, I tend to call it quits at lunch time. The fact of the matter is, no matter the value a Phaeton ever was, image is still pretty important. The fact that you bring it to a VW dealership, as mentioned earlier, for service probably doesn't help matters either.

I wonder if that's a big part of the problem with Maybach sales in the US... Sharing of dealerships and service bays.
You have time for lunch?.................I'm too busy posting.

With the Phaeton, though, it's not so much a matter of image as just common sense. If the public is rejecting the Phaeton's relatively bargain-priced W12 ( sorry, I said V12 earlier...it's actually a W12 ) and buying the more expensive BMW and M-B, then I just see it as a matter of not doing their homework ) Now...perhaps there are valid reasons why they prefer the BMW or MB. Fine. I can understand that....and I never argue with the consumer's freedom of choice.....but a choice like that surely can't be based on price.

I honestly don't have an answer for you on the Maybach......although I suspect that, like the Rolls and Bentley, it two primary competitors, it is just simply overpriced and not really worth what it costs.....you'll notice that Rolls and Bentley don't sell in huge numbers either.
Old 10-12-05, 05:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sorry, folks.....another typo here on my part. I meant the Corrado, not the Scirocco.
The Corrado replaced the Scirocco....and then was dropped in the early 1990's.
Guess my advancing age is starting to show a little here.
Old 05-24-06, 08:47 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

a few new pics here...

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...cco.113136.htm

Last edited by magneto112; 05-24-06 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-24-06, 09:16 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Definitely a good idea for VW to bring back the Scirroco/Corrado. It would be good for
the brand to have a sporty car in the lineup.

The redesign doesn't look so good since it doesn't look sporty enough. It still looks
like a purposeful hot hatch. I think VW needs a more aggressive/classy look to possibly
compete with 350Z or 3series coupe.

That would be the market which will be considering the Scirroco.
Old 05-24-06, 09:25 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

uhhh based on the pics the conceptual design really doesnt look like an evolution of the Scirocco or the Corrado!!!