Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Big Change (thinking about buying AWD car)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-05, 01:55 PM
nyczdave
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeh that is true.. but i would rather get 1 car that i can drive all year long.

but thanks for all the opinions.. i just wish they had an AWD for the 2001 model of the GS..

Originally Posted by xioix
I would say gett a winter beater, and keep the GS as you seem to have some things you want to do with the GS
Old 10-13-05, 07:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Can I recommend Acura MDX? I know it's not as fast as FX35/45 and not as refined as RX300, but at the same time it is a solid SUV and could be bought fairly cheap.

It a lot roomier than FX and RX, it has more power than RX and its interior is way better than FX. It's offroad capabilities are way superior to both FX and RX, yet it's ride is nice and smooth, smoother than RX. I personally took my parent's MDX on a soccer field covered with several feet of snow, and had crazy fun. The car didn't hesitate for a moment, it ripped through snow without a hint of ever getting stuck.

As far as the FX goes, it is probably the worst choice of bad weather vehicle. With that stiff suspension and low profile 20" rims it wont do any better than RWD/FWD with snow tires.
Old 10-14-05, 05:10 AM
nyczdave
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.. Yes I did have the MDX in mind. only reason i was straying away from the MDX cause im not a big fan of the way the MDX looks. But i am sure it is a great value just like the TL.

Originally Posted by Och
Can I recommend Acura MDX? I know it's not as fast as FX35/45 and not as refined as RX300, but at the same time it is a solid SUV and could be bought fairly cheap.

It a lot roomier than FX and RX, it has more power than RX and its interior is way better than FX. It's offroad capabilities are way superior to both FX and RX, yet it's ride is nice and smooth, smoother than RX. I personally took my parent's MDX on a soccer field covered with several feet of snow, and had crazy fun. The car didn't hesitate for a moment, it ripped through snow without a hint of ever getting stuck.

As far as the FX goes, it is probably the worst choice of bad weather vehicle. With that stiff suspension and low profile 20" rims it wont do any better than RWD/FWD with snow tires.
Old 10-14-05, 06:04 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nyczdave
Thanks.. Yes I did have the MDX in mind. only reason i was straying away from the MDX cause im not a big fan of the way the MDX looks. But i am sure it is a great value just like the TL.
Test drive one
Old 10-14-05, 06:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nyczdave
If you had the MDX in mind but don't like its looks, you can get the same chassis, drivetrain, and mechanicals in the Honda Pilot. The Pilot is somewhat boxier-shaped in the rear, a little more space efficient inside, and has a substantially lower price to start, but understandably doesn't come with quite as much standard equipment as the MDX or quite as long a warranty.....Honda is cheap in the warranty buisness and only gives you 3 / 36 on the whole car.

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...rDetected=True

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-14-05 at 06:10 AM.