Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Big Change (thinking about buying AWD car)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-05, 06:42 PM
nyczdave
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Change

Since I live in NY im thinking about trading my GS for an AWD car or a front wheel drive car
I can't stand not being able to drive around in the winter.

Does anyone have any good suggestions?
so far im thinking of a FX45.

im looking for some thing reliable, luxury, as well as pimping.

thanks for any opinions
Old 10-12-05, 06:46 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

What's wrong with the RX or GX model line? My wife has no problems here in Alaska driving her RX.
Old 10-12-05, 06:48 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GWELEX
What's wrong with the RX or GX model line? My wife has no problems here in Alaska driving her RX.
Agree................and I'm willing to bet the winters in Alaska are heavier and longer than in NY.
Old 10-12-05, 07:12 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I've had RWD cars since 1992 in Chicago. No issues - but I put snows on each winter and the summers on each spring.

However, I am going to look at the new A6 4.2 - with the S line package it is a very sweet ride.
Old 10-12-05, 07:28 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Before you do that, and drop a lot of money in the process, try $1000 on a set of winter tires and rims from a place like tirerack.com. You'd be amazed.
Old 10-13-05, 03:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Before you do that, and drop a lot of money in the process, try $1000 on a set of winter tires and rims from a place like tirerack.com. You'd be amazed.
This is true to an extent. Good winter tires like Bridgestone Blizzaks DO help a RWD car significantly, but it is still not like AWD. AWD offers advantanges on wet and dry pavement as well as sonw aid ice...and, of course, eliminates the need to swap tires from October to April ...the snow season in upstate New York.

You don't need to spend a lot of money for a good winter car, See my thread on inexpensive snow machines

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+snow+machines

If these are too cheap or too downmarket for your tastes..( as I suspect )....then look at more expensive AWD products. The Outback....especially the L.L Bean model...is especially classy for the price. A little more will get you the new Lexus IS250 AWD....and about 10K more, the new GS300 AWD....an excellent car. The FX35 / 45 that you suggest is well-built but has a stiff ride, rather subpar interior fit-and-finish for that pricecategory, and IMO quirky styling.

You have many other options and vehicle choices as well, but I don't have time to go into them all here.......................PM me if you want to discuss them.
Old 10-13-05, 05:04 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This is true to an extent. Good winter tires like Bridgestone Blizzaks DO help a RWD car significantly, but it is still not like AWD. AWD offers advantanges on wet and dry pavement as well as sonw aid ice...and, of course, eliminates the need to swap tires from October to April ...the snow season in upstate New York.

You don't need to spend a lot of money for a good winter car, See my thread on inexpensive snow machines

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+snow+machines

If these are too cheap or too downmarket for your tastes..( as I suspect )....then look at more expensive AWD products. The Outback....especially the L.L Bean model...is especially classy for the price. A little more will get you the new Lexus IS250 AWD....and about 10K more, the new GS300 AWD....an excellent car. The FX35 / 45 that you suggest is well-built but has a stiff ride, rather subpar interior fit-and-finish for that pricecategory, and IMO quirky styling.

You have many other options and vehicle choices as well, but I don't have time to go into them all here.......................PM me if you want to discuss them.
I must respectfully disagree and say that RWD, FWD, or AWD, you should still always drive on the best tires for the season. If there's snow out or even if it's just cold below, say, 50 deg F, you should be on snow tires.
Old 10-13-05, 05:15 AM
nyczdave
Pole Position

no problem with those.. i just can't afford it.

I was thinking about RXs.. but im not sure how much that will run me.

Originally Posted by GWELEX
Old 10-13-05, 05:21 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I must respectfully disagree and say that RWD, FWD, or AWD, you should still always drive on the best tires for the season. If there's snow out or even if it's just cold below, say, 50 deg F, you should be on snow tires.
I put snow tires on my wife's RX every fall as well. The difference is amazing and the peace of mind is priceless.
Old 10-13-05, 05:21 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nyczdave
no problem with those.. i just can't afford it.

I was thinking about RXs.. but im not sure how much that will run me.
Snow tires would be a lot cheaper...
Old 10-13-05, 09:01 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

isn't there an AWD GS350 coming?
Old 10-13-05, 09:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes, of course, you always get best winter traction with winter tires...that's no secret. But AWD, and to a lesser extent FWD, lessens the need for that....having to swap tires for the cooler months. However, some high-performance AWD's , like the Subaru STI and Mitsubishi Evo, come from the factory with summer hi-perf tires and a disclaimer is made by the manufacturer that for best winter traction different tires should be used....ideally winter ones. but the majority, if not most, Subarus come from the factory with Mud and Snow (M+S) all-season tires that generally work fine in snow. But...yes....as you indicate, you will generally get BEST traction with a tire like the Bridgestone Blizzak or equivalent.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-13-05 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-13-05, 09:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by nyczdave
Since I live in NY im thinking about trading my GS for an AWD car or a front wheel drive car
I can't stand not being able to drive around in the winter.

Does anyone have any good suggestions?
so far im thinking of a FX45.

im looking for some thing reliable, luxury, as well as pimping.

thanks for any opinions
FX45 is a great car for going in a straight line...forget it on turns AND winter weather.
Old 10-13-05, 09:32 AM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

FX45 or an AWD FX35 will still need snow tires for best performance. There has been a lot of discussion on snow performance over in the FX forum, (www.infinitifx.org). We've got some members who live in New England and in snowy places like Michigan and do ok.
Old 10-13-05, 12:20 PM
xioix
Racer

I would say gett a winter beater, and keep the GS as you seem to have some things you want to do with the GS

Quick Reply: Big Change (thinking about buying AWD car)