Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review.....2006 Dodge Magnum R/T

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-05, 01:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review.....2006 Dodge Magnum R/T

http://www.dodge.com/magnum/

Plusses:

Price ( 32K ) not bad for equipment offered.

340 HP Hemi has good low-end torque.

Hemi cylinder deactivation at cruise helps fuel MPG.

Well-designed, legible gauges and primary controls.

Plenty of driver's seat room even for tall and broad people.....like me.

Solid, substantial, Mercedes-derived chassis and transmission.

Versatility ( though somewhat limited ) of wagon body-style.

Civilized ride thanks to 60-series tires.

Minuses:

El Cheapo hardware, trim, and switchgear of poor quality.

Tin - can doors and body.

Hemi AWD models hard to find and not readily in stock.

Peek - A - Boo rear and rear side windows impede visibility.

Cheap-looking and feeling leather.

Poor choice, IMO, of of paint colors.

Second-rate paint jobs.

Serious decline in warranty coverage from 2005 to 2006.

Model reviewed: Bright Silver Metallic / two-tone white/gray interior 2006 RWD Magnum Hemi R/T. 5-speed automatic with Autostick feature. List price $32,400

Well.....I had a day off work today ( use-or-lose annual leave ) and I didn't want to waste the day without getting some things done both at home and errand-wise, and considering the amount of hype both the Hemi and the Magnum / Charger / 300C are getting in the auto press, and considering that my own boss ( not to mention other people too) is interested in the Magnum R/T and wanted my opinion of it, now was the time for me to review this vehicle and test-drive it.
As always with a brand-new car, I kept the tach under 4000 and didn't brake full-force, so if you want a review of what the car does at its limits, look in the auto-mag tests....not here.

First of all, I want to say that this car in many ways makes more sense than the 4-door Charger or 300C as a daily driver, especially for a family man. If you going to be stuck with four doors anyway with the Charger.....( and it is no secret that I agree with those who say that the 4-door Charger was a mistake....it should have been 2-doors instead ).......heck, you might as well just get the Magnum anyway, with its extra room behind the rear seats for carrying more bulky things. However, even though this is one of the car's selling points, it is also one of its weaknesses as well.....the low, chopped early 50's-design of the rear and rear-side windows may LOOK cool, but that chopped-top look significantly deceases visibility out the rear end. I was constantly adjusting the inside rear-view mirror and never could get it to where I could really see well out the rear....so you have to be especially careful changing lanes and backing up. An ultrasonic back-up system, however, is available as a dealer-installed accessory. And the somewhat downward-sloping rear roof does cut into some of the rear cargo space....this is not the wagon for carrying home that brand-new refirigerator.

However, up front, the room is fine.....I am 6' 2" and 275 lb. and this is one of the few sunroof-equipped cars I can fit in and drive without having either my skull or ubiquitous baseball cap hit the roofline. However, the seats themselves, even with power assist, were obviously victims of the D-C bean-counters. The leather looked and felt cheap.....I've seen better on $5 dime-store wallets.

Ditto for the interior hardware and switchgear, glove box, handles, cupholders, trim pieces,etc....
Chrysler products in general have some significant problems in this area, and this car is no exception. Although the radio-tuning and climate-control ***** felt and operated OK, the rest of the interior switchgear was somewhere between second and third-rate...especially the glove box door, which felt cheesier than an Friday-night pizza. While there were no significant squeaks or rattles on this brand-new car, this kind of materials quality does not bode well for rattle-free long-term ownership.
The outside rear-view mirrors were even worse. The hard, brittle plastic felt so thin that I was concerned that the first small pebble or piece of road debris to hit them will mean a trip to the body shop.
But the interior had good points, too. The pleasant, white-faced gauges with black and red markings were not only handsome but a marvel of simplicity, clearness, and legibility...and as I have already stated, room in the front and rear seats is quite good even for large people.

Now....on the road. The Hemi is smooth, powerful, and linear in its power delivery. It has good low-end torque so you don't have to wind the engine out Honda-style. I would say quiet, too, except that the engineers have obviously tuned the exhaust for a boy-racer sound...and it is noticeable under medium-to strong acceleration, although probably not as much as on the even more boy-racer SRT8. And it has the cylinder-deactivation feature that injects fuel to only four cylinders during low-power settings to help the gas mileage. Let's hope that this system turns out to be more reliable than the awful one Cadillac came out with in 1981 that was so troublesome. But when all 8 cylinders are working, there is certainly no lack of power....it certainly would get out of its own way, although the automatic transmission does delay the throttle response a little, and the AWD model with its extra weight and drag would affect it even more....if you can find one ( They are difficult to get, according to the Dodge people at the dealership ).

While you do notice broken pavement and bumps, the ride is quite civilized for two reasons.....first, the standard, rather tall-profile ( by today's standards) 60-series tires, and second, the fact that even though the Magnum R/T is a muscle car, it was not designed....or intended.....to be a corner-carving sports car. I liked both the ride and handling that the standard tires gave...by my standards, it was an excellent compromise between comfort and control.

While the standard R/T does not have the big Brembo brake package of the higher-powered and more expensive Magnum SRT8 model and Daytona R/T Chargers, there was nothing wrong with the ones on this car.....as I mentioned earlier, I did not accelerate or brake full-force due to the newness of the car and respect for the dealership. The pedal was a good compromise between too-squishy-soft and too-firm with road vibrations in the pedal.

Dodge is playing Scrooge with the warranty this year. Last year....2005....the car had a 3 / 36 general warranty and a 7 / 70 Drivetrain warranty...a good selling point, IMO, especially if you are going to keep the car more than a few years. Well, guess what? This year the whole-car warranty is 3 / 36 bumper-to-bumper. When I asked why, the Dodge people there said it was because surveys last year from customers, when asked what made them choose the car, almost never mentioned the long drivetrain warranty, so Dodge decided to get rid of it.

What bean counters won't do if given a chance.

Last....the paint colors. Come on, guys.....THREE different shades of silver / gray metallic ? Then.....black, dark midnight blue, and white? I've seen better-looking and more uplifting colors at the morgue. And the ONE color they offer that DOES open your eyes a little...a gorgeous Candy-Apple Red pearl / metallic called Inferno Red......they charge extra for. Not only that, but except for the Inferno Red, the other colors not only looked dour but were second-rate paint jobs as well....with orange peel, a lack of gloss, and unevenness of color.

The car's best point?.............apart from the Hemi engine, it has to be the Mercedes-derived chassis and transmission, which not only felt solid and worked well, but fortunately had some of the best features from Mercedes but without the classic Mercedes electrical problems, of which so much has been discussed here at CL. Unfortunately, that Mercedes solidness did not extend to the doors and sheet metal, both of which felt and sounded like something Charlie the Tuna would be right at home in.

So...all in all.............the verdict:

This is a car for those who want room, muscle-car power, a reasonable price, and a civilized ride, but are willing to put up with second-rate hardware, second-rate workmanship, and the possibility of having a rattle-and-squeak-box as the miles build up and that new-car solidness fades.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-14-05 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-14-05, 01:14 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I test drove the Magnum a few months back when searching for a car..... I always had in mind of getting the GS but wanted to see what else was out there... There's a Dodge Dealership right down the road from me so i decided to try one out.... The power of the R/T Magnum was really nice... The sales guy kept saying puch it puch it So i did and the power just came up from behind you at full force it was pretty incrediable... The R/T has nice lines and curves thats what makes the car different from others.... I didn't like plastic interior at all.... How can you have a Mercedes Platform and a Ford interior It doesn't make sense....

I agree with alot of your statements and the 300C and Charger are pretty nice as well.... I would like to drive the SRT-8 version to see what 425HP feels like

Tony
Old 10-14-05, 01:57 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Yep agree 100%. We used to lend out Magnums and 300's for our customers when I worked at Volvo. I must agree on the rear view visability. Not the greatest outback, but I think most will get used to it. The Magnum I drove was a 3.5L version, and man was that thing slow. The wieght of the car is to much for the 250hp engine. It was dangerously slow. I did however test a 300C with the Hemi at my best friends Acura dealership(trade in for a TSX) and it was a blast. I absolutely loved the car. It silver with light grey interior, Navi, etc. I found the Navi pretty straightforward and easy to use. The leather was crap and rather hard. The plastics were incredibly hard all around, however, I do truely like the simple and clean layout of all the controls and overall design of the interior. It has a classy look, but disgusting materials.

I also agree 100% on the chassis. That thing is tough as nails. Very solid and smooth over bumps. I must say that they did a great job on the chassis. I actually had a lot of fun tossing it around in the twisties. Obviously its not a mountain carver, but for such a large car, it did an outstanding job. I walked away impressed with the handling. Cant wait to try out a SRT-8.
Old 10-15-05, 03:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by magneto112
. Cant wait to try out a SRT-8.
I would have tried out an SRT8 myself except that there seemed to be more interest in the regular R/T Hemi model. Not only is the SRT8 substantially more expensive, but from what I've read, it rides harsher with the lowered suspension, firmer underpinnings, and lower-profile tires. It also is more of a magnet to traffic cops with its graphics, although not as much as the Charger Daytona R / T SRT8 with its yellow/orange/black graghics. Last, the SRT8 version of the Hemi does NOT have the regular Hemi's cylinder deactivation feature at cruise....the engineers coundn't figure a way to fit it in with the SRT8's modifications....so it would probably not appeal to as many people with gas prices what they are.
Old 10-15-05, 04:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,483 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Thanks for the review mmarshall.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Last, the SRT8 version of the Hemi does NOT have the regular Hemi's cylinder deactivation feature at cruise....the engineers coundn't figure a way to fit it in with the SRT8's modifications....so it would probably not appeal to as many people with gas prices what they are.
If someone's buying an Magnum SRT8 I expect gas mileage is not high on their priorities.

What's the fuel economy rating on the regular one you reviewed?
Old 10-15-05, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Thanks for the review mmarshall.

If someone's buying an Magnum SRT8 I expect gas mileage is not high on their priorities.

What's the fuel economy rating on the regular one you reviewed?

The EPA sticker on the RWD one I drove had 17 AND 24. I'd suspect that most normal suburban driving without a really heavy foot would turn in 15-16....probably about 20 on the interstate.
Though I did not actually check it on the sticker, I believe both the 5.7L and 6.1L Hemis use 93-Octane.

I agree that one does not normally buy a car like this to win economy runs, but still....$3.50 a gallon for premium gas is opening up some peoples' eyes and affecting car sales.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-15-05 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-15-05, 08:03 PM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A great review, as always! As far as the minuses go, guess it goes back to the "you get what you pay for" sort of thing...
Old 10-16-05, 11:37 AM
440+6
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
http://www.dodge.com/magnum/

Plusses:

Price ( 32K ) not bad for equipment offered.

340 HP Hemi has good low-end torque.

Hemi cylinder deactivation at cruise helps fuel MPG.

Well-designed, legible gauges and primary controls.

Plenty of driver's seat room even for tall and broad people.....like me.

Solid, substantial, Mercedes-derived chassis and transmission.

Versatility ( though somewhat limited ) of wagon body-style.

Civilized ride thanks to 60-series tires.

Minuses:

El Cheapo hardware, trim, and switchgear of poor quality.

Tin - can doors and body.

Hemi AWD models hard to find and not readily in stock.

Peek - A - Boo rear and rear side windows impede visibility.

Cheap-looking and feeling leather.

Poor choice, IMO, of of paint colors.

Second-rate paint jobs.

Serious decline in warranty coverage from 2005 to 2006.

What do you expect from Mopar muscle?

Annoying wind noise. Check
Mis-Aligned body panels and overspray everywhere. Check.
No rear visibility. Check.
Pleather. Check.
Mig Weld one side of a car and spot weld the other side. Check.
Hold fenders down with screws. Check.
Make sure wires hang from everywhere, and carpet that dosn't go the full length of the floor. Check.
Coolant overflow tank is the ground below you. Check.
Over build the engine, tranny, and rear end. The rest is an afterthought. Check.
Old 10-16-05, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yep...like you ( I notice your 440+6 logo) I grew up with Mopar Muscle, and some things still haven't changed after 35 years.
Old 10-16-05, 09:09 PM
LexFather

Great review again. I have give DaimlerChrysler credit, the Magnum/Charger/300C are the same car but they did a GREAT job differentiating the 3, even with the marketing. In Atlanta, all 3 of these cars are everywhere, I'd say 1/2 with giant wheels.

The Charger styling is growing on me some, its another HUGE sedan.

Old 10-17-05, 07:19 PM
440+6
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, Im thinking of buying one of these LX based vehicles, 2007 Challenger!!!
Old 10-18-05, 05:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I always liked the Road Runner's graphics and beep-beep horn. (note my logo). I would probably buy on, poor hardware and all, If Chrysler would just offer one again...probably under the Chrysler nameplate, since Plymouth is now gone. It would be nice to have a modern Road Runner without the maintenance headaches of the old ones.
Old 10-18-05, 06:47 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my neighbors bought a Magnum SRT8. He bought two Magnums when they first came out a while ago (Black and Red), and I am assuming he traded in his black one for the SRT8. You can hear it coming from a long way before you see it. Looks sweet, and he is constantly cleaning it. Ill see if I can drive by his place when he has them out in the front.
Old 10-18-05, 06:50 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I test drove the SRT-8 with 425 hp 6 weeks ago while in Chicago on business.
They wanted $67,000 for the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They admitted that this was a premium of around $15,000 becuae of the limited availability. They gave me the hint that this $15,000 premium could be reduced to 8-$10,000 as though I was going to be dumb enough to buy it for that price.

The car pulls a lot and feels really good, lots of power. However, I wouldn't spend $50,000 on it. I don;t know if dealerships are still seeking this ridiculous premium or not.

Solid car for $40 -$45,000 but wouldn;t pay any more for it.

One last thing, it had big-*** Brembo brakes all the way around. Huge calipers - much bigger than those found on the Nissan Z. Great stopping power.

Ted
Old 10-18-05, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ted920
I test drove the SRT-8 with 425 hp 6 weeks ago while in Chicago on business.
They wanted $67,000 for the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They admitted that this was a premium of around $15,000 becuae of the limited availability. They gave me the hint that this $15,000 premium could be reduced to 8-$10,000 as though I was going to be dumb enough to buy it for that price.

Ted
The dealership I was at last week had at least 2 orange and black SRT8 Charger Daytonas...didn't see any SRT8 Magnums. If my memory is right there was either no markup or a minimal one on them.
If you are serious about wanting one, PM me and I'll call the dealership and see if they are still in stock...they may be sold by now. Rather then pay an outrageous markup in CT, you could come down here and buy one and drive it home.

Quick Reply: Review.....2006 Dodge Magnum R/T