Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AWD GS300 Service Loaners?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-05, 10:53 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD GS300 Service Loaners?

Yep, that's what Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly has started offering. I was quite suprised to see this, especially the AWD model. Could it be a sign of slower-than-expected sales that dealerships are dumping what were suppoesd to be premium models into service loaner fleets?

Then again, it was only after I got a TSX loaner from Pohanka Acura that I realized what a wonderful car that is (which led to my officemate buying one). Otherwise I would have sniffed at the 4-cylinder engine and wondered why Acura positioned a sedan below the TL. It was that loaner experience that wowed me on the car, so maybe they're hoping the same thing will happen with the new AWD GS?
Old 10-16-05, 11:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If you deal with Kevin Donaldson there at Pohanka Service you probably won't have any problems...he's generally a nice guy, and I think highly of him.

That dealership lost my buisness, though, for other reasons....nothing to do with Kevin.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-16-05 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-16-05, 12:11 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you deal with Kevin Donaldson there at Pohanka Service you probably won't have any problems...he's generally a nice guy, and I think highly of him. But......I've got some big problems with that dealership, though ( that's where I bought my IS). The dealership's GM will not allow customers to wash their own cars..they must be washed by dealer personnel. This is a serious no-no in my book, ....no one washes my car but me. As a result they lost my future buisness for as long as he is GM.

my service writer always puts a "do not wash" ticket on my car for me at dealer. I won't let them touch it anymore either.

MM, they demand to wash it ? or you want to actually use their car wash yourself and they won't let you?
Old 10-16-05, 12:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No. They used to do it manually....I don't know if they have an automatic wash now or not....but I don't use automatic washes. They can damage the paint...as can improper hand washing. I wanted to use the hose...manually. They said no. So....they pay the price...loss of my buisness....until their policies change. But that's no reflection on the service people....that is the GM's screwy idea.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-16-05 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-16-05, 01:30 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No. They used to do it manually....I don't know if they have an automatic wash now or not....but I don't use automatic washes. They can damage the paint...as can improper hand washing. I wanted to use the hose...manually. They said no. So....they pay the price...loss of my buisness....until their policies change. But that's no reflection on the service people....that is the GM's screwy idea.
they do the old manual hand wash at my dealer, with the same dirty nasty rags and towels on every car. After I let them wash it once I noticed some swirls .

touchless car wash isn't bad for your car, is it? that's what I do because my water at home has too many minerals in it. I just bring Meguiars quick detailer spray and MF towels to touch it up and dry it after the touchless.
Old 10-16-05, 02:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Mods ?........Might be a good idea to merge this thread with the previous one on Lexus service departments. That thread also had discussion on Pohanka and its service policies.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ice+department
Old 10-16-05, 02:15 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chuckb
touchless car wash isn't bad for your car, is it?
Many argue that the high pressure of a touchless does more harm than good over time.
The pressure is so strong that is "pushes" the dirt particles along the paint before it actually washes off. If you think of it as an extreme, compare it to sandblasting your car.

However I find that touchless is better than automatic, and if you don't have the facilities or the time to wash it yourself, then touchless would be your next best alternative.
Old 10-16-05, 02:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I tried touchless washes years ago. bizzy is correct...the water pressure is so strong...and at such a high temperature....that it actually dulled the factory finish on the outside mirrors and trim on my 1990 Mazda. Fortunately, SCRATCH-OUT, the product that I recommend so much to so many new-car buyers...was able to break through the damaged layers and restore the finish.

http://www.kitwax.com/html/kitProducts.htm
Old 10-16-05, 03:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

If you deal with Kevin Donaldson there at Pohanka Service you probably won't have any problems...he's generally a nice guy, and I think highly of him. But......I've got some big problems with that dealership, though ( that's where I bought my IS). The dealership's GM will not allow customers to wash their own cars..they must be washed by dealer personnel. This is a serious no-no in my book, ....no one washes my car but me. As a result they lost my future buisness for as long as he is GM.
Do you mean you wanted to wash your car at the dealership? If so I can see why the GM would say no. If you simply asked the dealer NOT to wash your car but they insisted on doing it anyway, then I agree that's not good customer service.
Old 10-16-05, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Do you mean you wanted to wash your car at the dealership? If so I can see why the GM would say no. If you simply asked the dealer NOT to wash your car but they insisted on doing it anyway, then I agree that's not good customer service.
No...they will delete the wash option if you ask....but still will not allow customers to do it themselves. However, Saturn dealers....who also hand-wash every car at every service....DO allow customers to wash their own cars....at least the ones I saw. In fact, whan I owned a Saturn in the 1990's and DID wash it myself, the guys in the clean-up bin liked it because I always showed them pointers on how to do it better.

Anyhow, I'm going to drop this subject now.....I think we've discussed it enough. I also realize that I am not like many other customers.....most people could not care less about something like this.
Old 10-16-05, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iceman
Then again, it was only after I got a TSX loaner from Pohanka Acura that I realized what a wonderful car that is
What did you think of the TSX? I was up at Pohanka service myself ....a while ago.... and checked out a TSX manual.....no automatics were in stock. I thought the TSX was well-made, and I liked the red and blue gauges (which seem to be an Acura staple now), but was not impressed with the black and brushed-metal interior on the sample I drove. The beige interior with the wood was much better looking. Overall, though, I agree with you that it is not in the league of most Lexus products. For one thing, it did not have enough engine.
Old 10-16-05, 09:10 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Anyhow, I'm going to drop this subject now.....I think we've discussed it enough. I also realize that I am not like many other customers.....most people could not care less about something like this.
No, I think its a valid topic. Ask the people at autopia.org

Albeit in a different thread though.
Old 10-16-05, 09:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

No...they will delete the wash option if you ask....but still will not allow customers to do it themselves. However, Saturn dealers....who also hand-wash every car at every service....DO allow customers to wash their own cars....at least the ones I saw. In fact, whan I owned a Saturn in the 1990's and DID wash it myself, the guys in the clean-up bin liked it because I always showed them pointers on how to do it better.

Well, I expect Lexus doesn't want anyone involved in the process as there's liability issues involved.

But I like getting service at Lexus dealerships BECAUSE they wash my car!
Old 10-16-05, 09:57 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
But I like getting service at Lexus dealerships BECAUSE they wash my car!
I love how they clean the INTERIOR as well. Power washing winter floor mats in the dead of the season is great. Makes the car feel so clean
Old 10-16-05, 10:26 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What did you think of the TSX? I was up at Pohanka service myself ....a while ago.... and checked out a TSX manual.....no automatics were in stock. I thought the TSX was well-made, and I liked the red and blue gauges (which seem to be an Acura staple now), but was not impressed with the black and brushed-metal interior on the sample I drove. The beige interior with the wood was much better looking. Overall, though, I agree with you that it is not in the league of most Lexus products. For one thing, it did not have enough engine.
I know this is offtopic, but since you asked about the TSX, I'll add my two cents. My brother in law has a 05 TSX that I got to use for an entire weeked while he was on a trip. Comparing the fit and finish and general feel of the interior I would say it is just as good if not better in some areas than my 04 Lexus RX330 and a better built car over all than my sisters 99 ES300. With it comes to the TSX and RL I just don't buy that it is not up to par with Lexus cars. I wont speak for the TL since I don't have extensive time in that car, but the TSX and RL is as good as any Lexus I have owned when it comes to the quality of the interior and general "Feel" of the materials and build quality. My borther in laws car is the 6-Speed manual so I don't know how the automatic feels. However, it does have 200 HP. Comparing the percieved power bewtween my 230HP RX330 that supposed to have a 0-60 of high 7 seconds, the TSX felt much more powerful. The manual TSX gets average of low 7 second 0-60 times, so I think the automatic would be about 0.5 seconds slower. That should put it right in line with the IS250.

Quick Reply: AWD GS300 Service Loaners?