Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scion tC Supercharger finally available

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-05, 06:36 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Price is a little high, but its comprable to what you would find in an aftermarket s/c or turbo set up. At least you get some sort of warranty with this one!!!

***edit***

Also, I could have SWORN that TRD said a while ago (I think when the tC was first released) that they would be going with a turbo. Correct me if I am wrong. I wonder what happened if that is indeed the case??
Old 10-18-05, 06:40 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3

Also, I could have SWORN that TRD said a while ago (I think when the tC was first released) that they would be going with a turbo. Correct me if I am wrong. I wonder what happened if that is indeed the case??

You very well may be correct, but the supercharger rings a bell somewhere back in my memory as being talked about before the release of the tC
Old 10-18-05, 11:09 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by Stage3
Price is a little high, but its comprable to what you would find in an aftermarket s/c or turbo set up. At least you get some sort of warranty with this one!!!

***edit***

no, they said supercharger from the beginning, I think they might have mentioned a turbo for the xa, and xb, as they already have TRD turbo kits for them in Japan
Old 10-18-05, 03:12 PM
cloudnine
Pole Position

A few words of caution here. If, as was the case with the superchargers installed on the Tacoma truck, Toyota dealers are simply installing the S/C without any changes to the fuel delivery and engine management systems, you WILL have a problem with pinging and destructive EGTs. As someone said, this could be "a very expensive way to aluminize your exhaust." Luckily for us Tacoma owners, this problem was solved by the aftermarket, namely Underdog Racing Development, which a couple of years ago started providing bigger injectors and pumps, cooler plugs and thermostats, and a piggyback, the Split Second FTC. Later on, TRD came out with its own solution, a 7th injector kit to give the engine more fuel, but this was more of a band-aid than a really well-thought-out system. So please be aware that the $3,000+ that you spend on a Scion S/C may be only the start of what you will spend on the S/C upgrade.
I should also mention that adding the URD fuel mods to my supercharged truck gave me a 21% increase in HP - from 205 to 249 - after tuning. I have never regretted having the S/C and related mods on my truck. It has a torque curve that is at maximum, or near maximum, anywhere above 2150 RPM. A 4x4 Tacoma truck that I know of is running a smaller-than-stock pulley and a water injection system, and it is putting out over 300rwhp (from an N/A base of 140rwhp).
So a properly set up S/C Tc should be lots of fun and - gimme a break! - it will have gobs more torque than an RSX type S.
Old 10-18-05, 10:38 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MSRP: 3200
Cost: 2800

=[ at that price, people may as well get the turbo kits being offered by aftermarket groups... especially since this is running 7 PSI w/ VVT-i x_x The oil pressure change from the boost will affect VVT-i performance... that's why most of the power is derived AFTER 4000 RPM... which makes it useless to get this s/c... it's weird =\ VVT-i negated the point of having a supercharger =P

At least the MSRP was lower than expected. Many thought it'd be 4200 for the kit (installation not included). Anyhow... in the end, it's still a front wheel drive car =P At least it's an option available to the Civic-kiddies. At least it's a full blown kit... not just a charger + TRD stickers =D
Old 12-14-06, 07:56 PM
oliveiraej
Rookie

Default Are there any superchargers for the 2006 GS 300 AWD yet?

I have the need for speed
Old 12-14-06, 08:56 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not impressed as to how "shoe-horned" the supercharger is once installed...

Old 12-15-06, 12:11 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oliveiraej
I have the need for speed
maybe you should start a new thread in the FI section
Old 12-15-06, 12:31 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's sure news to me that the tC supercharger is new. Toyota dealers in my area have been installing them for some time now....over a year, according to the service managers. At least that is what they have told me....was there a delay on their introduction?
Yeah, when I was looking at these back in feburary of this year the salesman told me that they had superchargers. I told him after test driving a stock one that If I wear to get it, then it had to be supercharged because stock was to slow. He gave me a break in price which there not supposed to do on Scions and my total was gonna be around 19,800 with everything else I wanted. But I needed a co-signer although I was making 4k a month, I was only 18 and didn't wanna drop 10k on a TC at the time for a down payment. So yeah, thats when the Lexus came in to play.
Old 12-15-06, 09:21 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xravexboix
MSRP: 3200
Cost: 2800

=[ at that price, people may as well get the turbo kits being offered by aftermarket groups... especially since this is running 7 PSI w/ VVT-i x_x The oil pressure change from the boost will affect VVT-i performance... that's why most of the power is derived AFTER 4000 RPM... which makes it useless to get this s/c... it's weird =\ VVT-i negated the point of having a supercharger =P

At least the MSRP was lower than expected. Many thought it'd be 4200 for the kit (installation not included). Anyhow... in the end, it's still a front wheel drive car =P At least it's an option available to the Civic-kiddies. At least it's a full blown kit... not just a charger + TRD stickers =D

From the performance per dollar aspect the aftermarket turbo is better but a large part of the SC price is a tested and true product that bolts onto your car and does not void the warranty, in fact it runs good for the entire warranty. Many are willing to pay the factored in price increase for that comfort.
Old 12-16-06, 04:30 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a tc with a tiny turbo setup (full suspension and much more). It is such a crazy fun car to drive daily. Supercharged or stock TC is just another pretty Corrola. It is no Elise or 911 turbo but it gets as exciting to drive as asny of those cars. Go turbo if you have a TC.
Old 12-16-06, 06:07 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

For $20K, it's a good buy But i do like the Civic Si better