Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need Advice - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-05, 01:23 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default My vote.......

Toyota 4 Runner! Awsome vehicle, 4x4, reliable, comfortable.............just add a dvd player & a couple of screens and everyone's happy!
Old 10-18-05, 01:41 PM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might be better off finding a used car at a dealership and getting their used car financing deals. 9.9% is mega high Most banks charge more, also try a credit union, they can shave a few points over the banks. Most of the car dealers secure lower rates for the new/used cars they want to move. For example I got my used GS430 with 1.9% financing, in nov. Most likely because its hard to move fast RWD cars in the winter. Shop around at the dealers, you will possibly pay a little more but you might save it and more $$ on interest charges.
Old 10-18-05, 01:48 PM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

Just ran some quick numbers.

$16000 financed for 48 mo.

$405 per/mo @ 9.9 % Total interest = $3440
$372 per/mo @ 5.5 % Total interest = $1856

$1584 savings over 4 years, @ $33 savings per.mo.
Shopping for the best rate is going to be key.
Old 10-18-05, 03:39 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys,

When I decide on the car I want I will see what kind of financing they can offer me before I use the financing I have right now.

I went today looking at some things and ran into the G35 coupe Was niiiiiiice!! Thankfully it was an auto or I probably would have left with it.

I was also considering a GS430.

Whatever I buy I will make sure it has a warranty so I won't have to deal with any problems for the first couple of years, and by that time I will probably have sold it for something else.

LOL - too many options and not enough sense!!

Thx guys, keep em coming.

Jonny
Old 10-18-05, 03:44 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93LS
How about honda PILOT.... not too big not too small excellent quality and 4wd at good price too.
they just introduced 8 seater...

93LS
Just introduced? Its been an 8-seater since it was launched as a 2003 model. I don't know much about its modding potential, buts its a Honda if that tells you anything. We have a 2003 Pilot, and overall its a very reliable, comfortable vehicle. Its no slouch either. It's not a "real" 4x4 in the offroading sense, but its good enough for the tarmac.

Scott
Old 10-18-05, 04:17 PM
Gunthaa
Driver School Candidate

Why would you need a HUGE SUV like an Armada or a navigator when you have ONE KID. Thats a joke. Thats almost as bad as the soccer moms who drive excursions around because they have one kid and groceries. Forget about free gas, we dont need any more earth destroyers on the road. No offense Go with a medium toyota SUV, like the Highlander or 4Runner like someone mentioned.
Old 10-18-05, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
My needs - big, comfortable, 4x4 if an SUV - basically a comfortable family car.

I am not a truck guy, not a small car guy, and not a boring car guy ( By boring I mean Camry, Outback, Accord etc. I am in no way saying that they are not great cars, just not something that interests me. Subaru's don't interest me unfortunately either.)

Basically I think I am looking at big SUV's - Escalade, Navigator, Armada, Yukon Denali.

I have a son so I want him to be both safe and comfortable in his car seat. DVD would be nice for him too.

As for cars, I need to do some research.

Thank you everyone for their advice.

Jonny
You probably won't be able to buy a brand-new SUV in that size class for under $30,000. You'll probably either have to either get one used or step down one size class.

The reason I say PROBABLY won't instead of definitely won't is that big SUV's currently aren't selling well, ( due to high gas prices, of course ) and some will sell at deep discounts....or maybe some leftover employee-price models. You may luck out and get a new one that size for 30K or under....hard to say. Anyway, good luck.
Old 10-18-05, 05:25 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It's funny, you mentioned that you're not a "boring car guy," and then go on to talk about considering an Escalade, Navigator, etc. Have you ever driven one of these pigs? Jiggly, shaky, creaky, terrible brakes, they don'y handle well (how can people describe them as "fun to drive?" Persona non Driver)- not my cup of tea to be sure. I'm not trying to insult you with that statement, but they are certainly not the type of vehicle you'd want to hammer on a curvy road or an offramp (I live for this)!

We have an all-wheel drive Tahoe here at work that I drive occasionally to see customers. I HATE the thing. It seems that the suspension is always jiggling and bouncing - combine that with the low-frequency shuddering from the body/frame connections and I feel like I am driving a humongous paint shaker. And the braking is just plain awful - I can't image towing anything with it.

Obviously, I am not a big fan of SUVs. Every time I see one that was just in an accident it seems to be upside-down on the side of the freeway (I call them Turtles). They do serve a purpose if you are hauling a work crew or large family, but I typically seem them driven by a soccer mom, all by herself. I can't see how driving one is any more manly than driving a mini van. Speaking of which, if you really need the space, an all-wheel drive Toyota Sienna would do the job, ride better, and be far more economical and reliable.

Also: do you need all-wheel drive? I'm not trying to be cute here, I really don't know the answer to this: does it snow much in Tulsa? I lived in Richmond, VA for a year, and yes, it does snow but it typically does not accumulate enough to even build-up on the roads. The snow basically melts when it hits the ground. I can't imagine driving an all-wheel drive rig 365 days a year just for 3 days when it snows... but that's me.

If you want something somewhat useful, I would look at these cars that are under five years old:

BMW 530i/540i wagon (may have reliability issues, but wagons are cool lowered! )
Mercedes E-Class wagon (again, reliability issues, especially purchased used)
Honda Odyssey
Toyota Sienna (as I mentioned an all-wheel drive version is available)
Lexus LS 400 / early LS 430 (reliable as a stone and a pimp car!)
Lexus RX 300 (even though it is a "chick" car)
BMW X5 4.4 (may have reliability issues)

In a NEW car, you can almost get into an Accord Hybrid for $30K - but you're not concerned with mileage. I also like the Maxda 6 sedan and wagon - great bang for the buck - and the MazdaSpeed version is coming soon with all-wheel drive and 276 hp, but it may be over 30K.

Other than that, I would have to agree, there's not much out there for under $30K that makes me want to have additional car payments. Don't forget to check the insurance rates on any car you are considering- the SUVs might be more expensive to insure than you think!
Old 10-18-05, 06:22 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Well SoCalSC4 raises some extremely good points. I would add to his list the TSX, a used MDX, or maybe something like a used Volvo XC90.

I must say that your list of requirements and constraints pretty much eliminates every vehicle ever made. Between wanting safety, size, AWD, not boring, and under 30K... then saying that you're jazzed by the G35 and GS430, I think you're living in automotive fantasyland. What do you REALLY want?
Old 10-18-05, 08:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
I must say that your list of requirements and constraints pretty much eliminates every vehicle ever made. Between wanting safety, size, AWD, not boring, and under 30K... then saying that you're jazzed by the G35 and GS430, I think you're living in automotive fantasyland. What do you REALLY want?
LOL - yeah, the switch from big SUV to checking out a G35 and SC430 - er...
Old 10-18-05, 08:15 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

How about another GS? maybe a 98 or 99 and keep it stock for everyday driving.... I think bluelex had that at one point...two GS's You can pick one up for betwwen 15-20 I'm sure... Good Luck

Tony
Old 10-19-05, 01:40 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LOL - yeah, the switch from big SUV to checking out a G35 and SC430 - er...
LOL Yeah, I know!! Not SC430 - GS430. That way I am pretty knowlegeable about the car.

To be honest I have no clue what I want - you're right Iceman - I am living in automobile fantasyland!!

I am travelling 50% with work ( all flying) so I am not going to get to drive it a lot - and then my GS400 will be for weekend fun.

I just don't know what to do. Should I give myself a $500 car payment for a car I won't get to drive but 2 days a week Or should I get a $3000 beater and be done with it?

Decisions decisions!!

Jonny
Old 10-19-05, 01:56 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
I just don't know what to do. Should I give myself a $500 car payment for a car I won't get to drive but 2 days a week Or should I get a $3000 beater and be done with it?

Decisions decisions!!
I am not sure I understand. If you really are only driving the car 2 days a week, why not just drive the GS? It is big enough and safe enough for your son. (At one point I had 2 car seats in the rear. ) No car payments. I love my car but let's be real. It is a 98. It is not a rare car. If you run this one down, you can get another newer year one in the future for probably less that the cars you are contemplating now. All the while, you are enjoying the GS. Gas is not a factor since you are ruling out smaller engine cars to save gas.

I guess I would just drive the GS. That is what I do with my car. Would I leave it parked all day in a public place like a mall? No way. But if the trips are within reason, I take the GS everywhere.
Old 10-19-05, 02:02 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Neo
I am not sure I understand. If you really are only driving the car 2 days a week, why not just drive the GS? It is big enough and safe enough for your son. (At one point I had 2 car seats in the rear. ) No car payments. I love my car but let's be real. It is a 98. It is not a rare car. If you run this one down, you can get another newer year one in the future for probably less that the cars you are contemplating now. All the while, you are enjoying the GS. Gas is not a factor since you are ruling out smaller engine cars to save gas.

I guess I would just drive the GS. That is what I do with my car. Would I leave it parked all day in a public place like a mall? No way. But if the trips are within reason, I take the GS everywhere.
Well I would have to leave it parked at the airport while I am away. And between it getting dinged or stolen, I don't want to take the risk. Apart from that it has enough mods now that I want to limit driving it as a daily driver.

I really don't mind the car payment right now - I have zero debt and make enough that I am not going to be strapped to make the payment.

Thx again for your input,
Jonny
Old 10-19-05, 02:14 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Well I would have to leave it parked at the airport while I am away. And between it getting dinged or stolen, I don't want to take the risk. Apart from that it has enough mods now that I want to limit driving it as a daily driver.

I really don't mind the car payment right now - I have zero debt and make enough that I am not going to be strapped to make the payment.

Thx again for your input,
Jonny
If it is going to be in long term parking at an airport, I'd say get a beater for that purpose and enjoy the GS the other times. Anything else that you may like will also get dinged (and possibly stolen per your reasoning). I have more mods on my car (and there is more to come ) and I still want to drive it all the time.

Like I said earlier, there are situations I would not subject the car to (mall, airport, ...) but I drive mine to pick up food, groceries, kids, ... even to the mall if it is a quick 1-2hr thing. I mod the car to enjoy and maximize its use. The only time that I am in the MDX by choice is on long trips (like my many North-South CA trips) where the extra space is more comfortable for passengers and cargo.

Still, you need to do what is comfortable for you.