Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need Advice - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-05, 05:24 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need Advice - what to do?

Guys,

I recently decided that my GS is going to be more of a garage queen than a daily driver. I don't like having to put so many miles on it everyday to and from work, and also working in sales I have to drive a lot.

So, I went and spoke to my bank about getting a loan, and they told me that if it is >$7500 then they use CapitalOne Auto, and if it is <$7500 then it would go through them.

So, I decided to use the capitalone. Well, they approved me for a dealer purchase of up to $30,000. Basically, you can either apply to buy from a dealer or from a private party. If you go private party then your interest is a little higher. So, I went with the dealer.

Now I was previously planning on spending around $15,000 on a 99 or so Lincoln Navigator. I figured the 4 wheel drive would be nice. For this price range it would have about 80k or so on it.

Well, come to find out that part of the agreement if you are buying a used car is that it has to be a 1999+ and has to have less than 30,000 miles

I can afford to spend all $30,000 but I don't particularly want to. Again, this is solely a work car and to transport my son in.

So I can either try and find a 99+ with less than 30k on the odometer or go new. The problem with buying new is that I really don't feel the need to spend a lot on a car being that the Lex will be in the garage.

I am not worried about gas mileage because my company pays for my gas. I don't like small cars or trucks or the small SUV's so that is out. I would kind of like a 4x4. I would prefer something that is not easily modded as I don't want a 2nd modified car.

My credit is generally pretty good but not great. Therefore I don't want to reject this loan in case I can't get approved for another. The interest rate on this is 9.9% which is to be expected because I don't have A+ credit.

In all honesty, I don't want a little neon or something like that. I want something that looks good and is at least fun.

Thoughts and suggestions please??

Jonny
Old 10-17-05, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You are wise to forget the Navigator. Yes, they are good people movers and will tow and haul heavy loads, but they suck gas like it is going out of style ( even if your company pays for it ) and are VERY unreliable to boot.

For $30,000, ( or less if the dealer will bargain) how about a brand-new non-hybrid AWD Toyota Highlander? It's everything you need in a people-mover SUV without being too large or small. Quality is first-rate...it is Camry-based. Gas mileage, ride, handling, steering, fit-and-finish........all are first-rate by SUV standards.

Another excellent buy for $25,000-$30,000 is the new Subaru Outback. It is even more carlike than the Highlander....but is not as roomy inside.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-17-05 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-17-05, 06:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

outback or maybe a used WRX?

or, theres always the good old reliable 4Runner and the newcomer, the Sequia
Old 10-17-05, 07:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Used Honda Pilot - closer to the Expedition but highly reliable and because it's not a 'fancy' vehicle, it should be a reasonable price used.
Old 10-17-05, 07:08 PM
calispyder
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a 1992-1993 GMC Typhoon. You could probably find one for under 10k. Lots of fun and AWD
Old 10-17-05, 07:14 PM
440+6
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crown Victoria, or Just about any Honda or Acura if you wanna bang some gears most if not all have the option of a manual tranny, another Lexus? Does OK. get a lot of snow? Otherwise AWD or 4WD is useless.
Old 10-17-05, 07:17 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how about something like this?

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...1&cardist=null
Old 10-17-05, 07:24 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuckb
I really like the RX - but for my girl I like bigger ones like the 470 - but it is out of my price range. Anyone have any feelings on the Nissan Armada??

Jonny
Old 10-17-05, 07:28 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

02-04 Subaru WRX (those prices are dropping REALLY quick due to the new 06 body), Nissan Xterra, Toyota 4Runner...
Old 10-17-05, 07:42 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Camry?? or 4 runner
Old 10-17-05, 08:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Dx3
Guys,

I recently decided that my GS is going to be more of a garage queen than a daily driver. I don't like having to put so many miles on it everyday to and from work, and also working in sales I have to drive a lot.

So, I went and spoke to my bank about getting a loan, and they told me that if it is >$7500 then they use CapitalOne Auto, and if it is <$7500 then it would go through them.

So, I decided to use the capitalone. Well, they approved me for a dealer purchase of up to $30,000. Basically, you can either apply to buy from a dealer or from a private party. If you go private party then your interest is a little higher. So, I went with the dealer.

Now I was previously planning on spending around $15,000 on a 99 or so Lincoln Navigator. I figured the 4 wheel drive would be nice. For this price range it would have about 80k or so on it.

Well, come to find out that part of the agreement if you are buying a used car is that it has to be a 1999+ and has to have less than 30,000 miles

I can afford to spend all $30,000 but I don't particularly want to. Again, this is solely a work car and to transport my son in.

So I can either try and find a 99+ with less than 30k on the odometer or go new. The problem with buying new is that I really don't feel the need to spend a lot on a car being that the Lex will be in the garage.

I am not worried about gas mileage because my company pays for my gas. I don't like small cars or trucks or the small SUV's so that is out. I would kind of like a 4x4. I would prefer something that is not easily modded as I don't want a 2nd modified car.

My credit is generally pretty good but not great. Therefore I don't want to reject this loan in case I can't get approved for another. The interest rate on this is 9.9% which is to be expected because I don't have A+ credit.

In all honesty, I don't want a little neon or something like that. I want something that looks good and is at least fun.

Thoughts and suggestions please??

Jonny
Navigator and Armada? They are horrible quality, riding and just giant buses? Why keep the GS in the garage to drive crap?

With gas as high as it is, I'd get something more fuel efficient. Now if u need something like that (bus) how about a new F-150, quality inside and out and ahem "ford tough"

What exactly are your needs for this 2nd car/truck?

Old 10-17-05, 08:59 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Navigator and Armada? They are horrible quality, riding and just giant buses? Why keep the GS in the garage to drive crap?

With gas as high as it is, I'd get something more fuel efficient. Now if u need something like that (bus) how about a new F-150, quality inside and out and ahem "ford tough"

What exactly are your needs for this 2nd car/truck?
My needs - big, comfortable, 4x4 if an SUV - basically a comfortable family car.

I am not a truck guy, not a small car guy, and not a boring car guy ( By boring I mean Camry, Outback, Accord etc. I am in no way saying that they are not great cars, just not something that interests me. Subaru's don't interest me unfortunately either.)

Basically I think I am looking at big SUV's - Escalade, Navigator, Armada, Yukon Denali.

I have a son so I want him to be both safe and comfortable in his car seat. DVD would be nice for him too.

As for cars, I need to do some research.

Thank you everyone for their advice.

Jonny
Old 10-17-05, 09:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Dx3
My needs - big, comfortable, 4x4 if an SUV - basically a comfortable family car.

I am not a truck guy, not a small car guy, and not a boring car guy ( By boring I mean Camry, Outback, Accord etc. I am in no way saying that they are not great cars, just not something that interests me. Subaru's don't interest me unfortunately either.)

Basically I think I am looking at big SUV's - Escalade, Navigator, Armada, Yukon Denali.

I have a son so I want him to be both safe and comfortable in his car seat. DVD would be nice for him too.

As for cars, I need to do some research.

Thank you everyone for their advice.

Jonny
Gotcha. Well I know u dont' want to spend the whole 30k but with all these rebates, doesn't that put u near Tahoe/Expedition price pretty much new or 1 year old? If yu want a true 4x4, do the research, the Escalade is AWD pretty much for example.

Yukon Denali looks nice but I think Genearch sold his b/c it was literally falling apart and he babies his cars.

The Sequioa is hella bland but at least it will work and not rattle like nuts.

As for safe, your son would be safer in a wagon. They score just as high in safety ratings if not higher and they brake better, drive better, etc than any SUV. I can understand driving a 5000 lbs truck feels safe but they are probably more dangerous than anything. But I can also see you'd rather be in the "bigger' vehicle if an accident happened.

Having driven all these SUVs listed, I honestly cannot figure why they are so popular outside the fact they are very spacious inside.

My vote goes for a newer Expediiton.

Old 10-18-05, 12:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
My vote goes for a newer Expediiton.
Dunno, Mike.....I usually agree with your suggestions, but I'm not sure I do this time. It's true that Dx3 said that gas mileage ( one of the Expedition's weak points ) was not an issue, but even so, the Expedition is built off of the same poorly-built, unreliable platform as the Navigator....just with a little less flash to it. I don't want to see him get stuck with a vehicle that has a good chance of ending up a lemon.
Old 10-18-05, 01:06 PM
93LS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about honda PILOT.... not too big not too small excellent quality and 4wd at good price too.
they just introduced 8 seater...

93LS

Quick Reply: Need Advice - what to do?