Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

got ticket in staten island??????????

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-05, 09:44 PM
rottweiler
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry got ticket in staten island??????????

well i was driving to staten island from newjersey in my moms car, i was on rt 440 which is the staten island expressway when all of a sudden i see a cop hidding on the side next to a small over pass, so i hit the brakes a little and then he jumps out of the corner and pulls me over. the thing is that i wasnt really speeding and i had my radar detector on the whole time and it never picked anything up. so he comes over to me and asks for my license and registration, he asked if i knew why i was pulled over and i said no and he said i was doing 70 in a 55 and i knew that was bull since his radar wasnt on, then he tells me that i have a working radar in the car and i tell him i know and that it didnt pick anything up and i wasnt speeding, well he just went back to the car, he comes back with a ticket, i asked him if i can get a print out of how fast i was going and he told me no and that if i wanted to see it i would have to go to court, he was being such an *******, so i tried asking him a question and he kept walking away and he said that he couldnt hear me and just took off. on the ticket it says 70 in a 50 working zone, which is another bull since there was no signs for work zone and they usually are 45 not 50. what should i do. this is my first speeding ticket and i dont want my insurance to go up. should i plead not juilty and hope he doesnt show up at court, and does it make a difference if i live in nj and got a ticket in ny. please help me out guys!!!!
Old 10-17-05, 10:48 PM
rottweiler
Pole Position

dont i have a chance in winning the case? maybe he wont show up to the court case?

plus my radar is up to date with everything, its the passport x50 8500 which has every radar and laser thats out including pop. he never clocked me and i guess he just kind of made up a number, should i even mention about the radar detector in court? its not like they are illegal here and people are allowed to use it. i dont know why he couldnt show me the read out on his radar gun?

Last edited by rottweiler; 10-17-05 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-17-05, 10:55 PM
Fiya
Lead Lap

Read this thread how to beat a ticket and empower yourself I wouldn't rely on your radar detector as an excuse, but you do have options.
Old 10-18-05, 02:05 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the ticket say radar on it? If it does, that is a good start for your case. Check the laws for NY. In CA, a radar ticket is invalid unless there was a traffic survey done in the last 5 yrs. He was on an over pass which is another thing that favors you, especially if the road has lots of other cars. Radar tells you the speed of the STRONGEST signal. It doesn't tell you which direction. So could be the big SUV on the other side of the road. Do a little research on the laws & workings of radar.
Old 10-18-05, 07:30 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What you need to immediately, is photograph the area where the ticket was issued! If he claimed it was a work area, and in fact it wasn't, you need to prove there was no signage. If found guilty of an infraction within a work area, all penalties are doubled! That would be the first point I would fight. Then, go to court with these pictures, and meet with the prosecutor and discuss it. He will try to bargain it to a lesser charge but will still try to fine you (reduce charge to avoid points in exchange for higher fine). If that is not acceptable to you, then plead not guilty and ask for a trial.

Read the thread acidrool mentioned also, as it details how you should prepare for a court date.
Old 10-18-05, 02:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Do you have oversized wheels and tires on your car? We have had much discussion in CL forums about the effects of significantly oversized wheels and tires and how they can make both the speedometer and odometer read low. You may have actually been going 70 like the cop said, thinking you were doing 60-65.