Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LIVE PICS... Nissan GTR! (not from their website)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-05, 01:20 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Variance

I'm speaking more to that they're not just using the FM-platform and slapping the 3.5L VQ into the GTR. Mechnically, it's a completely different car.
Are you sure about that? This reborn FM platform evolved, latest interpretation of the GTR isn't anything of it's previous RB26 heritage. It's using a 3.5L V6 TT as many publications have reported. The sad truth that the Ghosn cost cutting method will be used here...and it's already evident with the shared styling ala 350z G35 and Altima. There's no doubt in my mind the 3.5L V6 TT they claim to use on this modified AWD FM chassis is certain to have a VQ35 or some evolution of it. Nissan doesn't have the money to waste on developing an exclusive engine from scratch. They'll work on what they already have and sell it as if it's ground breaking news as Infiniti will be to the Ukraine.
Old 10-21-05, 06:10 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sigh, the NSX had a FACTORY built for it. Its was the first all aluminum mass produced car. Yet, NO ONE calls it an exotic. And a 911 IS NOT an exotic. A Carerra GT IS an exotic.
Sigh, plenty of people consider the NSX and 911 Turbo exotic cars.

Last edited by jrock65; 10-21-05 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-21-05, 07:44 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
Are you sure about that? This reborn FM platform evolved, latest interpretation of the GTR isn't anything of it's previous RB26 heritage. It's using a 3.5L V6 TT as many publications have reported. The sad truth that the Ghosn cost cutting method will be used here...and it's already evident with the shared styling ala 350z G35 and Altima. There's no doubt in my mind the 3.5L V6 TT they claim to use on this modified AWD FM chassis is certain to have a VQ35 or some evolution of it. Nissan doesn't have the money to waste on developing an exclusive engine from scratch. They'll work on what they already have and sell it as if it's ground breaking news as Infiniti will be to the Ukraine.
Should this not be a suprise? For a while, the G35 have been named as a Skyline for a while so its not a suprise that the Skyline GTR is based off the G35. Again, I just think people here have a hard time adjusting to change. Even R32 and R33 lovers dislike the R34. I love this latest one!
Old 10-21-05, 11:39 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love the way this thing looks. I wonder what the price tag on that car is going to be.
Old 10-21-05, 11:48 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Should this not be a suprise? For a while, the G35 have been named as a Skyline for a while so its not a suprise that the Skyline GTR is based off the G35. Again, I just think people here have a hard time adjusting to change. Even R32 and R33 lovers dislike the R34. I love this latest one!
I'm with him and retrodrive.
Old 10-21-05, 12:27 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
I don't have a hard time adjusting to change. I will admit straight out that I don't like this new interpretation of the Skyline. It lost alot of it's character and it resembles too much of G35/350z FM platform car. That's what made the previous Skylines special...they shared very little parts their labelmates.
Old 10-21-05, 05:52 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

I ses your point man. And it's not a shabby one. Rock on bro.
Old 10-22-05, 06:29 AM
Koma

Just not feeling it. But hey ugly cars can be great performers still.
Why does everyone keep calling the VQ a french motor...
This isn't a contender for the LF-A because the LF-A is in a higher price range segment. You can't compare a 60-70k Skyling to a 100+k LF-A. Just my two cents.
The Supra if they bring it back would be a contender. Especially if they use the 3.5 from the IS. As some have speculated that the 3.5 will be TTed and brought as a Supra. But no word from Toyota as they're secretive as hell. I don't see the Supra reborn because Toyota is pushing all it's sporty and performance vehicles out of the Toyota family and into the Scion name. And I'm sure many will be hurt seeing a Scion Supra or Scion tS or something. I just hope that when the GT-R hits shores and as an Infiniti it doesn't tarnish the Skyline or Infiniti name. Skylines are performance and Infinitis are (supposed to be) luxury.
Old 10-22-05, 06:42 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jrock65
Sigh, plenty of people consider the NSX and 911 Turbo exotic cars.
And they are wrong

Old 10-22-05, 11:05 AM
DPRSupra
Lexus Test Driver

i like it...looks intimidating
Old 10-22-05, 01:57 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

Originally Posted by DPRSupra
i like it...looks intimidating

That.... It does!
Old 10-22-05, 03:00 PM
C-Train
Lead Lap

disgusting! though it does look awesome in this picture:

but i guess the angle hides the nasty lines of the car
Old 10-23-05, 10:54 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

First hand impressions from one of my boys on location in Japan:

Originally Posted by GodZilla
Day 2 Tokyo Motor Show.

Here are some things I got out of it.

The GTR has been seriously growing some appeal for me. The first day I had my droughts but seeing it for the second time without the big crowd allowed me to study the car a little more in detail. I started off in the same place as day 1 the second floor area where you can see the car from different angles a far. I watched the car pivot and rotate on the turntable for about a half an hour wrote down some thoughts then went down to the turntable and walked around the car in close proximity for awhile.

I noticed without the crowd was that the floor had been re-arranged with a variety of Nissans parked closer the GTR now a G35 off to the right side and M directly in front and a few others. This gave me a chance to actually compare the GTR’s looks against other cars. I remember some people compared the GTR to the G35 from the pictures but in person you could see they are radically different! The first thing that grabs your attention is the unique front end design with the flared front fenders, huge mouth and all the carbon. The second is the roofline near the rear window above the rear quarter glass its too hard for me to explain what it does. The third the massive brakes both front and rear. Then the rear, with the carbon diffuser and lower skirt, embedded tail lights and that beefy exhaust.

There were a lot of likes, dislikes and unknowns of the car which I will try to explain. Knowing this is a proto-type car and not a production model it’s hard to tell if some of the items are left off intentionally or are already implemented in some way or manor.

THE UNKNOWNS
Side markers (they will be needed for US models) I’m not sure if the turn signal mounted in the fender will pass US Specs or not.
No Visible Gas Door anywhere on the car.
No Visible Windshield wipers, I didn’t see any
No Door locks on the car (Must be using the new keyless entry,)
The Engine, Interior

THINGS I SAW:
Carbon Fiber every where: Front Bumper, Front Lip, Fenders, Side Skirts, A-pillar, Hood, Rear Wing, Rear Side Skirt Rear Diffuser. It’s hard to tell how much metal, plastic or carbon fiber actually makes up the car. (Example is the hood fully carbon or does it just have carbon inserts) The bottom of the car was completely concealed or has a full length diffuser on it.
All The Carbon fiber work done on the GTR was pretty intense. It’s rare to see carbon work done that well without any flaws in the weaves around corners but then again this is the prototype/display car it hast to be perfect. In my humble opinion (IMHO) I would rather see a bit less carbon to help offset the cost or use the cost in a different area.

I spent most of my time around the front of the car looking through the grill and peaking underneath trying to determine whether or not this thing is turbo charged. It looks like it may have an intercooler but at the same time it looks like it could just be a radiator. The cores looked pretty thick like an intercooler but it almost looked like it sits back too far. IMHO Engine wise it looks for sure that it will be in some V configuration. V8 or V6 (Turbo charged)

The Front End: At first I didn’t like it but after walking around the car several times I started growing on me maybe its because of the uniqueness and quality of the carbon. Unlike the R34 GTR and prior GTR’s the front bumper size is huge. It’s hard to notice in the pictures but the bumper actually goes all the way up to the top of the headlights. I’m sure some aftermarket companies may stray away due to the mere size and costs to ship an item like this limiting your options to customize. The carbon portions looked like possible inserts if that’s the case I can see some cool item coming out of that area sometime.

The mirrors looked to be wider than the g35 and 350z mirrors. If that’s the case you can never have too much view of the rear when maneuvering around.

The brakes looked like unmarked brembo’s huge 6 pots up front and 4 pots rear with 2 piece rotors all around. (I believe the rotors will be one piece on the production version car) The front brakes alone look like enough stopping power to stop a bus.

Here is a similar picture of what the fronts looked like
http://my350z.com/gallery/files/1/3/3/5/CIMG1049.jpg

The Exhaust: With the exception of the tips the exhaust looks very similar to that of 350Z and G35 in which the muffler runs left to right (or right to left) with pipes coming out the side of the muffler then doing a 90 degree turn. The quad tips of the exhaust making the car look mean from the rear, I can imagine the deep throaty sounds from coming from that exhaust just as MEAN!! Knowing how the Z’s and the G’s exhaust went from 2-1 I’m almost guessing this will be the same.

The trunk: The Door seemed to be just a bit smaller than the G35. I saw no obvious way to open it. Also hard to tell if it will be larger or smaller than the G35 that mainly depends on the interior. I’m guessing it will be smaller.

Overall after seeing the GTR in person I don’t think the pictures are doing the car full justice and I can’t wait to see the final product.

Video Clip#2 17mgs with the car in rotation..
Save it to your desktop
http://my350z.com/media/GTR2.wmv