Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drove the 550i today - big mistake

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-05, 01:33 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
I was curious as to what other packages and options included in a 550 that added up to 66K so I went to their site and checked it out. I am a performance oriented so I chose these options.

MSRP $57,400
Distination $670

Options & Packages.
Cold Weather Package+ $750
Premium Sound Package+ $1,800
Sport Package+ $2,300
Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG)+ $0
Active Steering+ $1,250
BMW On-Board Navigation System+ $1,800
Rear Seat Heating+ $350
Power Rear Sunshade/Manual Rear Side Window Shades+ $575
4yrs/50K miles maintainance service included.

TOTAL $66,895

Does everyone think the GS430 or the M45 will be able to compete with the 550?
I didn't pay a lot of attention to the sticker. The one I saw did not have the sport package but it was an automatic. This may sound like I wasn't paying a lot of attention, then again I really wasn't, but I don't remember if it had navi or not but I think it did. It was right around 66K on the sticker and 64K would not have been a problem if I wanted to write a check. I didn't want to. It may be a great car but for my tastes now and $70K, I would look around. And that is not the kind of buyer that sales person buffy the customer slayer was looking for.

Unless all of the competition, Lexus included, want to really step it up, I don't see anyone really competing with the 550 on a performance basis and I wouldn't try. Heck, the 550 is competing performance wise with the old M5. GS430 (or 460) and M45 are not competition if I was really interested in the capability of the 550. The 550 may be the epitome of performance of the non-M five series. Unless there are a lot of buyers several years from now when gas in the US is at $5 a gallon that want to drive those things. Before you post on how people who buy 550s don't care about mileage, that may be true for some, but definitely not all.

I didn't look at the mileage numbers and before some new 550 owner posts about how annoying it is to stop once a week and empty the tank because it is making gasoline, save your breath and bandwidth. My guess is that in the real world combined mileage, not coasting for 100 miles from Donner Summit to Sacramento on I80 in cruise control set on 60, that thing will probably never be out of the teens for mileage and driven hard I will bet it is low teens. I just don't feel like paying for the privilege that much. I would have very few opportunities to use the 550s performance but I would have weekly if not daily opportunities to review the mileage figures. My mileage always varies.
Old 10-21-05, 01:35 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

I hope they just don't raise the price of the GS460 like they did to the new IS.
Old 10-21-05, 02:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you still haven't seen the new 3?! it's everywhere here already

i will be able to drive it hard in 2 weeks, so i am good
Dealers here may be getting them....I just haven't gone down to look at it yet. That car is on my review list, however.
And, don't forget you CA guys often get new products before we in the East do. The down side to that is that CARB, because of emissions, does not allow some cars to be sold there in CA that we CAN get.
Old 10-21-05, 05:07 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RON430
Bimmers always have been drivers cars. They went through a period of being dropdead gorgeous but that is behind them, once again. Went over to the bimmer dealer that is next to the Lexus dealer when my wife's car was in for service and the 550 was a bit of a surprise. Not that the sticker on the one I saw was almost 66K, without tax and license. But that buffy the customer slayer didn't have too much trouble coming down a couple of grand. That was a surprise. Still, 70K for a 5 in my driveway is pretty steep. Too steep for what you get, also IMO.
The car I drove was hard loaded - missing only the rear fold down rear seats (and comfort seats) - $69,500 was the sticker. Even so, I agree, the thought of writing a check that big scares the crap out of me (so much so that I'm going to drive a used 05 545 that is "only" 55K and see what the difference is). Still, what a car.

The dealer only has two slots left for ordering - car would arrive early Jan. They are hot on me to get the order in.

Last but not least, the EPA rating on the car is 17/25 - which I think is pretty darn impressive for the beast that it is.

PS - if it had the rear fold down seats and they would have got me out of my lease, I would have bought it on the spot - I was so impressed. Glad that it was missing the rear fold down seats and I could cool down for a day or two
Old 10-21-05, 06:28 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doug_999
The car I drove was hard loaded - missing only the rear fold down rear seats (and comfort seats) - $69,500 was the sticker. Even so, I agree, the thought of writing a check that big scares the crap out of me (so much so that I'm going to drive a used 05 545 that is "only" 55K and see what the difference is). Still, what a car.

The dealer only has two slots left for ordering - car would arrive early Jan. They are hot on me to get the order in.

Last but not least, the EPA rating on the car is 17/25 - which I think is pretty darn impressive for the beast that it is.

PS - if it had the rear fold down seats and they would have got me out of my lease, I would have bought it on the spot - I was so impressed. Glad that it was missing the rear fold down seats and I could cool down for a day or two
The one that I looked at had the rear fold down seat. Don't know why I focused on that but you don't see it much. I have no doubt that under the right conditions it will hit 25mpg but hp costs. Bimmer has no miracles to pull out of the basket with 380hp on tap. My guess is that car in the real world in my hands would be averaging no better than 17. My GS430 is normally in the 18 to 19 range so I would guess it is doing 90% city driving. And yes, on the highway I have actually done tanks of gas that have been almost 26 mpg but my average tank is 19. With unlimited demand for a resource in finite supply, I will think long and hard about rushing out to get something that I would bet could easily be in the mid teens for mileage. I keep wondering if I own the last V8 I will ever own?

So what was the lease payment?
Old 10-21-05, 06:44 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

The 545i that I test drove was incredible. The handling and steering feel was just PERFECT, and this car is FAST. I can only dream of that type of steering on my GS............But the styling is horrible inside/out and the interior plastics feel very cheap compared to the GS. Plus it doesnt have the great geatures of the GS like a good NAV and rearview camera. Still the 530i will def be one of the cars i will cosider for my next ride.
Old 10-21-05, 07:46 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RON430
So what was the lease payment?
Oh it was bad. We did it on the BMW website - with the options that the sales guy thought would be best for me (Sport, NAV, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, rear shades, comfort access, fold down rear seats, Sat Radio, and Active Steering). I think it came out to $1,163. However, here in IL, you pay sales tax on the Sales price of the car - so figure another $5K in taxes just to get that number. Of course the money factor might get better and this is using list price of the car (I think they will go down about $2k).

Of note, if I were to order the car, I would not get the comfort access or the shades. With two kids, I don't trust comfort access to either a) let them in the car when I am not paying attention or worse b) lock them in the car when I am not paying attention.

Also of note, I think the Subaru Legacy gets almost the same mileage as the 550.
Old 10-21-05, 08:59 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by genearch
Also, save a few more $$ and skip the Active steering
While I loved it, I am going to drive a different 550 on Monday (I hope) without active steering and then immediately afterwards drive a 545 with the active steering. I will add that everyone I know that has active steering loves it.
Old 10-21-05, 10:20 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: there's no beating a BMW's driving experience.
Until you drive a properly running 3rd gen RX-7 (kinda rare tho)
Old 10-21-05, 10:23 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=doug_999] I think it came out to $1,163. QUOTE]

How many miles a year?
Old 10-22-05, 05:58 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=RON430]
Originally Posted by doug_999
I think it came out to $1,163. QUOTE]

How many miles a year?
Sorry - 3 year lease, 12K per year.

They have great deals on the 525 and 530 but nothing on the 550 and if they all get ordered, then BMW won't offer any special deals on the 550
Old 10-22-05, 08:30 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry - 3 year lease, 12K per year.

They have great deals on the 525 and 530 but nothing on the 550 and if they all get ordered, then BMW won't offer any special deals on the 550

Now let's see, $1,163 a month for the lease payment, then add insurance, gas, license, and whatever. $1.50 to $2.00 a mile to drive for three years. That isn't a good driving car. It must be love. Less and less chance to drive that car in the manner that justifies the cost. Every once in a while what you have to give up for what you get just doesn't make the numbers work out.

The only good part, even at $1.50 a mile so $54,000.00 in three years, is the chance to flip the keys at BMWNA and say bye to the car and your $54,000.00. But you will have those driving memories.
Old 10-22-05, 10:00 AM
Coffey454
Rookie

I have to admit, when I first saw the new "Banglized" Bimmers I was disturbed... The 7 is just not pretty, the 3 was weird - especially compared to the E46 which is just a simple, timeless beauty and then the new 5... Ew. That was then, this is now: I still think the 7 is a pig, but the E90 has sweetened on me and the 5 - yeah it's definitely growing on me. It really is true too - No car feels like a Bimmer. They have a feeling that no-one has replicated yet. Porsches do not count for comparison since they are not cars, they are icons. The interior of the new 5 seems of poor quality and a step backwards from the last gen, but without driving one it's impossible to pass judgement on a BMW.
Old 10-22-05, 01:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
feature wise, yes

performance, not even close. the 550 is way on top of the gs430 and m45
hm, i would not be that sure... 545i did not impress before when compared to m45, I wonder if 550 will do the same with new GS460...
Old 10-22-05, 02:03 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

glad I read this thread, friday I thought my eyes where playing tricks on me, on my usual drive to work down the garden state parkway, I was following a 645i that was trailing another 5, the 645 got off to get gas and I realized the other 5 was a 550i, I just thought someone was rebadging but it had a dealer plate on it and further ahead, 2-3 cars was an outstanding blue 5 series with a look I've never seen, it pulled onto the shoulder and as I passed I noticed the M5 on the back to only do a double take at the bangle front design to realized the V10 beast has made it to the local dealers

mind you I had a good day a BMW question for you bimmer guys is the X series sedans, typically the 3 and 5 series a real AWD setup with a front drive shaft,

I'd also like to add I saw the new S-Class, in disquise

Quick Reply: Drove the 550i today - big mistake