Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Drags Pedestrian

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-05, 09:01 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Drags Pedestrian

St. Petersburg, FL
10/20/2005

St. Petersburg police say a car struck and killed a pedestrian on 34th Street South. Police began searching for the car after finding a dismembered body part of the pedestrian in the street. The car was spotted near a southbound toll booth on the Sunshine Skyway bridge with a smashed windshield and evidence of the collision. The driver was elderly and is being evaluated.

This is from Fox13 News in Tampa. The "Evidence" of the collision was the body lodged on the roof of the car. The "elderly" driver was 94. And for those that don't know, the Sunshine Skyway is about 10-15 miles from where the accident happened.

Another good reason to have all elderly people get their licenses revoked.
Old 10-19-05, 10:50 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

I dont mean to sound stupid, but i thought this thread was going to be some funny Video with a Guy trying to Out Drag a Car
Old 10-20-05, 09:14 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why is it that one streetracer kills himself in an accident and there's a nationwide crackdown on streetracing... yet the elderly kill innocent people all the time and no one does a thing. I don't condone either types of drivers, but it's about time the government stop playing "favorites" and just do what it takes to keep everyone safe.
Old 10-20-05, 11:01 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Leets
why is it that one streetracer kills himself in an accident and there's a nationwide crackdown on streetracing... yet the elderly kill innocent people all the time and no one does a thing. I don't condone either types of drivers, but it's about time the government stop playing "favorites" and just do what it takes to keep everyone safe.

If I hear about one more story of an old person killing a pedestrian or driving into a building I am going to fall out.....
Old 10-20-05, 12:32 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Here is the article from the Tampa Tribune

Windshield Impales, Kills Man In Hit-Run
Skip directly to the full story.
By ANTHONY McCARTNEY amccartney@tampatrib.com

Published: Oct 20, 2005

ST. PETERSBURG -- Police were investigating a hit-and-run late Wednesday that involved a homeless man impaled on a sedan windshield.

The driver was stopped at the southbound Interstate 275 tollbooth of the Sunshine Skyway, police said.

The man had been hit more than three miles away at 46th Avenue South and 34th Street South, police said. He apparently was struck by the car while crossing 34th Street. The impact severed one leg and wedged him through the windshield.

Shortly before 8:30 p.m., the car pulled into a middle tollbooth lane where motorists pay $1 to cross the bridge.

Police said the driver was detained and an a ambulance was called. The driver, identified only as an elderly man, was taken to a hospital.

The dead man is thought to have been a transient, police said.

It was unclear whether the driver would be charged.

Two toll lanes were closed as police investigated the crash, with the car covered by a white sheet. Traffic used the other lanes.

Officers examined evidence where the man was struck. A white sheet covered the leg, and an officer collected two mismatched shoes.
Old 10-20-05, 12:55 PM
LexFather

I am moving the threads b/c it has "car" in the title, thus it belongs in car chat

Old 10-20-05, 01:04 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stage3
It was unclear whether the driver would be charged.

WTF!!!!!!! Since when does being old give you the right to commit manslaughter and then leave the scene????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-05, 01:41 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

driving old farts are lethal around here.
Old 10-20-05, 04:35 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Leets
WTF!!!!!!! Since when does being old give you the right to commit manslaughter and then leave the scene????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well they took him to the hospital after the accident and they diagnosed him with Dimensia. The guy is 94 years old. I dont seriously think he would survive to make it to trial, yet it doesnt justify him getting off scott free...
Old 10-20-05, 04:55 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

well the reason why OLD people have so much clout is because they VOTE...

the AARP is friggin insane and i heard like 85-90% of their members VOTE....

sooo unless we vote against those old farts, we'll never get them to be accountable...