Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

question for the horsepower Gods

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-05, 09:41 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for the horsepower Gods

So i've been wondering, with the old way of calculating hp, it seemed that horsepower to the wheels was about 15-20% lower than crank hp if the car had an auto tranny Now my question is, that with the new SAE corrected numbers... for example the IS350 having 305ish SAE hp, would its real world wheel hp still be about 15% less, or is the SAE number going to be closer to the wheel hp number??
Old 10-19-05, 10:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm, very interesting thoughts there. maybe we can wait for some new peoplt o ahve their cars dyno and we will see
Old 10-19-05, 10:56 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

It seems like the ratings are fairly close to the wheel hp ratings. The new Honda Civic Si for example has been shown to put down something like over 210+ hp at the wheels even though it's advertised as 197hp at the crank. It's probably mostly Honda underating the car but I think for the most part, new SAE hp ratings on manual cars will probably put down at the wheels around the same amount that is rated at the crank. Maybe a 5% drivetrain loss on manuals and 10% on auto's. We'll just have to wait and see until people start putting more new Honda and Toyota cars on the dyno. Apparently Nissan decided they are to cool to update their numbers so we can't use them.
Old 10-19-05, 11:27 PM
AgentWD-40
Driver

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
It seems like the ratings are fairly close to the wheel hp ratings. The new Honda Civic Si for example has been shown to put down something like over 210+ hp at the wheels even though it's advertised as 197hp at the crank. It's probably mostly Honda underating the car but I think for the most part, new SAE hp ratings on manual cars will probably put down at the wheels around the same amount that is rated at the crank. Maybe a 5% drivetrain loss on manuals and 10% on auto's. We'll just have to wait and see until people start putting more new Honda and Toyota cars on the dyno. Apparently Nissan decided they are to cool to update their numbers so we can't use them.
I know the new SAE ratings won't let you over rate, I also thought you couldn't under rate either. I thought it was pretty much reported it as is. Perhaps that is incorrect though.
Old 10-20-05, 12:18 AM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AgentWD-40
I know the new SAE ratings won't let you over rate, I also thought you couldn't under rate either. I thought it was pretty much reported it as is. Perhaps that is incorrect though.
Yeah you know thats a good point. I wish ALL manufacturers would update their numbers so it wouldn't be so confusing.
Old 10-20-05, 05:45 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Yea I think its playing a very dirty game if a good amount of the world has recalculated to SAE, but certain manufacturers haven't. Majority of the public has no clue between the difference of SAE or the old method crank hp or wheel horsepower.
Old 10-20-05, 06:40 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Yeah you know thats a good point. I wish ALL manufacturers would update their numbers so it wouldn't be so confusing.
I agree. But if Nissans don't have the most power, why buy one? So I think they are going to hold on for as long as they can.

Old 10-20-05, 04:33 PM
440+6
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All engines are rated at the crank, the "new" way of dyno'ing engines only benefitted GM, because, from what I hear they were the ones trying to get the SAE hp ratings to change and it did
Old 10-20-05, 08:12 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
But if Nissans don't have the most power, why buy one?
Well for their superior build quality, of course.