Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 Acura RL pricing announced

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-05, 10:56 PM
MarkW2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The RL has 3 MAIN reasons its not selling:

1. It looks like a STRETCHED OUT Honda Accord with the headlights from the Odessy minivan. I saw these cars parked one behind the other in the same dark gray color a few days ago and i was amazed how similar they look, everything from the overall shape down to the door handles is styled exactly the same.

2. The Acura brand is WEAK. Most people buy luxury cars for the brand name and could care less about anything else. If the average consumer has a choice between a 50k Lexus GS AWD or 50k Acura, 95% of the time they will pick the Lex. The same way most people buy Eclass and 5series rather than the GS, its all about the brand name.

3. The PRICE...........It costs too much. People who currently own the 35k TL, Acura's core customers cant upgrade to the 50k RL, the gap is too large. As far as new customers, there is no reason to buy the RL bec the main LUXURY brands at this 50k price point all offer an AWD sedan, such as GS AWD, 530xi, E 4matic, A6, STS. I dont see any MB or BMW customers jumping ship to Acura when they can get the same type of car with a bigger brand name for a few thousand more.
It's a good thing I didn't buy the Acura. Otherwise I'd be totally screwed!
Old 10-21-05, 05:19 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The RL has 3 MAIN reasons its not selling:

1. It looks like a STRETCHED OUT Honda Accord with the headlights from the Odessy minivan. I saw these cars parked one behind the other in the same dark gray color a few days ago and i was amazed how similar they look, everything from the overall shape down to the door handles is styled exactly the same.

2. The Acura brand is WEAK. Most people buy luxury cars for the brand name and could care less about anything else. If the average consumer has a choice between a 50k Lexus GS AWD or 50k Acura, 95% of the time they will pick the Lex. The same way most people buy Eclass and 5series rather than the GS, its all about the brand name.

3. The PRICE...........It costs too much. People who currently own the 35k TL, Acura's core customers cant upgrade to the 50k RL, the gap is too large. As far as new customers, there is no reason to buy the RL bec the main LUXURY brands at this 50k price point all offer an AWD sedan, such as GS AWD, 530xi, E 4matic, A6, STS. I dont see any MB or BMW customers jumping ship to Acura when they can get the same type of car with a bigger brand name for a few thousand more.
1. The sales were slightly weak because the residuals were not there. They have improved and the sales are doing well - especially compared to the previous gen. Also it is one model totally loaded. The GS has a RWD and AWD model and lots of options (for low priced version and a higher priced version). In September I think the GS300 outsold the RL by 800 cars. Not too bad if you ask me.

2. That's changing quick - and will continue to do so if the RL continues to do well in mags like C&D and Consumer Reports.

3. The lease payment difference is about $100 or so. Was taling to a guy at the dealer just the other day and while he picked the TL, he did so just to save the cash for his kids college.
Old 10-21-05, 06:00 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

My thoughts on the RL are very simple....

It is definitely the car to buy for the valued minded consumer...but on the other hand do you really look at "value" when you are out in the market for a 50K dollar car? Value in terms of what is the best 50K car to buy as oppose to watching your dollars, in its literal sense.

The 05 RL was a loaded vehicle - it did not lack anything. AWD drivetrain...technology at its pinnacle - Sattelite traffic, real time voice naviagation, tire pressure monitor, keyless access and start. luxury wise, with a kicka$$ bose system and performance boasting 300HP. The price tag - at $50K. BUT an RL now you can buy for 40-42K brand new if you can find an 05 remaining in stock. A toyota avalon limited fully loaded you can buy for 37-38K , so why would you buy that when you can get an RL for 42K?!?! only about 5K more. If you can find a new RL that is.

The styling, design, luxury appeal, technology, refinement and performance cannot be beat for a $40K car. Youc ould probably even get a used one with a few thousand miles for under $40K.

My point is that the RL is a super buy in its class. Yeah the name isnt there for acura as comapred to a Lexus or Mercedes or BMW...but it is still a worthy opponent for wut it offers. A lexus GS fully loaded with AWD and same options eqipped fully loaded will sticker for about 53K which can be bought for about 47K. 40K and 47K is still quite a lot AND it will nto give you 300HP either.

When acura boasts that it is after luxury with an emphasis on value, it is true. I do see it. It is definitely a value packed company. The question is that are people who are goign to spend 50K goign to really look for "value" in terms of watching their dollars in its literal sense, or going after "value" in terms of the best car to buy in that class. I really dont think they are going to consider the earlier.

Maybe in that sense acura has suffered and not been able to win customers. But nonetheless i will argue for them that their RL product is superb.

thanks
Old 10-21-05, 06:28 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
1. The sales were slightly weak because the residuals were not there. They have improved and the sales are doing well - especially compared to the previous gen. Also it is one model totally loaded. The GS has a RWD and AWD model and lots of options (for low priced version and a higher priced version). In September I think the GS300 outsold the RL by 800 cars. Not too bad if you ask me.

2. That's changing quick - and will continue to do so if the RL continues to do well in mags like C&D and Consumer Reports.

3. The lease payment difference is about $100 or so. Was taling to a guy at the dealer just the other day and while he picked the TL, he did so just to save the cash for his kids college.
1. The ONLY reason sales might have improved is because of the MASSIVE discounts that are being offered, which is EMBARASSING for a brand new model. The previous Gen RL sold so bad that anything would be an improvement.
2. I dont see their brand image changing that much. Acura's products have certainly improved but you cant have a strong LUXURY brand if you are giving out discounts on your flagship model.

IMO Honda/Acura doesnt have the resources to compete on the same level as Toyota/Lexus or even Nissan/Infiniti. Its best hope is to remain a value based luxury brand and forget about catching Lexus or Infiniti.
Old 10-21-05, 10:14 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
hah, and you can buy that POS for $42,000
That is a pretty harsh statement that seems to be coming from someone who has never driven the car, that does not know much about the car or its competition and has a bias against the RL and Acura. I am sure most people would not agree with that statement. The RL is definitely nowhere near a POS. I don't know what reviews you have read that say it is a terrible car because the majority of reviews I have read from legitimate car magazines love the car and it usaully places higher then the new GS and most of its competition. If someone thinks it is overpriced at 50K then the new GS300 and M35 optioned the same or even more are overpriced too. These cars do not have any advantage over the RL that make them seem well worth their price besides having entry level low optioned models that are priced a couple thousand below the RL. Actaully the RL is the one that still comes off better because it still has more horsepower then the v-6 models and comes standard with a few options they do not have.

When I consider a car, even a more expensive luxury/sports car I do not just go by brand name and what is perceived to be more prestigious, instead I do research on what the actual car offers and if I feel the price is worth it and what I like. If people just went by what is the top perceived luxury brand then most of us would only consider Mercedes and possibly BMW for its sports/luxury combination. There are Mercedes models and BMW models that I would not even want to buy even though they are perceived as the most prestigious brands. Even though Audi is not seen as prestigious or successful as Mercedes or BMW I would take a A8 and A6 over their current competing models and not feel that I am driving an inferior brand or car. Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti are all upscale car brands from less expensive volume car makers and they all have their slightly different positons on the scale. Lexus has been the most successfull in selling large RWD sedans but I don't see this huge differnce in perception over Acura and Infiniti that I would just choose a Lexus over other competing cars just because it has the LEXUS name on it even though the Lexus car may not be as good or I may not like it as much. I see the RL as a great car even though I was hoping it would cost a little less when it first came out. It offers just as much as its competition and more in many cases but it only comes one way loaded where with the others there is choice in engine size, rwd or awd, and seperate options. All mid price Japanese luxury cars like the GS and M are being sold at lower prices now not just the RL because many people feel they are a little overpriced and that market has much more competition now and many lower priced cars are almost just as nice. The RL is definitely not a POS.
Old 10-21-05, 11:35 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

They do need to offer more options packages and lower MSRP, IMO. I think they'd sell a lot more RLs if they did and make more profit.
Old 10-22-05, 12:27 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

But you are forgetting that the same equipped car is around the same price for BMW, Infiniti, and Lexus.

But maybe a better strategy is to offer packages and options to compete in that sense
Old 10-22-05, 06:02 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS3rdwow
But you are forgetting that the same equipped car is around the same price for BMW, Infiniti, and Lexus.

But maybe a better strategy is to offer packages and options to compete in that sense
Unfortunately the same car from BMW is up around $57K.
Old 10-22-05, 07:16 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
$3800 for four different tires and NOT having to include a spare?

No further comment.
Its not their fault really. Acura has pertty much to this day no clue what the premium luxury car buyer wants, thus their failures in this class again.

You can sell loaded cars in the econo luxury (sub 30k) and entry level luxury class (30-40k)the strategy seems to work there. But it DOES NOT work in the 50k class, thus in ONE YEAR, the car being marked down 10K. Its not even a secret anymore.

The RL is not a bad car at all, people just dismiss the Acura brand at 50k and more when they can get a true luxury brand, even if the car has less features, less power etc.

BMW sells as many 184hp, overpriced (probably about 50k when they roll off the lot) 525i as Acura sells SH-AWD, 300hp, NAV, loaded RLs.

Think about that everyone. IMAGE is just HUGE the more a car costs. Just ask Audi in America (can't begin to sell 100k cars a year here) or the VW Phaeton. Sure there are those that could care LESS about a brand or image (or having to get your 50k car serviced behind RSXs and INtergras with Altezzas) but MOST people DO, thus your sales figures.

The luxury market is SATURATED with just good and great cars now. Acura missed its 20k sales target (very conservative #) with a BRAND new car that totally SMOKES the last RL.

Old 10-22-05, 07:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
Base MSRP went up from $49,100 to $49,300. The CMBS, ACC, Run-flats package is an extra $3800 ($53,100 total).
[]
CMBS and ACC, by the way, for those who are interested, means Collision Mitigation Braking System and Adaptive Cruise Control. I was scratching my head trying to figure this out until checking the Acura web site. The run-flats, by the way, are Michelins.
Old 10-22-05, 07:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks, Mike......but please disregard my previous comment about the outrageous $3800 markup for just four tires. See my subsequent post...I did not realize it included two other major packages with it......a MUCH more reasonable deal.

( Still a little early in the morning for me after a long sleep Friday night...I may need another cup of coffee )
Old 10-22-05, 07:50 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, Mike......but please disregard my previous comment about the outrageous $3800 markup for just four tires. See my subsequent post...I did not realize it included two other major packages with it......a MUCH more reasonable deal.

( Still a little early in the morning for me after a long sleep Friday night...I may need another cup of coffee )
No problem.

Its not just an Acura thing. Infiniti until the current M45 can't sell in this price range and they are not totally convicning, since they can't give away Q45s EVER.

And look at AUDI, they sell so well in Europe, the A6 finally isn't based on the Passat, it has its own platform but they sell in just as small numbers as the RL and they have MULTIPLE models to chose from.

Audi just isn't considered a premium brand by the general publc in America, which is nutty b/c the interiors are top rate, the cars are good looking (if a lil bland) and well, the A8 is SUPERB.

Last edited by LexFather; 10-22-05 at 08:28 PM.